BC Ferries to ban passengers from closed car decks during sailings

No need for cattle prods. While it may not be the "master plan", They'll make the new Regs and people being the sheep they are will just eat/spend out of boredom. Don't believe it? Once it happens I'd lay money on it that cafeteria and gift shop sales spike.

Last edited:
It is called Indirect guidance, and I read yesterday that there is going to be a steward positioned in each washroom, to ensure the safety of passengers, by making sure that facility users wash anf dry their hands before re-entering the general population on board.

Can you share where you read this? :confused:

I just wish they would stop people from loading down the seats with enough gear to make an assault on Everest, and then drift into the cafeteria for the entire trip. Or, stop the people who take up tables in the cafeteria to play cards, or jump the line to reserve a table while one confused member of their group is forced into waiting in line to give their group order. Meanwhile those who have already been served circle the full tables with their trays, all the while the reservers try not to make eye contact lol! Good thing no one uses the cafeteria.

Haha sounds nightmarish. I haven't eaten on the ferry in probably 20 years. We always make a trip up to the top deck for some pics but then back down to the truck for a quick nap in the camper before we get to whatever side we're headed to. Be too bad if that ends.

The wifi is a killer or lack thereof. I can get it cruising at 700 miles an hour at 40000 feet but 1 mile offshore within sight of land sorry it's a no go. Hard as hell 0 pitch seats and not even an arcade anymore. Surprising more people don't pitch themselves off. Once a year at best now I'll be flying instead easy decision. I

I'm still calling BS on the cafeteria/gift shop conspiracy theory. The media release says only the lower deck will have the ban. On the large route vessels, the mid and upper decks have all the passenger vehicles, which in turn accounts for most of the people on board. Big rigs, RVs and boat combos take up lots of space but don't have many people in them. So the majority of the passengers aboard will still be free to stay with their vehicles if they wish.

Ya, I don't buy the sales excuse and it is only the bottom deck which is likely about 5 t0 10 % of the people on the ferry. This will make it easy to enforce and hard to dispute. I'm just going to be a ghost and vanish into my camper and ...zzz...zzz...

I like the idea of the waiver but such and idea will not fly with TC as it does not with seatbelt laws. Its not uncommon for the powers that be slip regulations into play quietly and then let them slide for a bunch of years and then use that time as an excuse when the reality is nobody knew about it.

If some one dies in the lower deck whats the corporation going to be sued for? Couldnt be much more than one years salary for the CEO.

Not a conspiracy theory at all. Just what I think. Might take a while for the numbers to come out. But if you want to put your money where your mouth is I'm game. Say $20? I'm good for it no matter how long it takes.

I'm still calling BS on the cafeteria/gift shop conspiracy theory. The media release says only the lower deck will have the ban. On the large route vessels, the mid and upper decks have all the passenger vehicles, which in turn accounts for most of the people on board. Big rigs, RVs and boat combos take up lots of space but don't have many people in them. So the majority of the passengers aboard will still be free to stay with their vehicles if they wish.

'Conspiracy theory' was just an attempt at humour on my part. I guess in theory you could track some numbers but how to get access to them and how to be sure any change is a direct result of the below decks access restriction. Correlation ain't causation.

Yep. I gotcha. I know It might take some time for the numbers to come out. If ever. And pretty hard to correlate those numbers to anything specific. But, I'm basing my guess on the fact bored people tend to stuff their faces. Hell I do it myself when I'm sitting around watching a movie. Based on that alone, if people were forced out of their cars into the ferry "proper" I think you'd have more people spending money in the cafeteria.

Earlier I said I haven't eaten on the ferry in 20 years. My wife corrected me and says we had ice cream from the cafeteria about 5 years ago.

I would opine that, for the most part, it's the casual tourist users who are going to spend their time and money in the gift shop. They're not the ones likely to spend their sailing time on the car deck anyway. Further, I suggest that people who use the cafeteria do so because they're hungry and while no one would mistake the fare for something out of a Michelin star rated restaurant, it can be convenient for travellers. You're stuck on the thing for a couple of hours, why not grab a bite and save time at the other end?

I think we can confidently assume that the likes of KV1, Clint, a bunch of truck drivers, along with a whole bunch of other regular ferry users, aren't going to be suddenly feel coerced into going either to the cafeteria or the gift shop because they have to vacate their vehicles should they be assigned to the lower car deck.

What I find truly astounding is that this thread has reached it's third page!! It's going to be a long off-season....

What I find truly astounding is that this thread has reached it's third page!! It's going to be a long off-season....[/QUOTE]

I would agree....Suck it up Buttercup!
Live with it

Id rather occupy a corner on one of the upper car decks than chum with the general public. My dislike for being in the company of tones of strangers is one of the reasons i like fishing so much.
Maybe I can rent someones car for a nap. "excuse me, mind if I grab a nap in your car?"

What I find truly astounding is that this thread has reached it's third page!! It's going to be a long off-season....

Yes, such a petty topic and Canadians usually just quietly suck it up don't they.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the deaths on the Queen of the North?

The wifi is a killer or lack thereof. I can get it cruising at 700 miles an hour at 40000 feet but 1 mile offshore within sight of land sorry it's a no go. Hard as hell 0 pitch seats and not even an arcade anymore. Surprising more people don't pitch themselves off. Once a year at best now I'll be flying instead easy decision. I

I can understand (to a certain extent) some of the frustration this may cause for the "lower deckers" that need/want to rest due to long travel, etc.

What I am not sure about is the perpetual negativity and harm this seems to cause you KV? Why not grab magazine and coffee and roam the decks for a short cruise in one of the most beautiful places on earth?

If a lack of wifi or having to vacate the lower deck makes you think you and others will pitch themselves over off the side in suicide - I feel for you...

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the deaths on the Queen of the North?
It is likely due to the product of international statistics/studies however if you watch the video posted on page 2 of this thread you will see the majority of damage is to the upper car deck and passenger areas. If think it is likely that the fatalities were on the upper car deck.

7033112.jpg

Back