Alberni Inlet springs

we fished from 7.30am to i.30 pm.today used anchivies pink hoocheys and tried coyotie wonderbread 4'' spoon depyhs from 35 ft. to 90 ft. trolled from china creek to the boundry at namint.. caught 4 mackeral and zero anything else...... long trip from Duncan for zip...very ruff road to china creek....maybe next time....C.A.
C.A. - I can sympathize as that was me last week, not catching anything, and I'm pretty much using the same gear. Keep on believing :)

pink hoochies have been the staple for the inlet for the last 7-8 years, mp2,15,and 16's are the most popular

thats so funny I have fished for both socks and springs but never got a spring on a pink one. Mind you I never went long with my leader. edit ill tell you my go to after the derby lol

out again this morning. 24,22,21 and a 8lb coho.Didnt see nearly as many caught this morning as yesterday,we found a new use for the water balloon launcher,its now a mackeral launcher

We also had a great day in the canal...
Biggest was 24 weighed in at the legion derby and 3 more slightly smaller and a coho

Lost 4 more as well... flat water, lots of sun and great friends made for a great day : )

no luck and a tougher day for us today, fished 7-11am and only managed to hook 2 that were about 10 and 15lbs, and lost 'em both at the side of the boat! fished from lone tree to Dunsmuir... didnt see a ton happening, but definitely fish being picked up, seems most boats had 1-2 on average with a few better success stories mixed in.

anchovy had the 2 hook ups for us, and agreed about the beauty morning out there!

slow for us today....and the "good luck" ran out but the awesome sunshine was spectacular. We had one hit on an anchovy. Off to smoke some salmon :)

Lost two king salmon, 1 mackeral.... Sunny morning then clouds , calm water
First solid strike, didn't stick, 2 rd fish very few inches to the net, split the hook. Little dark 15 lbs king.

Good times thru

Great day on the water this morning,we landed 7 with the biggest being 24 and the smallest was 12. Double header right off the bat,they got so tangled togeather that I ended up having to cut the line and managed to hand bomb both of them in.

Here is a pic of the kids with the mackeral launcher in action
maclauncher020.jpg

Yeah it works pretty good,says it will launch a water balloon 300 yards but we can only get about 75 yards outta the mackeral

It amazes me what the human being will teach his children. No wonder each generation gets more and more screwed up.

It amazes me what the human being will teach his children. No wonder each generation gets more and more screwed up.

Wow, that's a low blow. These things are very resilient, like rats, doubt it would have any impact on the Ecosystem. The eagles eat them. Something will eat them.

He is helping Mother Nature by providing sustenance for our feathered friends who need to eat too.

I think if you launched them properly with the equipment, the Mackerel could be picked up "on the fly" by passing seagulls or maybe an Eagle.

Oh....by the way....do you think it would work for Dogfish?

LMAO are you kidding me??

WTG albernifisher, was out last week and watched my bro and law booting them into the water. The less mackerel in the water the better for the salmon fry!!

I personally do not know anyone who gently release them??

LMAO are you kidding me??

WTG albernifisher, was out last week and watched my bro and law booting them into the water. The less mackerel in the water the better for the salmon fry!!

I personally do not know anyone who gently release them??
I used to gently release them---to my lab.
T2

I will never release a mackeral again. Every one we hook goes into the box. They work great as hali, ling, rockfish, crab bait. Releasing them back is like killing hundreds of salmon fry.

We caught over 20 last trip to Bam in a single day. We tossed a few to the eagles at Kirby and they seemed to enjoy them. That slingshot would be perfect. The eagles sit in the trees and watch and fish that gets tossed back and if it's at the surface they dive bomb and grab it. You could even slingshot them onto the rocks to guarantee they get them.

P.S. the sport retention limit is 100 per day and 200 possession.

Back