Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

Got a brief report from 7mile today....5 springs 20+ lbs with 1 fish over 30lbs.

The biggers are trickling in hopefully!

any springs in the Barkley Sound? would like to go down the canal for a couple hours and come back home.

Wondering do Haggards Cove or Kildonan (small village) have gas station with unleaded gas?

My brother is up from Texas with his Girlfriend and my 9 year old nephew so we decided to drag my boat over to the west coast for a day of fishing in Barkley Sound yesterday. Ran out from Toquart to Effingham and had a day full of action. Kept 5 springs up to 26lbs and released a ton of smaller ones. The Humpbacks were putting on a show all day as well. Needless to say they enjoyed their west coast experience. Here's my brother enjoying his biggest fish ever.

Attachments

• 483245_10150935117876596_159717264_n.jpg
    483245_10150935117876596_159717264_n.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 138
My brother is up from Texas with his Girlfriend and my 9 year old nephew so we decided to drag my boat over to the west coast for a day of fishing in Barkley Sound yesterday. Ran out from Toquart to Effingham and had a day full of action. Kept 5 springs up to 26lbs and released a ton of smaller ones. The Humpbacks were putting on a show all day as well. Needless to say they enjoyed their west coast experience. Here's my brother enjoying his biggest fish ever.

Nice report FF!!! Sounds like a good time. Can't wait till tomorrow:).

I know that this subject has been discussed a number of times.I am going to the nook on Friday and would like to know how is the road conditions.
Thanks for any info.

What an awesome trip to take your brother and family on!

how deep were the fish and what did you hit them on? I suspect the usual but it is always nice to hear

Come on Sunday....hurry up!

Getbent

Bamfield Road

I know that this subject has been discussed a number of times.I am going to the nook on Friday and would like to know how is the road conditions.
Thanks for any info.

The road is in pretty good shape, extremely dusty though. Supposed to rain on Friday so thatll keep the dust down for you. I reccommend running the boat up the inlet if you can vs trailering it. To save the cleaning and abuse on the trailer.

What an awesome trip to take your brother and family on!

how deep were the fish and what did you hit them on? I suspect the usual but it is always nice to hear

Come on Sunday....hurry up!

Getbent

We were just getting small ones at first so i dropped the lines deeper and hit 2 big ones right away. 127ft was the magic depth with an army truck needlfish hoochie. Have fun out there!

Nice work FF! Not bad for a days work!

Headed around to Bamfield on the boat Saturday morning from Victoria. BWD suggests 5kt winds the whole way. Plan to leave about 5:30am which should get us to the dock in Bamfield about 9:30. Staying on a dock close to the medical centre for the month of Aug. Boat's name is Bucktail -- looking forward to a great trip. Hope to see some of you out there.

Spent Monday noon till Thursday noon in Bamfield. Fished 7 mile,14 mile,Turtle Head, South Bank and Kirby to Edward King.
Tuesday at 7 Mile produced limits of Hatchery Coho along with tons of released wild ones(probably 30 in 3-4 hours). No large springs out there,released 10 small springs under 5 pounds. Dropped into Edward King on the way back and picked up two springs 8 and 10 pounds.
Wednesday out to South Bank at 630, had to wade through schools of wild Coho but ended up with our hatcheries and three halis all 20-22 pounds, a few very small springs released and one 5 foot blue shark who really wanted my fingers bad when trying to release him carefully. No big springs that day,great leaping whale shows all day ,that was a bonus. One 7 foot shark swam past the stern of the boat which was kind of weird as we were talking about taking a dip,,,needless to say we stayed in the boat after that.
Dropped into Kirby on the way home and picked up two springs just under 10 pounds.
Went out Thursday morning to Kirby for 4 hours and picked up 4 feeder springs all just under 10 pounds (they were all identical),released a few wild coho and the usual handful of small lings. Didn't see any big fish boated . Headed in at 1045 to pack up and drove the road out which was fine.
Most of the fish were caught with Zurtro spoons, the big winner was the kitchen sink. I caught so many wild coho on that spoon I lost count. The pilchard spoon also produced well on the springs down deep. the hali were all caught on a money spoon dragging the muddy bottom at South Bank.
Kind of disappointing that the big boys were not in with any great numbers yet. A few scattered big ones were taken every day but no regular reports of limits of 25 pounders by most boats yet.
Even Big Bank was a bit off if the reports were accurate.
Still a most enjoyable 4 days without a drop of rain(that was a first for Bamfield ).

Back