And So It Begins...

Even though I've eaten some of your candy, and it was excellent and unique, I can't remember if you pulled the bones.
Do you, or do they just become soft and edible?

Even though I've eaten some of your candy, and it was excellent and unique, I can't remember if you pulled the bones.
Do you, or do they just become soft and edible?

Always pull all bones. Don't think the brine would soften them enough, and makes for a more appealing product IMO.

Cheers,
Nog

With the RH being basically 100%, it took three days for the strips to dry properly. Thankfully the temperatures stayed low!

DVczFAg.jpg

e4Cpb7e.jpg

The squirter bottle in the upper left of that first picture is loaded with 50% Maple Syrup, and 50% Black Rum. The Glaze.

Applied:

TNdwfap.jpg

F1yWQVM.jpg

Should set up quite nicely overnight, then into the smoker for a spell.
Next load thawing out for Choppy Whacky tomorrow...

And on it goes...
Nog

How many coho was this?
With the RH being basically 100%, it took three days for the strips to dry properly. Thankfully the temperatures stayed low!

DVczFAg.jpg

e4Cpb7e.jpg

The squirter bottle in the upper left of that first picture is loaded with 50% Maple Syrup, and 50% Black Rum. The Glaze.

Applied:

TNdwfap.jpg

F1yWQVM.jpg

Should set up quite nicely overnight, then into the smoker for a spell.
Next load thawing out for Choppy Whacky tomorrow...

And on it goes...
Nog

Did that brine recipe provide enough for all 8 chopped up coho??

Amazing work. Thanks for sharing!

LOL! Answered your own question it would seem. 8 coho & 2 springs.
And yes, the brine was just the right amount.

Cheers,
Nog

LOL! Answered your own question it would seem. 8 coho & 2 springs.
And yes, the brine was just the right amount.

Cheers,
Nog
I guess I did! I’m going to give the candy a whirl, but will need to cut back on the volume for less fish. Thanks!

While that first run of Candy was smoking, I set to getting the next batch ready:

lUpZDFj.jpg

Takes hours to do, but by the end of that shift Round Two managed a successful splash down:

YEOXJeg.jpg

No sooner finished that when the run in the smoker suggested it was time. So out of the big box and on top of a house freezer overnight:

YWj8hK0.jpg

You can sort of see that they indeed are translucent and very much like the Gummy Bear product they got their name from.

A better boo:

0I56efH.jpg

5BCFDKT.jpg

Both The Lady & I concur - another super fine product!
sHa_shakeshout.gif

Makes it all worth the effort!

Today is bag and tag day, then prep the screens for their next go.

Be nice to have a day "off" tomorrow!!
happy0009.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Wrapped up the smoking of this lot yesterday. Sat overnight on the house freezers to do their thing:

viM6lms.jpg

Vacuum sealing took around 4 hours this go. Bit of effort, but worth it IMHO:

SYzbytv.jpg

aowgBxS.jpg

Another whole tote full of Yummyness now sits overnight before jumping into the cold box:

i1WjlpE.jpg

And that's a wrap for salmon. Taking a day or two off, then onto a massive double run of Cold Smoked Tuna...

And on it goes...
Nog

Wrapped up the smoking of this lot yesterday. Sat overnight on the house freezers to do their thing:

viM6lms.jpg

Vacuum sealing took around 4 hours this go. Bit of effort, but worth it IMHO:

SYzbytv.jpg

aowgBxS.jpg

Another whole tote full of Yummyness now sits overnight before jumping into the cold box:

i1WjlpE.jpg

And that's a wrap for salmon. Taking a day or two off, then onto a massive double run of Cold Smoked Tuna...

And on it goes...
Nog
That is some yummy looking stuff, I am going to have to try making it sometime.

The couple days down were refreshing, but recognizing the mountain of work still staring me down, I decided it was time to get back in the saddle...

After doing a piece count I recognized I'll have to do two runs of this product, as there is no way it could all fit in my smoker despite the latter's rather generous size. That being the case I went with four loins per screen, and loading only eight of the ten screens per run. Makes for an even amount both runs.

Thawing tuna lions:

GZEYNyP.jpg

Chopping and initiating the dry brine component:

Qrh8vFF.jpg

4iPcXOU.jpg

Capping with the dry brine mix:

v0gW7gw.jpg

And a couple hours later with four totes loaded to sit overnight:

YgxoUiF.jpg

I thought it might a tad longer than the usual 24 hours for this part of the process due to overnight temperatures hovering at basically zero. But when I checked them this morning, it appears they are well on their way. Means a quick scramble to get ready for the next stage later this afternoon - the wet brine component.

Stay tuned, more to come soon...

Cheers,
Nog

Back