Alberni Inlet springs

Fished Coulson, Lonetree and the harbour Sat and Sun, got one 22 lb spring ( on a watermelon spoon) and lost another (on an mp2 squirt) so didnt do that well for 14 hours of fishing. I note a number of the boats that seem to be doing well were using gold coloured flashers and am wondering if anyone can tell me the name of the flasher? GJ.

Fished Coulson, Lonetree and the harbour Sat and Sun, got one 22 lb spring ( on a watermelon spoon) and lost another (on an mp2 squirt) so didnt do that well for 14 hours of fishing. I note a number of the boats that seem to be doing well were using gold coloured flashers and am wondering if anyone can tell me the name of the flasher? GJ.

The gold "betsy"

Or it could be the gold-sided Hotspot with the dark purplish body. My guide buddy uses that one all the time in the Inlet.

The previous 2 days were dead for us

Today I hooked into a beauty with no boats around. After a non stop screaming run that never seemed to end I was starting to gain ground on the fish. We were fishing by ourselves with only a close friend and buddy in another boat to see what happened next.
Along came another boat and we tried to wave him off our fish but he continued coming.

Long story short he ran over the fish and cut if off, I lost all the gear as well. First the guy said he was far enough away and the next conversation was that he did not know we had a fish. Basically he was not paying attention to his surroundings.

We did end up the day with 4 springs biggest weighing 30lbs at the clutesi scale after being bled and on ice for 5 hours. The one that was ran over by the other boat was well over the 30 mark for sure.

I wont be fishing the derby gong show, there is already enough of that daily at the launch and on the water...

The previous 2 days were dead for us

Today I hooked into a beauty with no boats around. After a non stop screaming run that never seemed to end I was starting to gain ground on the fish. We were fishing by ourselves with only a close friend and buddy in another boat to see what happened next.
Along came another boat and we tried to wave him off our fish but he continued coming.

Long story short he ran over the fish and cut if off, I lost all the gear as well. First the guy said he was far enough away and the next conversation was that he did not know we had a fish. Basically he was not paying attention to his surroundings.

We did end up the day with 4 springs biggest weighing 30lbs at the clutesi scale after being bled and on ice for 5 hours. The one that was ran over by the other boat was well over the 30 mark for sure.

I wont be fishing the derby gong show, there is already enough of that daily at the launch and on the water...
Ah - that's a brutal end to an epic battle...the boat that shows up and causes the fish to be gone.
The hope is alive that there will be some more big fish around. What lures were catching these big aforementioned fish?

Thanks for your replies JaundeOne and Seafever. I have the gold betsy, tried it and no luck so will head to the tackle shop and pick up the gold sided (dark purplish body) Hotspot and give it a try Thursday. Will let you know how I do.

GJ

GJ
My thoughts are not so much the flasher but maybe your leader length?
Most use 43 " for springs .....
I really like the mp2 squirt for PA but I am using very old stock on that one so the dye lot may be different..?
I also like the full size pink hootchies for PA as well.

I only use 2 kinds of flashers.. the betsy silver ( not gold) and purple haze but I prefer it without the purple stripe in it.

And Just a note to those that may be heading to PA this weekend ...I am leaving before the derby...

The RCMP boat the INKSTER arrived yesterday..
If you are planning to be bad on the water....port may not be the place!
Be prepared for spot checks!

Todays fishing

2 springs aroung 20 lbs
3 coho

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Islandgirl.
I love your advice! Not sure the derby committee wants to hear it. lol
Wanted to know what you are catching the coho on these days and how deep.
Are they down the canal or up to the harbour yet?
Would love to have some coho to can seeing as the sockeye didn't really happen.
Left PA yesterday with a 20 lber and a scrawny sockeye off Home Island.

Hi Islandgirl.
Are they down the canal or up to the harbour yet?
Would love to have some coho to can seeing as the sockeye didn't really happen.
Left PA yesterday with a 20 lber and a scrawny sockeye off Home Island.
My friends fishing the Alberni Canal have had a few Springs, but they say it has been slow and spotty.
Maybe there are others who are doing better?
Banfield from what I hear and even off shore was very slow this year for Springs.
There must be a bunch of Springs at the Hatchery, or well in the harbor, cause there will be 1300 Springs taken by the Commercial guys Wed.
They get 1300 Springs in an hour and maybe more after that...
I still can't forget the years gone by, when they open the Springs to the Commercial Guys, only to find out a few weeks later, they don't have enough Springs in the Hatchery to meeti their needs....Sure hope that does not happen this year.
I have no problem with the Commercial Boys taking Springs in excess of needs in the river mouth, but only if they know for sure they are in excess. Can anyone confirm they have all the Springs they need in the Hatchery already?
Somehow I doubt it????
Fishery posting....
Area D gill nets will open for 1 hour from 21:00 hours to 22:00 hours
Wednesday, September 5, 2012 in that portion of Subarea 23-1 south of a line
from Polly Point to Stamp Point. The allocation for this fishery is 1,300
pieces of chinook. Future opportunities and additional openings will only be
considered once the catch from this fishery has been determined.
Variation Order 11-SAL-23-GN-26.

There must be a bunch of Springs at the Hatchery, or well in the harbor, cause there will be 1300 Springs taken by the Commercial guys Wed.
They get 1300 Springs in an hour and maybe more after that...
I still can't forget the years gone by, when they open the Springs to the Commercial Guys, only to find out a few weeks later, they don't have enough Springs in the Hatchery to meeti their needs....Sure hope that does not happen this year.
I have no problem with the Commercial Boys taking Springs in excess of needs in the river mouth, but only if they know for sure they are in excess. Can anyone confirm they have all the Springs they need in the Hatchery already?
Somehow I doubt it????
Variation Order 11-SAL-23-GN-26.

I echo your thoughts FI

This year July 31 to Aug 02 the FN had a special commercial fishing event for sockeye when they were still 40 000 fish SHORT of their own escapement target...But is was "All OK" because the proceeds are going to salmon enhance of the bands choice?
Still waiting to hear where the money went and how it was accounted for.

At last count they are still 30 000 fish short of escapement target for sockeye.. We know that target is not going to be reached.

More to come on this years mass commercial slaughter of the sockeye...when I have the final escapement totals.

I have no problem with ANY commercial fishery as long as the long term future of the run is not jeopradized, yet it happens year after year in PA

JaundeOne, Seafever & Island Girl

Sorry for the late reply. Fished Lone Tree/Cous on Thursday morning for 4 hours using the gold/purple body hot spot flasher with mp2 pink hootchie with 42 inch leader (also tried anchovie with a green glow flasher) and nada. My buddy fished a purple jelly fish flasher with a white hootchie and a 35 inch leader and got one on but lost it at the boat.
Finished with the Alberni springs time to go back to Barcley after coho.
Thanks all for your suggestions.

GJ

yup - really slow for me yesterday too. Trolled for 6 hours around Lone Tree & Coulsons and then into the Harbor. One small coho. (same gear as usual - small pink hootchies & anchovies). A friend who hasn't fished all year, went out and caught 3 springs around lone tree yesterday. (I have concluded fishing is luck & skill...a mysterious combination :)

Fished around Cous Creek Bay yesterday, hooked a nice prime mid-teen king salmon. Perfect BBQ size fish. Hootchie plus lost a few. One mackerel to show. This morning, really slow. No kings to be available. Lost a decent northern coho approx. 10 lbs thinking it was mackeral first. Uggghh! Good times on water!

Any news from last nights gillnet opening?[/QUote<

I believe for the Commercial fishermen 1300pieces and 9300 pieces for the native fishery

Targets were 1300 (Area D Gillnet) and 1900 (FN's). Derby, are you saying the FN's took 9,300?? That would be 7,400 OVER their target number? While many did expect they'd run over, that seems a tad high??

Wondering...
Nog

Back