Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

Fished Barclay sound over the weekend and pretty much the same results as most posted here. Pretty slow action but a few bites came on. We missed our best chance at the wall on Sat morning around 8:00 AM. Brought a big spring all the way to the boat were I had a good look at it but buddy horsed it in and it thrashed it's way out of reach of the net and got off. Probably 25lbs or so maybe a bit larger. Looked very dark though, must have been heading up the inlet to spawn.

Lost another big smack on the rod which peeled out line then took off with a glow needle fish and leader in it's mouth. I need to check my buddies knots more often! lol

That was it for us as far as big springs go, managed a decent coho on saturday again off the wall. For sunday we fished out at flemming, kirby and the red can buoy. Nothing at all until 11:30 AM double header at the red can buoy; 1 spring 11lbs and one undersized.

We did our part for the mackeral problem and bonked 22 of the little buggers to be used for bait. Fed a few to the eagles at kirby too.

Still, fun weekend on the water with calm winds and some sun on Sunday. Sat night was a crazy lightning show.

Cheers

Fellas

definately the slowest ive seen since Feb lol , not even worth getting into ,
i always said i like July better , i think that is really stamped now ,fish were caught at all the local landmark areas inside , seemed ta be on all types of gear ,
had ta work very hard for the few fish we got , the guides are all doing fairly well off the big bank , we had our best day out there , not hot by any means , even out there , atleast on saturday... but worth the haul ....on average , most boats were getting one or 2 fish inside , limits outside , but with work..

hope this helps

my best areas were rats , flemming , diplock...( pill and assets went off pretty good for a few )

cheers

fd

Good on you for having a good day with Osoma Jeff.
Assuming he is the same guide Osama Bin Hopper (Jeff) my buddy used, you did will....Jeff took him outside and never got one decent size salmon.
That's fishin....

Fogged in I am not replying to slag you because I consider Jeff a friend. I just want to say, that all us sport fisherman rely on the guides who are in the trenches everyday for quality information. Jeff happens to be one who posts true information and is a stand up guy who usually will help you if ask. Quotes like the above make the guides not want to post on the site. All this does is make us sport fisherman have to work harder to find the fish when we go to the west coast. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

as promised a couple of pics

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 152
  • fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 135
Hey all you Jeff fans....just stating the facts....don't know what the fuss is all about!!
touchy touchy....

LOL!!

What a stain. Another brilliant contribution by the sites newest disease.

If they are there, I'll gettem clown.

I bet every day rains tyees in your boat...

QUOTE]
Hi Jeff
Why are you so touchy....So you couldn't get a decent fish for one party...big deal...like I said, that's fishin
As for as me, we fished Renfrew on the Beach for two days last week, and limited with 6 Srings both days between 15 and 30 pounds...No the Tyee don't jump in our boat or anyone elses....I didn't post my results as it was not news....anyone who is, was or went to Renfrew for the last few weeks knows there are fish on the Beach...if it was news, I would have posted like I have before...no need for me to brag
Was your comment meant to be an insult? " by the sites newest disease."

that post complimenting Jeff for a good job he did by Cloud, had ZERO to do with you ,

so why post somthing about it , especially somthing negative ??? he makes a living on fishing , what benefit is it it to you to post a negative comment about his past ? theres no guarantee in fishing ,anyone that has fished with Jeff usually comes back remembering how fun it was ta hang with him , and im gonna guess in most cases , thank him for the great fishing too...

if you dont understand this , give ur head a shake , you obviously dont get it ,,

im pretty sure we all know what Jeff meant by " Stain" ..

alot of guys have left this forum or stopped posting because of this crap...

sorry guys , getting friggen sick of it too,,,,

fd

that post complimenting Jeff for a good job he did by Cloud, had ZERO to do with you ,fd
There are lots of post back and forth that have "O" to do with the people making the response to the post.
Osama may be a great guy, but he is very touchy for sure. Is this about getting new business for Jeff or sharing info?
All I was saying is from what I have been told, Cloud's post (and it was a good one) was not indicative of the fishing in that particular off shore locaton THIS YEAR.
It certainly was HOT FISHING most of last year, and if someone was expecting to go back and have the fishing they had last year with Jeff or anyone else, they might be disappointed.
I meant my post to be a service to those people, not to slag Jeff!
Enough on this subject...Sorry if I offended Jeff or anybody else....Ididn't think my post would raise such a fuss!!

Heading up Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Staying at Haggards Cove. Looking forward to a great 3 days. Jeff and Kelly, will be in touch. Cheers.

It looks like other years when those mature biggies are traveling deeper.They are under the radar so to speak.Had many days when I switched to Winter style [deep]the only fish at the tables where ours.I remember one boat coming in with a s==t load of HOGS and I mean HOGS.I managed to swindel out..how deep were ya fishin??....nobodys gettin squat!!!!!DEEP she said!

fished yesterday sail rock, turtle head, sw corner, rats nose, big bank, shallow 45 deep 225 with choves, large spoons, small spoons plugs hootchies, were catching alot of small springs nothing big limited on small springs, none of the large we were looking for. amazing weather yesterday

Fished Sun, Mon and a few hours this a.m. Coho everywhere at 7 mile, Sunday was 75% hatch for us. Monday the hatch ho's were hard to find. Their were too many coho, they were hitting hoochies floating on the surface while I was dealing with the other rod. Only two non-migratory springs for us on the bank.

Inside we caught three migratory springs 17 to 23 pounds. They were taken between 40 and 50 feet. Caught them at Pill and the Wall. Monday definitely seemed better than Sunday, for what that is worth. Lost a couple of good ones too. All five hook ups inside were on a large Tomic green white spoon. The other side of the boat did nothing but mackerel. There is a MAJOR algae bloom inside.

8 Coho and five springs made for a nice trip. As long as you aren't expecting last year, you will be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Barkley yesterday ..boated 3 fish 14,17,21lber & nice coho...**** pile of macks as usual...anchovy's and rubber... :)

heading up this sunday, contemplating fishing in the inlet versus makin the trip to diploc/kirby/pill. Noticed some darker fish in the inlet when last out... thoughts?

New to forum and been to bamfeild only a few times. Any advice for getting some hali this year? All rigged up but not sure where to drop anchor. Any help would be appreciated! I have two young boys who are eager to get their first halibut!

Hey guys,
Been lurking in the shadows here enjoying the great reports over the past year after having been out on our first exciting trip to Port Alberni/Poett’s last summer. So I thought I’d give back something after our latest trip this past week.
Stopped past China Creek for a couple of hours our first day and picked up a 21lb on a pink hootch. Most guys we’re saying the white or pink hootchies were better up the inlet and chovie better down Bamfield way but we continued to use at least one pink hootchie and had success with that in Poett’s as well.
Have the wife along and neither of us are 5am people so we make breakfast and aren’t on the water till 8 or 9 each day and still managed 2 springs a day in the 15 to 20lb range after a few of hours of late morning and late afternoon fishing.
Mackeral were worst in the Flemming area though some guys did really well off Flemming early morning before we got there but between the seaweed and the mackerel it was real headache. Some guys we’re doing well deeper around 65 using larger plugs as they avoided the mackerel headaches. We fished mainly at 27 and 45 feet. Using extra long leaders for the springs and didn’t hit one coho nor heard of many being taken.
It’s a crap shoot as to whether to stay up inlet or go down but we did hit another nice spring across from China Creek on the way back and lost it at the boat as the wife seemed to think you should first bonk the fish on the head with the net and then try and scoop it!
She actually did a great job netting the rest of the fish on our trip and I had my own gaff moment of thinking I was river fish and lost one when I unconsciously did a hard hook set and bent the hook right out of the mouth of what must have been a nice fish.
Just a shout out of thanks to the Samrock and Slabmaster for sharing their years of wisdom one beautiful afternoon while tied up for lunch and a bevy. Slabmaster thanks again for filleting those rock cod for us and we’ll endeavor to have some bigger ones for you next time. Give the Tiderunner a shout on 6 if you’re out next weekend.
Some guys crying the blues that things are much slower than last year and that’s probably true but you can’t complain about the size of the fish being taken. Many guys saying that the bigger springs had moved up China way.
Reports elsewhere around the inside of the Island are looking a lot worse so we left the boat parked at a guys place and heading back for one more trip during the derby madness this coming weekend.
Good luck guys.

Heading up to Bamfield Sept 9th to 12th,staying at Seabeam. Hopefully we will get offshore for a quick Hali fish before it closes that day. Maybe the weather will cooperate.
A few smilies and maybe some coho and all will be happy.

Want to take some guys from Europe down to the Sound to show them around this weekend (all are fishers).Does anybody know if 7 mile bank is still producing coho or any other area closer in.
Thanks

Back