BC Ferries to ban passengers from closed car decks during sailings

I think a stupid rule, only an inconvenience on Vic to Van return. Blaming the safety rules. When going from Prince Rupert to QCI a huge pain, same as you Birdsnest, nice cozy camper but they clear decks and passengers rent cabins or sleep on floor in lounge. Remember first time thinking, why is every one running up stairs with blankets, pillows and sleeping bags. They wanted the best sleeping places. Slow me slept in a chair. No reason to implement in my mind, but maybe BC Ferries want to mother the public better, hey how about an outrageous fee to stay in your vehicle???

HM

Sometimes I think there are bureaucrats out there who wake up in the morning and say to themselves: "What can I do today to make lives more miserable for the people who pay our wages?"
I think you give them far too much intelligence and awareness, BB. I think they wake-up in the morning - look in the mirror - and go: "Who is that good-looking, intelligent, and godly mortal". I don't think they even know that there are customers/taxpayers - unless they work at answering the phones at the complaints line.

I was in a discussion about this tonight with a couple of friends who brought it up. One of them said that the new ferries don't have any openings on the lower car deck like the old Queens did. Now in the event of a collision the doors leading up the stairwells won't open to make the lower decks watertight. So if you are down there when something bad happens you can't get out. If he right I won't be snoozing on the car deck anymore regardless.

Seems to me they did this before for a couple of decades after the Sergi Yesenin (SP), sliced through a ferry in Active Pass?

Unfortunately it seems to make sense. If its a closed deck and an emergency happens the people staying on that deck could be injured or killed. If that were to happen then the blame would be on the government/ferries corporation for allowing it to happen when it was easily preventable. They have to look at the number of vessels, and number of crossings made and assume eventually some sort of accident will occur. On any given sailing the chances are very low, but on the aggregate something will happen eventually. The complaints above all start with "me" and "I" as if all rules should cater just to what that individual wants on the specific occasion that they travel.

Just because you've been getting away with it for years doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Well hopefully there will be a pet (dog) walking area that will be above any enclosed car deck. There is on the ferries that are here now, but I don't know about the new ones. Or maybe BC ferries will have s dog walking service:rolleyes:

Okay - I take it back. According to a report on CBC this morning, the new policy will only affect the closed (e.g. lower) decks on ferries. The open upper car decks will still be accessible during sailings. On all of the boats I've been on, the dog areas are on the upper open deck.

Let us all rejoice in uncomfortable seating, non existent wifi, revolving ctv news on one tv and crappy food at ridiculous prices. Glad I rarely use this so called extension of highways.

It certainly does open the doors for some creative protest which would ultimately lead to "you sir, would you please go back to your vehicle".

Never understood how people could complain about the food on the ferries and yet consistently form a line up to be fed during the 1 HR 40 Min crossing, surely most people could wait less than two hours between meals in most cases? Seems to me the cafeteria and gift shop should be money losers as opposed to money makers if they were as crappy as local legend would have you believe. Lol

When does all this bs stop. Seems like everything in this world is done under the cloud of "safety" it's getting bad. Next thing you know we won't leave the house without wearing helmets and body armour

Your exactly right. Since every kid became "special" and we started handing out ribbons so nobody feels left out our society has gone down hill. I know some peeps will disagree but society has gone for a crap since "spanking" (or any punishment) has been taboo.

Yea it all started 50 years ago with a guy named Ralph Nader demanding that we put seat belts in cars. After years in court the nanny state was pushed to make it a law that the car companies put them in cars. Then, years later, they ruled we had to wear them. The nerve of those guys.... I should have the right to fly through the front windshield in a 20 mph oops while texting the wife I'm on my way home for supper.
Sarc/off
Funny thing I know a guy that still insist that he does not wear seatbelts on short trips. Just as a matter of principle. Old dogs never learn new tricks and proudly claim their smart.

Let us all rejoice in uncomfortable seating, non existent wifi, revolving ctv news on one tv and crappy food at ridiculous prices. Glad I rarely use this so called extension of highways.
Glass half full/empty scenario as usual. The food prices could be a lot worse considering they have a monopoly. And they use their own union employees instead of concessioning it off to a contractor who would charge the same and take their profit by using minimum wage staff with no benefits. I often elect to eat on the ferry since it doesn't take me off the highway on the long trip back to the interior.

Yep nanny state is accurate. Left behind in manufacturing and business in general. There is safe and then there is ridiculous. Having people stand when the ship is docking is unsafe, having people walking around in rough weather is unsafe. What's the difference? BC ferries still sinks ships and crashes into things like massive coal ships and rocks no matter how "safe" they are. Stupid is stupid you can't safety it out of people. That's why the dumb used to die.

Back