BLACK BOX

quote:...I believe that the average fishermen will buy anything if they think it will improve their fishing chances, and if after using the product, they catch a fish, they will automatically assume that it was the product, and the product only, that caught them that fish. Remember Dumbo's feather?...

aYup. IMHO, black boxes can make a difference, dependant upon the configuration/construction of your boat. Nearly all Area G Trollers (WCVI) have and use them and have for years. Since successful fishing defines their livelihood, that says a lot to me. I've seen the results when one boat is "leaking" and/or not using the BB alongside one that is, the one that is properly grounded and dialed in for spp of fish always wins.

That being said, I personally don't use one. I run a 16 foot whaler, w/ a zinced out 50 Mariner. My downriggers are the old bicycle antique types (intentionally, I do have Scotty's but like the older look and function of the antiques). I've found you can easily adjust your perceived voltage rate simply by lengthening/shortening a non-conductive tether between your cannonball and the clip on the wire. And my little rig certainly doesn't seem to have much problem putting fish to the net.

Cheers,
Nog

quote:...I believe that the average fishermen will buy anything if they think it will improve their fishing chances, and if after using the product, they catch a fish, they will automatically assume that it was the product, and the product only, that caught them that fish. Remember Dumbo's feather?...

aYup. IMHO, black boxes can make a difference, dependant upon the configuration/construction of your boat. Nearly all Area G Trollers (WCVI) have and use them and have for years. Since successful fishing defines their livelihood, that says a lot to me. I've seen the results when one boat is "leaking" and/or not using the BB alongside one that is, the one that is properly grounded and dialed in for spp of fish always wins.

That being said, I personally don't use one. I run a 16 foot whaler, w/ a zinced out 50 Mariner. My downriggers are the old bicycle antique types (intentionally, I do have Scotty's but like the older look and function of the antiques). I've found you can easily adjust your perceived voltage rate simply by lengthening/shortening a non-conductive tether between your cannonball and the clip on the wire. And my little rig certainly doesn't seem to have much problem putting fish to the net.

Cheers,
Nog

Well now you are on a whole different subject there noggin a commercial boat is totally different than a sport fishing boat a commercial boat has enough wire and cannon balls out fishing to sink one of our sport boats another thing is have you ever seen the wiring on one of those boats it is pretty scary on SOME of them, a rough estimate would be that they have probably 5 to 10 times more electrical components on there boat compared to a sport boat. like what you have said what is on your boat what you are fishing in a fairly basic setup with not a lot of eguipment so of course you wont be creating electrical "problems" you even said you like the "aniques" but ya know using electric down riggers are pretty awesome and they make my job a whole lot easier thats for sure when i have to guide up at the lodge i work at they only give us one elec. and a old cranker i hate it so i usually bring my own elec. just because once you use elec. you never want to go back.

Well now you are on a whole different subject there noggin a commercial boat is totally different than a sport fishing boat a commercial boat has enough wire and cannon balls out fishing to sink one of our sport boats another thing is have you ever seen the wiring on one of those boats it is pretty scary on SOME of them, a rough estimate would be that they have probably 5 to 10 times more electrical components on there boat compared to a sport boat. like what you have said what is on your boat what you are fishing in a fairly basic setup with not a lot of eguipment so of course you wont be creating electrical "problems" you even said you like the "aniques" but ya know using electric down riggers are pretty awesome and they make my job a whole lot easier thats for sure when i have to guide up at the lodge i work at they only give us one elec. and a old cranker i hate it so i usually bring my own elec. just because once you use elec. you never want to go back.

Back