And you though halibut were tough to catch

that is the second video out of Homer Alaska with schooling butts in recent weeks...
edit: As I understand halibut are school fish. I did not mean this was a rare occasion or anything. Just a good place to have your GoPro....now, if I could figure out how to get my bait in front of just one of them, I'd be happy.

here's the other vid someone posted recently...

[A1HmDit2wkA] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1HmDit2wkA

Last edited by a moderator:
bout 1200 miles from Hardy. But pick your weather, it could get nasty :)

Wow! Why would the hali attack the camera like that?? Presumably it has no scent, so was it electric current, colour, light, sound given off or what??
There is an interesting angling research project right there.....

I've been to Homer, but didn't fish. But just based on the sheer number and size of the halibut I saw on the docks, its title as "Halibut Capital of the World" is well deserved. Huge numbers of huge fish. When I was there, I don't think I even saw many halibut that were under 50 lbs, and I saw lots of "barn doors". Like most of Alaska, it is a special place.

I was checking out a charter companie's website in Homer and they had posted that they averaged over 1000lbs of hali per day during peak season, this was on a 4 pack! Thats insane!

Wow! Why would the hali attack the camera like that?? Presumably it has no scent, so was it electric current, colour, light, sound given off or what??
There is an interesting angling research project right there.....

No different from sharks biting on a camera to see if it is edible. Probably light is what caught their attention, and it appeared to be an active time for the halibut. Feeding frenzy type atmosphere. Halibut do not need scent to motivate them to bite something. I know some guys fish large spoons of spreader bars on the banks off wcvi. No scent either.

Watched a school of twenty or so pingpongs decimate a small feed ball just below my boat at kirby last year.

If some of you had said they have seen similar scenes themselves before I would insist this has to inside a halibut farm...lol Incredible. I have never experienced a hali concentration even remotely like that. I always assumed they move in small troops - 5- maybe 10 individuals.

Sometimes I think we give fish too much credit. They were either: hungry, territorial, or just dumb fish. Kind of like an infant. Ya, dirt is not food, but that wont stop the kid from eating it. If Halibut were that smart, we could just ask them why they like GoPro. lol

I can't catch em to save my life, but I think its the hook they are outwitting, not me. haha

hali

Maybe we've found a new hali lure...just put a hook on it, good to go.

Shows that halibut are not exactly picky eaters....bite it to see if it's edible. I'd love to see what goes on down there at 200ft on a hot day on swiftsure, a bite of something within 30 seconds every time....must be a frenzy like this. (but I'm not putting my gopro down there!)

Also interesting to note just how clearly the hali line transmits reel noise. If there was loud music playing in the boat, would you hear it in the gopro? And are halibut attracted by certain sounds? I wonder if there's another sense to experiment with in attracting fish???

Back