2nd Annual SFBC Derby

Seems like dollars getting in the way of sense with regards to the SVIAC derby posting. Takes me back to page 10 of the 2013 SFBC...or was it SVIAC Banana Challange....I can't remember. lol

I Look forward to the Nanaimo event. It seems to lack the financial component of other derbys. A place for a group of guys and gals to go out and have fun without the burden of fundraising and covering a bunch of extra costs. I am all for the Newcastle Island location. Seems like a great place with some history.
A winner take all derby would be fun. A bare bones derby with a single winner taking the entry fee pot. If there are sponsor donated prices, make them a door prize where anyone can win. Lastly....I'd say make it a C&R Derby. I will even offer myself and boat to be a measurement official in lieu of putting my lines down. We are all for fish conservation (at least on the surface) so I don't see a need for an SFBC derby to start killing derby fish.

I am usually booked that weekend in Aug not yet though so will keep an eye on this. BC weekend is a pretty crazy weekend here in Comox Valley, nautical days, filberg weekend, fireworks all that action.

May is far better in my opinion for Nanaimo. Probably the best fishing. the two Vancouver derbies very few people from the Island attend or have even heard about them. The silva bay derby is a long run to weigh in a fish if its blowing and your fishing the fingers or neck point so a lot of people that I have talked to don't enter. I have only bought tickets I think twice for that reason myself since the early 90s. Lots of people go west for july and august also. But it sure would be nice to see an annual derby get going in Nanaimo.

Last edited by a moderator:
One piece of advice: stay clear of the time period mid July to end of August. Many new derbies have tried to break into this prime time and failed. It's too busy then. Find a niche time in the shoulder season when everyone is hungry for action. And facilities will be hungry for business then too.

The derby on Okanagan lake is all done by length. The day before they hand out the official rulers, you then text or email the pic of your fish on the ruler. Works very well, they also text and email updates every hour. Fish are measured nose to fork of the tail.

I have removed a few posts that were revisiting the confusion created when the possibility of a "satellite" location came up. This has been clarified by FishWhisperer and does not need to be re-visited. Please stay on topic and offer your suggestions in a positive and meaningful way so this thread can stay on track. The intent of this derby is for members to come together and swap stories, have a few beers and generally enjoy what the fishing community is all about, as Finished Business pointed out in an earlier post. Let's not take the fun out of it with negative attacks and comments!

Cheers,

Brian

Ok I have to end the misery.
I coulda, shoulda called it 2 weeks ago but I just had to try a little harder, out of the box, a different route...
After the second volunteer had gracefully bowed out due to political pressure, I shoulda called it then. And the people that haven't bowed out, I'll save you the statement.
There is one small window to host the derby in Nanaimo, in August. Of which I still have not had a confirmation.
The consensus is for May. I cannot make it happen in May, nor do any volunteers want to.
I've toiled over this quite extensively, spent many hours trying to get a game plan that doesn't conflict with ...everyone.
As I see it, it's impossible to host a successful fishing derby that would benefit charities or projects of Sportfishing BC Braggart's Derby.
If someone can come up with a solution, please step up to the plate, I will back you up 100%.
If someone has ideas elsewhere, I'm here to assist in any way that I can. That's all I can offer guys. I'm spent on Nanaimo.
I'm sorry, I truly gave this my all.
Send me a PM.

Bear Cove Cottages and the town of Port Hardy would love to host this derby. We have some great organizations and hatcheries up here that would be more than happy to be a part of this type of event.

Port Hardy has everything needed to host a fantastic derby, spectacular fishing, amazing accommodations, fish processing facilities if needed, ice, tackle, bait, cold beers and lots of shovels for all the BS!

What more do a bunch of fisherman need?

Just throwing it out there to get things started.

Would be more than happy to get the ball rolling on this and pretty sure I could get lots of hands on deck to help out.

Let's do it!

I would go to Port Hardy for a little derby! Thanks for the effort Nanaimo guys you definitely can't make everyone happy unfortunately Politics always get in the way .

There are more places on the Island that could host this. Thanks for trying FW.

Thanks for the effort in trying to make it happen in Nanaimo FW.. we know you really gave it your all to bad it didn't work out bud.:p you going to fish the loggers derby?

Sorry guys, way past my window for this year. My spring is packed with Sportsman shows promoting the resort, and some family travel. Hosting my 40th in Del Mar CA March 22nd, spending almost a month down there. All are welcome if you are in the area, PM me for details.

Maybe revisit next year.

Cheers,

Sorry guys, way past my window for this year. My spring is packed with Sportsman shows promoting the resort, and some family travel. Hosting my 40th in Del Mar CA March 22nd, spending almost a month down there. All are welcome if you are in the area, PM me for details.

Maybe revisit next year.

Cheers,

I would have definately dropped by if we were driving back home

Sad that nothing is being planned for this derby. It's not too late for a group of fella's to tackle this. It doesn't have to be a big, spectacular event. Just make it a fun event.

There was a lot of stoke for this derby when it was just a thought. Just find that stoke again if you need some motivation.

Back