And So It Begins...

IronNoggin

Held off for the chilly weather, and now appears to be the time.

Today: Fillet and brine whole sides of eight coho (16 sides).
Hold in brine over tomorrow, then onto the racks under the fans the next.
Then a day in the smoker.

Next up: Another eight coho cut to candy, brined, dried, glazed then smoked.
Following that: A rinse & repeat with the same number of coho.

Lagging behind: 44 Tuna loins to double brine (dry then wet), desalinate, fan dry, glaze and cold smoke.

Better Busy than Bored!

Cheers,
Nog

zdwGhQL.jpg

Relative Humidity is so high that even with all four fans on full roar the fillets did not dry out sufficiently to smoke overnight.

Good thing it is cold (and clearing). Temperature in the garage has not risen above 4 Celsius.

They will be fine for another overnight session & drying slowly works well for an excellent finished product.

So, shutting down the pre-warming cycle on the smoker, and starting the choppy whacky job for the first batch of Gummy Bears...

And on it goes...

Nog

zdwGhQL.jpg

Relative Humidity is so high that even with all four fans on full roar the fillets did not dry out sufficiently to smoke overnight.

Good thing it is cold (and clearing). Temperature in the garage has not risen above 4 Celsius.

They will be fine for another overnight session & drying slowly works well for an excellent finished product.

So, shutting down the pre-warming cycle on the smoker, and starting the choppy whacky job for the first batch of Gummy Bears...

And on it goes...

Nog
Ahhhhhhh that's better. I'm looking forward to more after the choppy whacky job.

All sides (except the one we are currently chewing on) Vac Sealed:

47MduNT.jpg

They now sit on top of the freezer for a whole day to allow the various flavors to mingle well:

9XeQiyA.jpg

Getting the screens ready for the turn around to Gummy Bear Candy.

Here's a hint for any aspiring Gummy Bear Makers. Notice that the majority of the strips have now sunk into the brine rather than floating (see previous picture for comparison). This is an indication they are damn near ready for the next stage under the fans:

Zujr5so.jpg

And if the saying "No Rest For The Wicked" is real, I must have been a particularly Evil Bugger in a previous lifetime! :cool:

On it goes...
Nog

I was just snacking on some St.Jeans candy a friend gave me and I've gotta admit it's pretty darn good. How does yours compare texture and flavor wise? I like how they keep the skin on the thin strips. It all eats well, no need to remove the skin.

I was just snacking on some St.Jeans candy a friend gave me and I've gotta admit it's pretty darn good. How does yours compare texture and flavor wise? I like how they keep the skin on the thin strips. It all eats well, no need to remove the skin.

I've had many many folks compare what St. Jeans does as compared to my whole sides, Gummy Bear Candy and Cold Smoked Tuna. To a one, they all preferred mine by a long shot. They simply can't put the time, focus and effort into smaller individual batches like I can. And it really shows!

Only issue with that is most of them now want me to process their catches!!
confused0024.gif

Too many fish, too little time!

Cheers,
Nog

I've had many many folks compare what St. Jeans does as compared to my whole sides, Gummy Bear Candy and Cold Smoked Tuna. To a one, they all preferred mine by a long shot. They simply can't put the time, focus and effort into smaller individual batches like I can. And it really shows!

Only issue with that is most of them now want me to process their catches!!
confused0024.gif

Too many fish, too little time!

Cheers,
Nog
Haha well I assumed yours was better duh! I just want to know how it compares as a point of reference. Saltier, sweeter, firmer, softer or just very similar but better? Do you ever do the candy skin on?

Never done Candy with skin on, and never will.

Not going to debate the qualities of one product against the next on a forum LOL
But when I have finished the Gummy Bears, I'll see if there is a way to get you a taste & you can make your own assessment...
Cheers.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Never done Candy with skin on, and never will.

Not going to debate the qualities of one product against the next on a forum LOL
But when I have finished the Gummy Bears, I'll see if there is a way to get you a taste & you can make your own assessment...
Cheers.gif

Cheers,
Nog
Deal :)

Sorry Nog but to lazy to look back lol.

Do you use the same brine recipe on your whole coho fillets as your candy or do you use a dry brine. What temp do you smoke at and for how many hours on your whole fillets.

Thanks, yah I know like you didn’t have enough to do lol.

Do you use the same brine recipe on your whole coho fillets as your candy or do you use a dry brine. What temp do you smoke at and for how many hours on your whole fillets.

Both are wet brines, but dramatically different. Remind me, and I will post each.

Whole sides start at around 125 degrees, and finish at between 145 and 150. Occasionally (if in a rush) I can finish a little higher than that.
Depending on ambient temperature, these take from 8 to 12 hours (of course not being smoked all of that time period).

Candy is a Cold Smoke show. Never gets above 75 - 80 degrees ever, and usually much cooler.

Cheers,
Nog

You bet when ever you get the time, no rush.

Thanks.

Gummy Bear Candy Brine:

1.5 gallons of water
1/2 cup of coarse salt
4 Kg's of Demerra Sugar
4 cups of real maple syrup
4 Kg's of pure honey (melted)
1/2 cup lemon juice

This run 3 days in the brine at an average of 4 degrees. Suspect 3 - 4 days under the fans to dry & glaze.

Did a different version of my Hot Smoke Brine for the full sides this time:

1.5 gallons of water
1 cup of coarse salt
4 cups Demerra (brown cane) Sugar
1/3 jar Garlic Plus (ClubHouse One-Step Seasonings)
I full jar Southern Barbecue Spice (Clubhouse)
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 jar Smoking Stampeded Beer & Chipoltie Barbecue Sauce
50 grams Dry Mustard
1 package dehydrated chopped onion

That was on brine 2 days, under the fans 2 days, and 10 hours in the smoker, Turned out extremely well.

Candy Strips going under the fans now...

Cheers,
Nog

Gummy Bear Candy Brine:

1.5 gallons of water
1/2 cup of coarse salt
4 Kg's of Demerra Sugar
4 cups of real maple syrup
4 Kg's of pure honey (melted)
1/2 cup lemon juice

This run 3 days in the brine at an average of 4 degrees. Suspect 3 - 4 days under the fans to dry & glaze.

Did a different version of my Hot Smoke Brine for the full sides this time:

1.5 gallons of water
1 cup of coarse salt
4 cups Demerra (brown cane) Sugar
1/3 jar Garlic Plus (ClubHouse One-Step Seasonings)
I full jar Southern Barbecue Spice (Clubhouse)
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 jar Smoking Stampeded Beer & Chipoltie Barbecue Sauce
50 grams Dry Mustard
1 package dehydrated chopped onion

That was on brine 2 days, under the fans 2 days, and 10 hours in the smoker, Turned out extremely well.

Candy Strips going under the fans now...

Cheers,
Nog
Awesome thanks Nog. Snapped a screen shot of it, have it now.

Back