BLACK BOX

i see him lots of times off of possesion pt or otter pt in the summer times hes got a nice grady thats for sure.

This is one subject I'll dive right in on. I had this conversation with old Blainie Scott (Owner of Scotty Products) and his supplier from Russell Electronics Ltd.(The folks that make the black box) a year before Blainie died. Both agreed that if you're running a fibreglass boat with one motor and two riggers, the black box will do absolutely nothing for you except act as a placebo. Your boat is not producing enough of a current to matter one iota. If however, you run a metal boat, have more than one motor, or fish 3 or more riggers, then the black box will be helpful. The more metal in the water, the more current you're producing. Unless of course you're a complete git when it comes to wiring.

They both laughed when I asked about a 17 foot boston whaler, with a 50 Yammie on it, but said it was the average fishermen that didn't need one, that made them their money.

I believe that the average fishermen will buy anything if they think it will improve their fishing chances, and if after using the product, they catch a fish, they will automatically assume that it was the product, and the product only, that caught them that fish. Remember Dumbo's feather?

The fish bite the best when they are hungry. Simple as that, a certain tide doesn' t mean buttons to the fish, it only assists the fisherman on how the can efectivly present their lure to the fish. Payed very close attention to this subject over the years and have changed many angler's minds in the process.

Wolf, I am not disagreeing with you, I'm just not completley sold on the fact that the Flood is better. Sure I grew up with my Dad telling me all the time that the flood is better but I have not seen anything like it, From Trial Island to Langara Island. Sure there are spots that the flood will push the bait into like the Meat hole and Beachy Head but I think its just myth.
TT

Edited by - totally tyee on 02/20/2004 13:31:03

Alexis what if your running two motors and the kicker is not grounded and the boat is not bonded. Your cannon balls your using the lead is bad, you connect the downrigger clip straight to the wire without nylon cored or stainless swivels. You have green wiring or you have power from one or two wires not leading anywhere. You don't have your battery in a battery box, not changing your Zincs etc, etc. This is not too say that these guys will not catch fish, but the fisherman i see at Sooke doing well in derbies year after year, have Malcolm Russell test there boats every year for problems. And i bet that everyone of them has some sort of black box whether they need it or not. Some boats are just plain fishy they don't need help but others do and i have seen and help friends dial in there boats when one side of the boat is not producing. I have changed friends minds into getting a black box, not because they catch more fish but because thats just one less problem working against you. Dial them in !!!!

well TT that is your opinion but from the many years fishing sooke i probably fish it 5 days a week min.sometimes every day for long stretches in the summer it is almost scary how day to day the bite will come on later and later each day, until it will flip back to an early morning bite.
For the last 8 years i keep track in this book i made each fish i catch ,what time ,what it was caught on ,how big,wind direction and speed,location,wheather cloudy or sunny fog rain etc., and how deep, I know that sounds anal but growing up and being taught bye a bunch of old timers now.( they werent when i was a kid LOL) they always would say to me to catch a spring think like a spring.It is almost scary how when you look back after the year of fishing how you see a definate pattern with the current flow to fish biteing at various times. Thats how i determine what time i head out for charters because as you know when you have paying guests all they want is fish they dont care about times they are on a meat hunt they want what they are paying for especially if its only a 5 hour charter, us as guides want them back as repeat clients so when you know when the fish are going to bite thats when you go out.
Its quite funny when you head out to otter pt. at around 11:00 and you ask the regulars you see out there all the time hows it going and the say" been here since 5 am only seen 3 fish caught now im leaving".then the flood starts around 12:30 and you start seeing fish being caught all around you till the flood starts declining and all you see around you are the guide boats the the few die hards who knows whats going on.Hopefully what i have said will help people catch more salmon because thats what its all about right catching fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Wolf i find the Trap good on the Ebb and Otter good on a flood, but sometimes its a little difficult to fish Otter on the flood in the afternoon with a westerly blowing in. Thats why alot of those guys fish the morning because they can't stick it out when it blows up. I see you around Secretary alot but i haven't found much success there, still trying to figure out which tide is best for there. Any advice or is the flood still the best?

Hello thanks for all the great advice here... I just purchased the pro troll black box much cheaper than scotty's and in case you didn't know the fellow that invented scotty's is the person who designed the pro troll after leaving scotty... One thing I can say is"yes"putting in the time does help but after alot of research I feel a black box was the way to go. Must say that the black box has helped me find alot of my power leaks further more its no secret that the more things you do right the better the chances to land the big one..

Hey fins i think maybe you should be sick next week and come drift with me and the wolf and you guys can discuss black boxes all day,hell the only black box i knew was back in high school!

I might get banned for saying this but what the hell-HSUS DONE IT ALREADY!

Hey Wolf
Excellent point. In my experience I have always moved to Sheringham on the Ebb and Otter on the flood as with many other people do the same thing. You are very right about Otter though. I can remmeber fishing in one of the derbies about 5 years back when Otter didn't light up until around 1 oclock in the afternoon. Same with Renfrew, many times the bite is not until 11-12 oclock.
I think we may have met before Wolf, I know that we have a few mutual acquaintances. Take Care
TT

Hey Wolf
Excellent point. In my experience I have always moved to Sheringham on the Ebb and Otter on the flood as with many other people do the same thing. You are very right about Otter though. I can remmeber fishing in one of the derbies about 5 years back when Otter didn't light up until around 1 oclock in the afternoon. Same with Renfrew, many times the bite is not until 11-12 oclock.
I think we may have met before Wolf, I know that we have a few mutual acquaintances. Take Care
TT

hey fish-n-fins secratary is a little gem but it is tricky to fish there is 6 reefs that you can hit in a little area e-mail me at home and ill tell how and when to fish it LOL or better yet ill show you in the summer chat to you later wolf

hey fish-n-fins secratary is a little gem but it is tricky to fish there is 6 reefs that you can hit in a little area e-mail me at home and ill tell how and when to fish it LOL or better yet ill show you in the summer chat to you later wolf

Back