300k boat for 200k

I have a 5.7gxi with a dps a drive. New drive in 2016 and it's been rock solid. Some df torqued the gear oil level check too tight and I had to helicoil it, and the only other issue I had was the props froze onto the shaft and the same df bent the props trying to bash them off. I rigged a puller with aircraft wire and they paid to fix the props. My one year new props haha. Anyway you won't have issues with those drives as long as you properly service them annually which means separating the drive from the transom shield.

One life hack to preserving the trim rams from leaking is to make double damn sure there is no contamination on the trim ram with some light sanding. If there is it will eat the seals and those stupid things are expensive af.

Oh ya, the trim senders are epic garbage and will always be incorrect so I just ignore it now.

Sounds like major junk is done with the vortec. The injectors if they are original will cause you grief but there are guys out there who sell them. It's a pita to find the right flow injectors. You may want to pop them out and have them flow tested and cleaned. I waited too long and it was painful finding proper replacements.

When the fuel cell goes kaput, just Google mancave mechanic and order new cells from Troy, don't waste time with volvo.

One note, with volvo parts you get 2 year warranty when an AD does the install. 1 year when us hacks do it, and volvo loves to say no...

Have Inlet pull oil and gear oil samples to have them sent out as part of your dd. Quick return and worth it to see how that machinery is running. You could pull compression but you'll know when she's running if it's effed.

One other thing I'd ask about is if / when the fuel tank has ever been cleaned / polished? If not, I would have that done the second you take delivery, as at that age the tanks should be inspected and cleaned regardless of the filter setup. Sending out a fuel sample with the engine and drive samples will tell you if there's water in there too.

I noticed that 5.7 has individual belts and not a single serpentine belt? Take a small level and make sure the belts are aligned correctly and if not, you'll need to adjust the pulleys or confirm the brackets aren't bent.

Just keep extra filters for fuel, belts and impeller with you on board, plus a quick set of tools and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
Soooooo, No go on the sea sport for me, the fuel tank is leaking, will be a tough sell for buddy. Looks like there might be a significant price drop coming on this boat if anyone is interested in a bit of a project.

I did however go for a quick sea trial on the 27 podded pursuit,
Mmm mmm mmm 😍😍😍
That boat flys!
Those motors sound so smooth
How would this one compare? Looks like the price was dropped $35k recently..

339405336_6271222539595151_7236314763812592972_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/608949927752223/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:959ca483-8860-4af5-9747-2d195064e031

The podded pursuit had the fuel, water and holding tanks done 5 years ago, the same time it was podded.

Don't know a thing about Silverton boats.. But with 300hrs?? Those engines alone with the drives are worth $100k..

Just curious where they plastic or aluminum? I have plastic ones that looked in good shape when I rebuilt. Just wondering if it’s something I need to keep an eye on
Aluminum, ya I seen your tanks on your thread, they look nice. I was told if the top of the tank looks like crap, the bottom is worse… but on this boat the give away was the slight smell of gas, which I missed the first time

Don't know a thing about Silverton boats.. But with 300hrs?? Those engines alone with the drives are worth $100k..
Man…. I’m not sure how much I want to dig around a 40 year boat

I love that boat. Are you “persuing” it?!
I’m thinking about it, the wife approves, and I can throw it on my trailer. It’s priced a bit high for a boat with almost 20 year old motors but they sound soooo nice. No kicker and downrigger mounts, he’s been trolling on the mains, 1200 hours doesn’t seem much.

Back