Bamfield spring/summer reports 2010 - halis & spri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Romans buddy the other john and a couple of bamfield boys.You will hit some fish for sure in mid sept. Seems the fish are late this year.

thanks for the post 2muchdraft, when you were running the plugs for coho how fast were you going?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Hey 2muchdraft!

A really good host would have a beer in that guest's curled hand in the top right of your pic LOL.

Nice take for a weekend, great to hear the boys had fun.

I have a reel for the cabin; it'll cost you another visit though

How did the new secret colour work out?

Smiley.

Nice whites 2 much draft...looks like s bank was good to you too.

Searun

th_067.jpg

You got it Smiley - thinking of an Oct date - will let you know. None of the new colors did anything this time.
Bacon - 2.4 to 2.8
Searun - if you are meaning the flesh was white, no whites in there and we stayed inside - Friday and Sat were so good we didn't bother spending the gas to go out to the banks. Would have like to though, my neighbour did and said it was great.

Came back from Barkley Sound Monday night. Fished Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning. Didn’t go to 25 Mile Bank this time. On Saturday, the fishing was just as good @ 7 mile off Amphitrite: 4 Springs (could have caught more if allowed)… biggest 26 lbs… and one 12 lb hatchery coho. We also caught and released a bunch of big wild coho… one of which was the biggest coho I have ever hooked… I think close to 20 lbs! That was the highlight of my day! Best lure was a 6” white/pink Tomic spoon, trolled without flasher at 50’ – 60’. All the fish had enormous herring in the guts! Some Humpback Whales were also out there scooping up the big herring!

Sunday was rough! Blowing 15-25 knots off Beale, Amphitrite and on 7 mile Bank. Funny enough, according to reports, it stayed relatively calm all day out on 25 Mile Bank! Those who braved the crazy seas, and punched through the first 10 miles of chop to reach La Perouse Bank, must have had a great day!! Anyone went out to La Perouse Bank on Sunday? Reports?

We were not that brave! Stayed in the sound and fished Effingham, Kirby and The Bamfield Wall. Had to work harder for our fish. Nothing @ Effingham… nothing @ Kirby… only a whole bunch of Mackerel that ate all our anchovies! Eventually, we netted 3 Springs late in the day during a high slack feeding frenzy at The Wall… biggest 22 pounds! Best lure was a 5” Golden Tomic spoon, trolled at 30’ without flasher.

Monday was beautiful and calm everywhere. Should have gone out to 25 Mile Bank but we figured we had limited time, and only one more Spring to reach our limit. We fished 7 Mile Bank off Cape Beale instead. It was slow! Tried a lot of different things but nothing seemed to be working. Eventually… around lunch time… we got a 16 lb Spring on a BIG 7” Silver/Black Tomic Plug, trolled @ 125’. Tried to target Coho after that but no results. So… I guess we had to be satisfied with our limit of Springs and headed for Port Alberni around 3 pm. Caught the last sailing for Horseshoe Bay. On the whole… great weekend!

Arvak II

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Right on 2muchdraft! When do we see you closer to home again?

Don't know if the Mia Anna will sail again.:( Just about had it with that Volvo 4 cyl and thinking about podding it or selling it off in parts (trailer/downriggers/hull etc). Been mooching rides on other peoples boats down here this summer.:D

Flash Report

Past weeekend

Inside , SLOW for this time of year , but better than last week , outta 50 - 75 boats'ish , daily , ( Poett ) , the average fish were 1- 3 fish from 6:00 am till noon or so , the odd boat with a mixed bag of coho thrown in as well , top rods 5-6 fish , consistently. And a handfull with 0 fish , Most fish on Anchovy's at 50 feet , 5 -7 ft leaders , we hit 2 fish quickly on Spoons on monday am before leaving

Offshore , well , recent reports were accurate , it was rediculous , Spaghetti n Meatballs woulda done the job , put down any of ur favorite gear , and i'm sure you would be inta da fish , Outter South (Rabbit)was key for us ,Friday night , all to ourselves , but Saturday , lotta boats , but , we all had a blast i'm sure .

We noticed allota whites , in our fleet total catch at the docks,
get out there before she's done , heard Starfish has slowed , i can't varify this , just word on the radio

Crabbing Prawning was Good Outside the Nook

Some snaps
later
FD..;)

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

right on nice post Fog Ducker, were you pulling a flasher with your spoons or just by them self?

Cheers,
Jeremy

thanks man:D are you going to be at the nook for the derby?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Has anyone been out at Hysen/Starfish or Turtlehead recently? Heard it was slowing down but that there were still fisho out there. Given the dearth of fish in the Inlet of late thought I might head out there on Thursday if there are still fish around.

A co-worker fished SW Corner and South Bank Sunday and then Monday morning. He said it was rough conditions and that it had slowed considerably. They caught some springs but most were small, close to 10lbs. Biggest was a 20lber.

Anyone know if there is salt ice still available in Bamfield? Heading up Monday for 5 days. Trying to keep the weight down for the haul up the inlet from Alberni.

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back