BC Ferries considering axing the Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay route

A long time ago a ferry terminal was planned for UBC, thus the 4 lane freeway type roads onto the peninsula from SW Marina and 4th Ave, and the original 4 lanes entering from 16th which now taper for a bit to 2 lanes.

Considering I live on Campus, I wonder if I'd be pleased with the short commute to the Ferry or P.O.'d about the traffic to/from should it have happened?

It's tough to watch the management at BC Ferries twisting and turning trying to make their operation profitable when it's an impossible task. Underlying all of this is the fact that the province refuses to fund ferries with the same model they fund highways, despite both being equally important parts of the provincial transport network. I can't see us ever getting to free coastal ferries, but it's equally unreasonable to expect that the coastal ferries can fund themselves through fares alone given BC's geography and our population base. Too many tiny communities spread too far apart. Private enterprise would already be in place if there was money to be made, and it's telling that the couple of examples of private operation that are working service direct city centre to city centre (ie, Seattle-Victoria Clipper, harbour-to-harbour floatplanes) - that doesn't bode well for BCF's idea to switch Departure Bay-Horseshoe Bay to less centralised Duke Pt-Tsawassen. People clearly want convenience, hence the immediate resistance to this new proposed change. Seems to me this is counter to the strategy that maximises revenue from the 'gravy runs' to the southern VI population centres in order to support the money-losing runs elsewhere. Surely they should be upping service and volumes on the busy runs, cutting Departure-Horseshoe isn't the way to do that. But what do you expect when the govt forces bureaucrats to try to be business people? "OK, Jack, here's what we'll do - increase prices, reduce service, and trade our way out of trouble. Easy!" Look how well that's working at Canada Post....

Bridge the Gulf Islands and have one major streamlined ferry route crossing Georgia Strait from Galiano. Bridging from North Saanich would also solve the Malahat hwy issues.

Anything about BC ferries does not make sense. We as tax payers subsidize the system while the CEO\company continually raise rates. The closure will just give you less options in the end for the users. Just wait until there is an emergency at the one and only terminal and then watch the chaos. BTW, in September it cost $80 to drive a full size Dodge truck (21') to the island and $220 to return with a boat in tow (44'). This is discriminatory against RV's and needs to be addressed. With today's engineering marvels you think a bridge would be possible and financially viable. I refuse to even leave my vehicle because the system is such a joke.

Bridge the Gulf Islands and have one major streamlined ferry route crossing Georgia Strait from Galiano. Bridging from North Saanich would also solve the Malahat hwy issues.

now that is a Horrible idea! Unless you want every gold island and island location completely ruined forever.

...screw the ferries,pretty soon its ferry fares will be in-line with flying...a bridge,god help us there are enough bad drivers here already...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Two thoughts. This has come up now since LNG and Kinder Morgan is going so poorly that the gov't needs us to focus our attention elsewhere.

Raise the most unpalatable option first and then modify. Threaten to take off both legs so you are happy when they only take off your arm. :p

Duke Pt to Tsawassen only is a joke. We'll fly out of Campbell River before I'll drive from Tsawassen to the N Shore. If they think ridership (revenue) is down now they are in for quite the surprise if this goes through. I'd prefer to stay on the Island, anyway.

Raise the most unpalatable option first and then modify. Threaten to take off both legs so you are happy when they only take off your arm.

That is so true on so many levels in so many situations today by the government. BCF is not run as a business it is run as a gravy train for employees and management to boot. Why a CEO of any company that loses money constantly and fails to provide a service that is essential to economies in BC still gets a fat paycheck plus bonuses is insulting to the intelligence of the taxpayer. A guy making 25 bucks an hour serving a crappy breakfast or waving a glow stick to board the ferry is also ludicrous. They cant even figure out how to schedule ferries so they run to capacity even though they have been at it for years what a joke. BC ferries would be shut down in a heartbeat if brought into comparison with systems worldwide. This last idea in DB to put up signs to "communicate" better to people at a huge expense was another blunder. Why is it that you cant even get a wifi signal on a ferry most of the time? It is a perfect example of a company not willing to change for the times and incompetent. Fast ferries was the last blunder, next will be the LNG ships. The passenger ferry from Nanaimo will now get some steam but they want our money too. The few times a year I leave now get fewer and fewer and this will just justify that.

BC%2BFerries%2B2.PNG

No thats the sad part, 3 year compensation packages totaling 12.5 million dollars.
No wonder they can't stay afloat.

Yeah but their response is "we need capable people to run things and pay them accordingly". Laughable bafoons. The ex government folks love to move to the cushy BCF job when retired from the previous raping and pilaging.

From what I understand, the horseshoe bay terminal needs another upgrade and there's no money to due it. The problem BC ferries has its the only route that makes money (horseshoe- departure). So there in a bind. They where looking at moving to save all the costs to replace the docks. This won't happen so ...... Taxpayers will have to reach in and pull more $$ otta there pockets.

When BC hydro lineman dept. Failed to show profit they closed down and privatized it. Is this the one that finally closes down BC ferries and they sell off to privatization. So that they can held accountable for there spending?

This issue shouldn't get sidetracked with a discussion on Executive Compensation at BC Ferries. The total operating expense for BCF for 2014 was $714 million. The total labour cost component of that amount (including executive compensation) was $269 million. Frankly, the approximately $4 million in EC is mice nuts in comparison to both the total labour cost and the total operating cost of the organization.
My view is that if they can demonstrate they can satisfy the service demands with sufficient sailings between one terminal on the mainland and one terminal mid island at a lower cost - both capital and operating cost - than with two terminals on each side then that's what should happen. As a taxpayer and a regular user of the system, I'm all for keeping the cost of running the thing down.
And for those who are whining about getting from Tsawwassen to downtown Vancouver - it's 11kms difference - not that big of a deal IMHO.

And for those who are whining about getting from Tsawwassen to downtown Vancouver - it's 11kms difference - not that big of a deal IMHO.

Drive that route during peak times and heavy traffic when there is a stall or accident, you might think its a big deal when that drive can take well over 1 hour

Drive that route during peak times and heavy traffic when there is a stall or accident, you might think its a big deal when that drive can take well over 1 hour
While it appears that it doesn't matter now, but have you tried to get over the Lions Gate Bridge during the evening rush hour or when there's been an accident?

I took the daylight donkey run from Tsawwassen to Long Harbour last week it was pathetic to see that huge old ship-I think it was the Queen of New Westminster-letting off & taking on less than a dozen cars @ each island, Galiano, Mayne & Pender although Saltspring didn't have much traffic either.

The ship's deck plates are buckling and it's painfully apparent that it's near the end of it's service life in this country.

Money, money, money BC Ferries always needs more money I think they need a smaller more agile fleet that can better respond to conditions paying through the nose to give a few dozen people a ride just isn't economically sustainable.

Back