BC Ferries considering axing the Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay route

Care to elaborate?

No your post is amusing that is all. How I read your post if someone comments on the management there not qualified and have no business saying anything.

Then you say that if we do say anything we won't do anything about it? Give me an example of this where the public did nothing. The NDP screwed fast cat up didn't they are they still on government? Seems to me they were voted out.

Last edited by a moderator:
0a6e21148425f5a7cb2b8b1640756a3b.jpg

I found the link on the FB page on the wages. BC ferries disclosed them a while ago..

https://www.bcferries.com/bcferries/faces/attachments?id=832517

Read this line on that letter:

" Also on April 1, 2014, the bonus plan for all other managers will be discontinued. A hold back plan for this group is not feasible or consistent with the government’s policy. In lieu,salaries will be adjusted based on historical four year bonus plan payments. "

If you notice see how they all jumped this year. If these wages are just some examples I am afraid to see the rest. Look at those numbers. Look at CFO!

I found the link on the FB page on the wages. BC ferries disclosed them a while ago..

https://www.bcferries.com/bcferries/faces/attachments?id=832517

Read this line on that letter:

" Also on April 1, 2014, the bonus plan for all other managers will be discontinued. A hold back plan for this group is not feasible or consistent with the government’s policy. In lieu,salaries will be adjusted based on historical four year bonus plan payments. "

If you notice see how they all jumped this year. If these wages are just some examples I am afraid to see the rest. Look at those numbers. Look at CFO!

I hear ya big time. This bonus within government sectors is a total sham. I heard about the unemployment office employee's getting a bonus..........this blew my mind big time (what could they do within their job to get a bonus?). This wastage has to stop.

I grew up with grandparents in the public sector. They made less than most people in management positions. It seems like it is the opposite today!!!.

Again. Government creating job's. Well I say tell the government to stop creating jobs (more like filling in political favours) and do it's own damn job. The big and small companies of this great Province of ours can create jobs just fine.

Ya, well I expected that. Anyone who rides the ferries can plainly see the $ invested in upgrading the ferries. New seats, floors, services - millions invested to upgrade existing vessels. Terminals - well again, its not too hard to see the millions invested in making upgrades and turning them into glorified starbucks outlets. Again all paid for by the public in fares charged. All those investments in infrastructure that really not what the paying passenger would want if given the choice between what BCF management believes "customer experience" looks like and what the public desires to pay for it. To be clear, the paying public really never asked for all these frills, they just want the cheapest and safest ferry service.

How about those ads promoting package vacation deals? Who says that is the mandate of BCF. My point is they have forgotten about the true mandate, and because this is a subsidized business model, where is the incentive to compete, to be efficient? At least as a Crown Corporation that was publicly owned and directed the riders had true governance over the direction. This current model is driving different management behaviours.

How about those super c class ferries with the 5th level completely closed down? Not the best fit purchase - again, overbuilt by Management direction to pursue the wrong course of action to replace aging vessels. What we really needed were vessels designed for servicing the basic needs.

My quarrel is with the Management direction, not the people working in the system.

So what are you saying, Searun - that the public doesn't value having a clean, comfortable passenger environment as opposed to 30 year old cracked vinyl seats and threadbare coffee stained carpets? The cost of the "glorified Starbucks outlets" is easily recovered by the lease rates charged those outlets to operate there - not the fare paying passengers. Besides, any time I've been in one of the few terminal lounges that have these facilities, they are jammed and busy - which suggests to me they are valued.

I'm undecided about the travel promotion idea. The travel vacation packages would seem to me to be a compliment to the Ferry's business. Working with hotels and resorts both on the mainland to create package deals that include a ferry ride would seem to me, at least, a good thing as they increase ferry ridership.
According to the annual report, this program is driving revenues which is a good thing as long as they are recovering their costs in doing so. The Annual Report only identifies the revenue side of the equation.

In terms of the corporate structure, I'm not sure the public influence over the operations of the Corp is a whole lot different than if it were a Crown Corporation. The Service Contract between the Government and BCF is pretty specific as is the oversight provided by the Ferry Commissioner. The recent Government interference in the Corp's recent attempts to study the economics associated with the mid Island routes/terminals is a pretty good indication that our so-called public officials are exercising a pretty firm hand over the major decisions of the Corp - and we're the ones who elected those public officials.

I do agree that the management structure - particularly at the middle management level - appears to have mushroomed out of control. It may well be that Mr Corrigan and his team are going to have to look at rationalizing that structure given the Government has essentially told them they cannot do anything with the routes that represent 80% of their cost structure and that rates have pretty much maxed out. Gutting the middle management structure and increasing management spans of control can be an effective cost reduction tool.

Is it true that if you're an employee of BC ferries you get free ferry trips?

just because food services and vacation packages create "80 million in revenue" does not mean they create ANY PROFIT. They could very be profitable but this is a common tactic in business to discuss the revenue but skip over the actual profit figures.

Nope..... Not true

100% taxable benefit

Cheaper to pay cash if towing a trailer

Don't think so. Even if the "free ride" is a 100% taxable benefit thus reported as income and taxed at the top marginal rate, the net cost is still about 50% of the fare. If you're paying cash, you're paying the full load with cash that you've already paid taxes on. Not something I'd do if I had a choice.

Back