Algae bloom?

Old Fisher

It must be an algae bloom but I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much discoloured water in Barkley and Alberni inlet. Looks like milky herring spawn. Has anyone seen it to this extent before?

The water is really warm and it had been sunny.
El nino is in effect, so it's like a triple whammy. Perfect recipe for algae bloom.
Tons of jellyfish around too.

I’llI am wondering if anyone can comment on the water clarity in Barkley sound right now? How far out does the algae bloom go? Is it also in Ukee? Offshore? Long beach?? Any input really appreciated. PM is you like.

I’ve seen it brown like double double Tim’s coffee over the years I’ve fished there, happens all the time during dry hot long periods, when it was bad I use to fish outside in the surf line, instead of staying inside

I’llI am wondering if anyone can comment on the water clarity in Barkley sound right now? How far out does the algae bloom go? Is it also in Ukee? Offshore? Long beach?? Any input really appreciated. PM is you like.
Water clarity varies in the sound and the inlet from a tropical color that is slightly milky to a light brown color that has decent clarity. We spent the last few days there and found that it did not seem to be affecting fish on the outer edges of the sound. Fishing was good if you were in the right spots. Water clarity is probably better down deeper but we found fish at the normal depths, nice coho and springs to the low twenties. It’s still early for the inner areas of the sound. Didn’t go offshore so can’t comment about that.

Back