BC Ferries considering axing the Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay route

Add to all this that the inland ferries are free - for a comparable ship, trip length, etc as going to Thetis island inland you pay nothing. Especially frustrating when there is a road option instead of ferry. Make the small routes free like the inland (save on staff costs for tickets, etc too).

Galiano, Mayne, North Pender and Saturna could all be linked by bridges to form a 'super island' with a single ferry connection to mainland and VI. They can keep the island concept that they love so much (but whine about ferries, go figure) but eliminate a string of small terminals and ferries. A larger consolidated service could provide better service for residents and visitors alike and would likely have the ridership to be sustainable and maybe even contribute revenue to help support small volume routes elsewhere on the coast.

The Island is NDP country thus people pay. The right wingers in the interior get the free ferry handout. And here I thought it was the lefties that were known for handouts.

The Island is NDP country thus people pay. The right wingers in the interior get the free ferry handout. And here I thought it was the lefties that were known for handouts.

Hmm, but the ferries in the interior were still free when the NDP was in power and the coastal ones still weren't, so not sure that theory stands up?

Huh? I don't feel too sorry for people who can afford boats, motor homes etc. when they complain about getting dinged extra fares for taking up space on publicly subsidized and often busy ferries. Same kind of people I guess that ***** about paying $10 to launch 100 g boat.

Oh my god. You cant be serious.

yeah, my sentiments also... think your out to lunch on that one eroyd... everyone to there own opinion I suppose but i'd like to see it fair for everyone. regardless weather they own a boat, motorhome, etc... maybe those people with million dollar homes with oceanfront lots should pay more also?... lol i don't think so... love it when people get jealous of other peoples circumstance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it West Van has been on the record for years as being against the HB terminal they want it gone.

Horseshoe Bay terminal was put there many years ago by BlackBall ferrys as they were competition to CN /CP out of vancouver harbour.
it was put there because it was a natural harbour and before man was making artificial harbours.
Since then , westvan , northvan , sunshine coast and Whistler have grown to huge populations , and all over two old antique bridges.
AND BC ferries keeps building BIGGER ferry,s that cause Total gridlock on our Northshore hiways, .....The Terminal should have been moved 30 yrs ago to where it should be and that is at the YVR AIRPORT.... all vancouver lower mainland roads leading there and skytrain , build a long jetty out to parking and AND its sooooo much closer to Nanaimo so less time and less fuel.
YVR is the most logical spot for the new terminal.
keep HB for Bowen and Langdale and a few sailings to island.

While I agree with the advertising part of the rant, the gift shop and food services elements only exist on the major runs and actually make money for the Corporation - which is a good thing as the profit from these elements will help keep fares down.

this will never get better IMH...the real problem is wages & excessive overpaid middle management well beyond the actual needs of the service. They will never cut that dead weight. Pretty sad when it feels like its even too expensive to walk on!

yup agree with u both..if its making money keep it... middle management in a corp. is always a problem..look at the medical system dare I say the sad wastage there...its a horror story sweep under the mat....

I think I would look higher myself than work my way down. Restructuring should get people's attention.

I would restructure the upper management team, and put people in there with targets/metrics they have to hit. Those salaries are even way above some high tech businesses I used to work with in high tech telecom. Its Ok if you perform but clearly it is not the case here.

Close down expensive offices in Victoria and elsewhere, and consolidate them to terminals. Management seems to like being away from ferry operations. Big mistake. Look at Clipper I used to work for there offices were right at Pier69 next to where passengers got off. CEO is right there.

The properties can easily house office spaces..How much does that building cost in Vic per month? Think of the IT costs.... Way better communication being right there. Here is that link again to management comparison.

http://www.vancouversun.com/busines...recessionary+drag+province/9520800/story.html

The Washington State Ferry system is part of their Department of Transportation with only about 50% of their revenues coming from the fare box (meaning the Sate is picking the tab for the balance). For the most part, the WSF ships are old - most well past their "sell by" date. The system is in for some serious capital expenditures over the next few years if they are to stay afloat. Contrast that with BC Ferries where over 80% of the system's revenues come from the fare box. BCF vessels are, for the most part, fairly new and there is what appears to be a well planned schedule for refit/replacement of older vessels.
Trying to comparing the two systems is a bit of an apples and oranges thing.

I have to agree with your posts there Spring Velocity. The current governance model at BCF is out of control, and needs trimming. The Liberals never quite saw that coming did they? A real lack of understanding the market risks of blending a former Crown Corporation with a totally private model. Destined for epic failure.

The Advantage of a Crown Corp model in this instance is 20% of the operating capital comes from the public, and yet giving up public control or rather management governance is placing the public interest at risk IMO. The reason this simply is destined to fail is there is no true free market competition to create the external competitive pressures necessary to drive efficient thinking...why would they, in a subsidized world.

Instead, this model drives other corporate behaviors the worst of which is BCF has lost sight of it's customer base - they killed the cash cow that supported its existence by investing in infrastructure their customers did not value. They have become a bloated inefficient organization wasting resources chasing the wrong vision...rudderless titanic heading on a collision course with massive cost overages due to their aimless pursuit of the wrong operating priorities.

If this is allowed to continue you can expect only one thing....to pay more!

BCF is trying to be something it simply is not. They are not a travel agency - leave that to private enterprise. They are not a fancy cruise ship line, with swank passenger terminals...we just need basic services. We don't need redundant terminals - only one in Nanaimo is necessary - save some operating expense and run only one.

BCF should be an extension of our highways system, operating very simply and driving traffic to its service through low cost operations and fares.

Lots of arm chair quarterbacks out there who think they know how to manage the ferries, and offer opinions as to how to do things better, but when the rubber hits the road and difficult decisions need to be made, those same people who offer their opinions, and who are not in a position to even comment, run for the hills.

"....they killed the cash cow that supported its existence by investing in infrastructure their customers did not value."

Interesting comment - please help me understand what some of this non-valued infrastructure is.

"They are not a fancy cruise ship line, with swank passenger terminals..."

I have to believe you've either never travelled the Comox - Powell River run, ridden on the Queens of Alberni, Oak Bay or Cowichan or you've never been on a fancy cruise ship. I'd sure be interested in where the swank passenger terminals are.

I'd suggest people review the BC Ferries annual report to really understand where the Corporation's money comes from and more importantly where it is being spent.

www.bcferries.com/investors/AR.html

While I agree that there are no doubt a hell of a lot wrong with the way the Ferry transportation system in BC is run, both in terms of the Ferry operations themselves as well as in terms of the political policies involved, I don't agree that comparing the current system with cruise ships, hyperbolic comments regarding "swanky" terminals, apples and oranges comparisons with the Washington State system and suggesting elimination of the food services and gift shop operations - (which make money) are particularly helpful.

As a final comment, Searun, your view on the Nanaimo terminal(s) may well be valid (and I would throw HS Bay into that bucket as well), however we will never know as our esteemed Transportation Minister has squashed any attempt to study the economic impact of making alterations to the mainland-mid island routes.
This is an issue that I did raise with letters to both Mr Stone as well as my local MLA.

Lots of arm chair quarterbacks out there who think they know how to manage the ferries, and offer opinions as to how to do things better, but when the rubber hits the road and difficult decisions need to be made, those same people who offer their opinions, and who are not in a position to even comment, run for the hills.

OMG :rolleyes:

Back