Alberni Inlet springs

sunday was hot for us.. china creek. 3 in the boat. 22,26,18 on bait 70' lost a few nicer ones, and saw alot of nets out.

Fished yesterday 8-2, no hits, one mackerel.
Lots of nets out and fish being caught.
Fished today 630-1, 2 great hits but both lost. Saw way fewer nets out than yesterday.
First hit broke leader at hoochie - aargh.
The second hit would have been beautiful but it was on a 6" spoon only and the first run was powerful enough to spin the reel into a mess on the young lad, then the dark red bellied monster jumped behind the boat beside us, smiled at everyone and spit the hook - great cheers all around for the aerial display; and one annoyed 13y.o.
Quite windy both days.

Taking tomorrow off then back up for FriSatSun, wondering if should stay close or head to sound...

Still catching some fish out in the inlet. A more relaxed start at 7:30am today and saw a few fish being caught on the troll from Lone Tree to Mactush, then at about 10:30, we get a double header, I was able to land mine (pink hootchie - 50 feet) - 21lbs & my friend loses his as the leader snapped on the anchovy(first spring he has ever fought). Then no more bites after that. Also should mention we caught a 5lb sockeye (nice and silver) on a white hootchie?!
- For others slower, but other guys did get their limits around 10am (pink & red hootchie). Smiley....my bet is still stay in the inlet.
I'll be out there tomorrow (and possibly on Friday & Saturday).

There's no problem keeping a foul hooked fish in the salt next time pwp. If you choose to.

I don't have the regs handy, but does it not say that you are not allowed to keep a fish that is hooked anywhere behind the gills?

I don't have the regs handy, but does it not say that you are not allowed to keep a fish that is hooked anywhere behind the gills?

funny you mention that... once i was reeling in a spring on a cut plug... hooked into the thing, realized it was on the smaller side, and after it took a good run it turned into a monster. i legitimately thought i had hooked into a type that grabbed the plug after the small one came off. not the case... the hook came out of the spings mouth, and after he turned to flee the scene, got caught in the back. my trailer was in his mouth to prove it. 9ish lbs!

You can keep it if it is hooked anywhere as long as you don't "willfully foul hook" it.

You can keep it if it is hooked anywhere as long as you don't "willfully foul hook" it.
after some research I echo Ogithorpe, as the Freshwater explicitly states a foul hooked fish must be released, but Saltwater regs doesn't specify about accidently hooking a salmon.

As for fishing in the inlet - 2 yesterday (twin 26lbers - lost the 3rd fish on a tripleheader) & today caught 2 spring (21 lbs & 15 lbs). Most productive is the pink hootchie, but the anchovy is also catching some. (40-60'). Lots of boats out there (and yes the fish are a bit darker, but when cut up still look and taste great!)

For a friday there was a crazy amount of boats out there, looked like derby weekend. We went 3 for 7 this morning 21,18 and a 17 all on pink hoochies

this pink hootchie thing is weird! every one is plunking down there sockeye gear!? just on a longer leader? much wind in the mornings? coming up next weekend cant wait!

we fished from 7.30am to i.30 pm.today used anchivies pink hoocheys and tried coyotie wonderbread 4'' spoon depyhs from 35 ft. to 90 ft. trolled from china creek to the boundry at namint.. caught 4 mackeral and zero anything else...... long trip from Duncan for zip...very ruff road to china creek....maybe next time....C.A.

Back