Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

does the coho reg change now in our area?

Fish are around nanat/Bamfield Wall

Finally got out this morning, hit slack tide just right and picked up 5 springs and a Hatchery coho. Great weather and good fishing, lets hope that some more fish are moving in and its the begining rather than the end. Good time to fish in close and save some money on gas and still get some nice salmon. Take care and fish hard.

Well wrapped up the last charter of the season yesterday at big bank. Lots of the same small stuff that's been there all summer. Tough year but already looking forward to next season! Will post some pics soon and work on some vids from this summer. Tight lines to everyone still grinding.

My brother asked me to go to Poett’s Nook for the long weekend. It was my first time into Bamfield this year. Heard some really bad reports and was thinking it was going to be a zoo with the Derby on. I figured we better run 4 lines to see if we could find some. I, not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, thought the Derby was $30.00 a day per rod. That and the run all the way back to Clutesi to weigh a possible winner got us to take a pass on entering.
I figured with my luck we’d catch the potential Derby winner and I’d be kicking myself for loosing 10 grand. So here’s what we get around 6:30am Saturday morning. Don’t know if the picture does it justice but on the boat, I was thinking 32-34 and really hoping something would end up beating it.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/sean_kelleher1/20120901_091310.jpg

Back at the Nook 12 hours later, another picture of it.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/sean_kelleher1/20120901_1804253.jpg

The moment of truth, on the scale. I don’t know how accurate the scale is or how much weight a fish looses in that time but I figure she should be a good 31lbs which could have netted me a grand for third on Saturday?

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i389/sean_kelleher1/20120901_180410.jpg

Oh well…we had a great time picking up 4 springs 31,23,15 and 14 and 5 cohos ranging up to a nice 12lber. We also lost 5 fish. Considering it’s slow, I think we did pretty well for 2 1/2 days fishing.

Big thanks to Zurtro spoons for the 31 on a blue dragon. Been a long time since I got one that big.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, everyone.

Took last weekend off to do a 4 day freshawater canoe trip up island with my son. He is an absolute fishing machine at only 13. We about killed each other when we unloaded everything and realized that the rods had been left back in Nanaimo!!! We had fun anyhow with some borrowed line and a 4' stick LOL

Anyhow, my wife wants us all to go camping this coming weekend and as she has given the go ahead for a fishing/camping trip it sure would be nice to hear reports of coho in the sound. She likes the nook!
We can snipe to almost anywhere on the island with our set up so, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Smiley.

p.s. the 5 days I fished Alberni the week before the derby were so slow that I was too depressed to make a report, sorry!

Just got back from 2 days at
Bamfield and the fishing has picked-up nicely compared to august and the weather was great!I fished only 1 rod[being lazy]and bonked 4 springs and 4 nice sized coho,the largest 27 lb.Didn't travel far..Agular point down to Whittlestone.All on anchovie 45-55 ft.It's not over...get your rig out there and enjoy some good fishin!

Last report Summer 2012 , where the hell did that go... , Duckers home for the winter now : ) ...
Blair come to the Derby ! should be fun ,know a few fireman..one in my boat..

fishing wasnt too bad from Whittlestone right down to Yankee Bay this past weekend,especially considering we were the last boat ta leave the dock every day Fog Ducker = Club Ducker...turned into a dance floor on the back a few times lol...
multiple fish days for us , 22 - 44 ft on anchovies , opened up a fish at the the table , full of small needlefish , guess what i used the next day ! it went off , in front of a few boats too lol.. nothing huge , 22lbs the largest , quite a few coho around too , troll FAST , seen a boat hitting them pretty consistently on anchovies , no flasher , FAST , couple of Older Veteran buddies , cool ta see..

Spoke to Ken from Rockey Point Charters.., He was still doing very well at the Rats , bonked a 40lb the day i spoke to him out there..

manage ta whack a few Hali on a hump in Imperial Channel , nothin huge , but quick...

oh ya,,,

Zutro Solid Green
334 - UV
HEX

caught the biggest spring , first time i used it lol.. .... GREEN GREEN GREEN ..... : )

gd lk

have a great winter fellas
, lill ducker there soon for the winter , Crabbing was slow , BUT , prawning was definatey worth it...will only get better..

See ya soon Paul , Nadine !!

Felix

Boys, its back on. Some nice fishing in the Sound today. Might be a batch of late comers. Go get'm.

Boys, its back on. Some nice fishing in the Sound today. Might be a batch of late comers. Go get'm.

Wonder if the Tuna boys have there salmon gear on board.....sorry I cannot sneak out...hope you have a good one..cheers :)

Well the seasons done and winter doldrums are already starting so i thought i would do a big photo dump of pics from the summer. If you want to see more then give us a like on Facebook at "BC Tough".

Jonny coaching the girls through a double header

a36-1.jpg

a39.jpg

One
a37-1.jpg

Two
a41-1.jpg

Back