And So It Begins...

And on the eighth day, he said That's a Wrap for Round One on the Tuna:

HNxxhxO.jpg

9Xr3EbF.jpg

Round Two starts tomorrow...

Don't see a whole lot of point to rehashing the process with this next run. But stay tuned... I'll start up another thread once we get to Sausage Time...

Cheers,
Not
You ever thought about doing it to earn money or is there to much bureaucratic BS to go through?

And on the eighth day, he said That's a Wrap for Round One on the Tuna:

HNxxhxO.jpg

9Xr3EbF.jpg

Round Two starts tomorrow...

Don't see a whole lot of point to rehashing the process with this next run. But stay tuned... I'll start up another thread once we get to Sausage Time...

Cheers,
Not
Looks pretty damn good, I had some of my Candied tuna from ST Jeans tonight, but this is next level.
Man I love these start to finish threads

You ever thought about doing it to earn money or is there to much bureaucratic BS to go through?

First, in order to sell it and make a nickel, you'd have to charge so damn much no-one could afford it. Just the supplies per run is high, then figure out your time and effort...

Second: You nailed it. Health Canada & the Canadian Food Inspection Agency aren't your friend when trying to set something of that nature up.

Captain PartyMan: Sounds like it is going well then. Watching and feel free to ask if any further questions etc.

Next run into the dry brine myself today...

Cheers,
Nog

Second: You nailed it. Health Canada & the Canadian Food Inspection Agency aren't your friend when trying to set something of that nature up.

How do farmers markets get around this is it just such low volume that no one cares?

First, in order to sell it and make a nickel, you'd have to charge so damn much no-one could afford it. Just the supplies per run is high, then figure out your time and effort...

Captain PartyMan: Sounds like it is going well then. Watching and feel free to ask if any further questions etc.

Next run into the dry brine myself today...

Cheers,
Nog
Yeah I figured as much! Always make it hard for a fella to make some coin! Looks fantastic though

I’ll bet that tastes amazing,, it just looks so darn good.

Just so dry to the touch. Don't overdue it, or it will be dry internally (catastrophic failure) as well.
Depending on temperatures, it can take anywhere from just a few hours, up to 24.

I run around 6 hours of cold smoke (my last lot never got above 10 degrees C in the Big Box).
Suggest checking at 5 hours (pull a piece out, slice and taste - not the end cut, the next one in).
You will know if it needs a little more.

Cheers

Man, tempted to buy case of loins to try this.

Last time I had some I made gravlax and was happy enough with that. But this looks shall we say "elevated".

Hey Nog. So I have been drying for about 24hrs. They seem like they are pretty dry but they are still sticky. I think the glaze I used might have been a bit too thick, I also have a few spot which look like tuna oil is being sweated to the surface and it won't dry completely in that area. I am going to put them in smoker as I don't want to dry them out too much

If the pellicle doesn't form won't they just turn to mush? Are they elevated off the paper towels? Fans?

Sorry, just seeing this.
The oils coming to the surface are a semi regular occurrence.
To defeat that, I often swab them down with paper towel just before hitting the smoker.
If your brine was a little thick, the oil should help to thin that out and allow you to do that.
Could use a shop cloth as an alternative.

There should be no issue smoking it as you have done.
Once you've run it to your satisfaction, let the loins sit a spell on their own after removing from the smoker.
Then if there are still a few damp or oily spots, run over them with the cloth.
The surface should soon dry pretty much completely thereafter.

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited:
Back