Best fillet knife ?

Dragginbait

What do you guys think is the best fillet knife, other than custom ones. A knife that will hold a good edge and holds up well to salt water abuse. I've got several but would buy another one if it's better than the rest.

Lippripper advised me a while back that "Dexter knives" were good.
I bought one and would definitely recommend them.

I would recommend dropping by http://www.trotacmarine.com/,it has been the pride of the fishing fleet for years.Paul,Trevor & Mike are very helpfull, when it comes to finding the best products for their clients needs.

I was in the store the other day,to get some help spooling up some new line on my reels.While in the service area,I looked for one of my favorite work - horses, a small knife, I wouldn't be caught without..well at least until my wife, found it also worked wonders,in the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
As RS said I would recommend the Dexter Russel knives. They are what they are , not very expensive, they hold an edge if you take some care of it.

I would say they would last 1-200,000 lbs per knife depending.

What do you want out of a knife DB. I may be able to recommend a style

I would just like a decent fillet knife, doesn't have to be too long, I don't mind spending the time sharpening them as I actually like doing that. I have hunting knives that are very sharp that I spend the time on, store bought and custom and want a simple knife to do clean fillet's with.
If you have different styles to look at, I'm never one to shy away from owning more than one or more knives. They're like gun's or fishing rods, you can never own just one.

I was just reading some reviews on the Dexter Russell knives and they said they are on par with Henkels, so I think I'm gonna have a look at them tomorrow. Thanks guys. If you have any more suggestions I'm open to having a look.

I got 2 bubba blades given to me the 9" fillet and 9" stiffie, they look pretty knarley but I have yet to try them
lotsa rave reviews online and youtube, time will tell I guess

I would recommend the 8 inch narrow DR. They were way under 30 bucks wholesale. You would probably be better checking a knife shop but bet they would retail around 40.

Look like this..

dexter-russell-narrow-fillet-tp_4363385360054309719b.jpg

The ones with the black handle have a more comfy grip

Kershaw....

X2. I have a Kershaw that I bought in the early 90's and even though I have over half a dozen filleting knives, it's still my favourite. Holds an edge very well. Love the "feel" of the handle. It is also an awesome boning knife when I'm butchering an elk or moose.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

Another Dexter Russel fan here. I have a variety of the white handled ones. I use them for fishing and butchering game. Great knives that don't break the bank.

I use a Kershaw with the 9.25" blade. Love that knife, flexible and cuts a real nice filet. Long enough for the bigger fish too. It does get a touch of surface rust in spots...but all and all a great knife for parting a slab! (thinner blade too, great for that belly cut!)

For gutting and cleaning, nothing beats the chepo bright orange handle with the spoon at the end...Stevensons has them the cheapest I've seen at about $4 each.

What are you fileting salmon or halibut??? as thats 2 different knives??

I have a picshow of how I do it for salmon with a 14 inch russel knive I can filet a big spring in about less than a min.but im not sure on how to multiple pics on here???Lippy you may ned to come over for a beer and show me LOL LOL
wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my Cutco knife. Stays razor sharp. Can extend it to 9" for filleting. And best thing? Send it back for a free sharpening at the end of the season for a commercial edge. All you pay is postage. I have not found a better deal anywhere.

What are you fileting salmon or halibut??? as thats 2 different knives??

I have a picshow of how I do it for salmon with a 14 inch russel knive I can filet a big spring in about less than a min.but im not sure on how to multiple pics on here???Lippy you may ned to come over for a beer and show me LOL LOL
wolf

I'd like to see those pics wolf. Lippy get over there for that beer:)!

Back