2nd Annual SFBC Derby

...just to add to the update,
There have been several people that have offered assistance, thank you very much guys, I will need you.
What I truly need is someone to step up and be my partner in this with 50/50 effort.
I can pull this off by delegating as much as possible but I would really like to be able to rely on someone to share in the decision making and organizing/networking.

It's easily do-able but as stated in the above post, politics is playing a large role in the Nanaimo area. Timing is pretty much everything right now.
Several pretty cool names have been sent in ;) thank you all for those, lmao. But the final decision on the name depends directly with the time as well.
Also, I've been in contact with pretty much everyone in the region for hosting (not a lot of options here) and have a few places that'll work just fine. But again, timing.
Sponsorship cannot be started until I have an actual planned derby to pimp out. Again, timing.
I'm a self-taught graphic artist. Banners, posters, etc have already been started. Just need the final "info" to add. I've built a lot of graphics and created documents already.

I'm on it guys. Promise. Timing is my roadblock right now. I also need a partner.

There have been several requests to hold the Nanaimo derby in May. Although the fishing is good in May, there are just too many derbies in the area at this time of year. All out of Silva Bay:
May 24-25 - North Van Fish & Game Derby
June 7 - 8 - Mainland Bobcat Derby
June 14 – 15 - Silva Bay Derby
Not only the extra pressure on the fish, but the fact that most people are only going to attend 1 or maybe 2 derbies in the area in that time frame. The next best time would be August as Nanaimo's harbour is a zoo of scheduled activities in July.

So, August fishing around Nanaimo is quite good with several over 30lbs hailed. Not to mention, a few hali's.
B.C. Day long weekend, August 2 - 4 would be the best bet. If not the 9th & 10th.
Now, after a heck of a lot of head scratchin', talking, meeting, reading, more head scratching, thinking "What have I got myself into?", I discovered that Nanaimo is void of facilities to host such an event ...really.
A weigh station is easy enough - Brechin, but where's everyone tying up? Anchoring? More importantly, where are we all meeting up to mingle, party, awards, etc?

The only option to host everything, everyone and every boat is ...Newcastle Island. To make this work I had to be a bit creative. It will work great for those who stay on their boats or enjoy tent camping as we will have our own private area near the ramp and weigh station on Newcastle Island.
Several hotels are a 5 minute trip across the harbour, with free boat taxi service available to all SFBC Derby participants. 5:00 am to midnight.
The draw back is the people that want to bring their RV's and set up shop right at the derby. With advanced notice I could arrange facilities as near as possible.
This is the only option I can come up with for the Nanaimo area.

From what I understand, Pedder Bay is "Optimus Maximus" for fishing derbies. One suggestion sent in:
"Why not run it out of Pedder Bay again this year and add Nanaimo as a satellite and then next year look at adding Campbell River or West Vancouver and so on each year going forward. Give everyone a chance to participate without having to travel far. Just a thought."

So now I need your input... does Newcastle Island in August work?

I will be working with SIVAC and hopefully this site to hold the 2nd Banana Challenge on the Father's Day weekend. Pedder Bay has already given me an enthusiastic yes to be our host once again and will also sponsor us with a nice prize as well this year. I just wanted to give you that heads up so there is no date conflict. Our group will also be looking for a hand with certain organizing and weekend of tasks.

Early/Mid May seemed like a far better time.

I'm on WCVI July/Aug.

Had planned to stay on the boat, so that's not an issue.

Your box is full, so PMs not possible this morning.

Well IF the sockeye runs is what they are talking about Aug. should be a great time to target them. :)

If it was me I'd just give it to the south island guys. Seems like they already have plans to host the 2nd Derby.

Hijacked I'd say......

Ha ha...no hijacking. This will be a SIVAC event this time around. The Nanaimo group will be picking a new name and doing their derby their way. It would be foolish to just let what was already achieved here last year to fill a void on the Father's Day weekend die after only one year.

I will be working with SIVAC and hopefully this site to hold the 2nd Banana Challenge on the Father's Day weekend. Pedder Bay has already given me an enthusiastic yes to be our host once again and will also sponsor us with a nice prize as well this year. I just wanted to give you that heads up so there is no date conflict. Our group will also be looking for a hand with certain organizing and weekend of tasks.

So just so im clear, you start a thread asking someone and somewhere to host the 2nd annual derby. A guy goes out of his way, works his butt off to figure all this out, than after a month of hammering out the details, you are gonna throw the second annual derby your self, and now make this one totally separate?

Heres your original post just in case im missing something.
I think it is time to put a search out there for the town and an organizing group that would like to put on and host the next derby. The original concept was for this derby to move around the Island or province each year, giving everyone a chance to host in their home waters. The 2013 version named the "SFBC Banana Challenge" went well for the first year and I think all involved would like to see this grown into something bigger and better. So this is a call to all interested parties to action. Lets hear from you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vancouver fireworks on July 30 and August 2, just so you know.

So just so im clear, you start a thread asking someone and somewhere to host the 2nd annual derby. A guy goes out of his way, works his butt off to figure all this out, than after a month of hammering out the details, you are gonna throw the second annual derby your self, and now make this one totally separate?

I coulden't agree more.

When the question came up who would like to do the derby this year a guy from north island volunteered this made a few people pipe up 'its to far'. And with the amount of people it would get might not be viable. A few members suggested Naniamo and said it wasn't fair Vic already had it and somewhere else should get a chance. FW said if Naniamo people wanted he would run it for them there.
Many people already have the derbies that they travel for but most, people can't do multiple travelling trips a year and this derby might not take priory over one they have been doing for 5 plus yrs.
I can see if you live somewhere with shity fishing (and want to go where fishing is good) and have a boat that is easy to tow and you can get holidays easy from work and money for gas and ferrys that would make the trip there. The majority of people in derby last year was from the city it was held in and it probably will be the same this year. We still have all the people here who don't have the criteria to make the trip and have a empty main fishing weekend with a great cause needing funding and people willing to put there time and effort in. I don't see a problem.

Well said. Brutal. But not surprising...

Was about to post may come down to nanaimo for it in may.

Very pleased to hear SVIAC will be running a second annual derby. This has nothing to do with the SFBC derby and probably shouldn't have been posted here.

SFBC derby is in the works in nanaimo for 2014.

Banana challenge is a SVIAC derby run out of victoria it happened to also be the 1st SFBC derby but that doesn't mean the banana challenge has to die.

Here's to hoping nanaimo puts on a great event and if its as successful (fun) as the banana challenge then maybe nanaimo will want to make their derby an annual event too.

Well at least Fish Stalker gets it. Different derby, different group running it, the only thing the same is the weekend which has been left vacant by the Juan De Fuca Derby a couple years ago. How simple can I make this?...it is will NOT a SFBC derby, that is already taking place this year in Nanaimo. I could save myself and others a whole lot of work and time if everyone just wants to give me $10,000 as a donation to SVIAC! Then we won't need a derby to help fund the work we are doing on your behalf. Believe me that would much better!!!

GDW only posted here because FW had mentioned maybe having the derby out of Pedder Bay with Nanaimo being a satellite location as one of their options. Just wanted to give him an early as possible heads up to save a conflict, which is what we went through twice last year....and that is a pain especially once you have it in print.

nobody's flaming you for organizing a derby to raise money for the SVIAC, but in reading the post that started this thread it's pretty easy to see where the reactions are coming from.

Now hopefully back on track. If the derby is in August or on any long weekend I will not be attending.

Thanks for all your effort so far FW. A derby on Newcastle would be a pretty unique event, and if the timing was right I'd be there.

nobody's flaming you for organizing a derby to raise money for the SVIAC, but in reading the post that started this thread it's pretty easy to see where the reactions are coming from..

Well said. I think it was the post in this thread that made it seem that way. Making money for any cause sportfishing is awesome!!!

...let's slow the roll a bit guys :) these derbies are a great "meet n' greet" to forum members as well as raising funds for great causes as Profisher stated, and hopefully we are able to continue this trend.
We must first put consideration to fish stocks before we send a group of, I'm assuming, pretty damn good fisher-people to drag hooks in front of. Putting extra pressure on that body of fish in May and June is not an idea I am comfortable with.
Also, as I stated before, there are just too many derbies in the area in that time frame and competing for patronage with other well established activities would be counter productive to a new derby being a successful, fund raising event.
August will be the only date. But as alberniefisher and a couple others have stated, there are many established derbies/events already scheduled in August as well.
Don't take this as a statement of bailing-out. I'm not at all. I'm truly trying to figure out a way to keep this going. It's a great idea to spread it out but I'm a little unsure if the present structure of transferring the location from year to year is workable.
Let's say Campbell River or West Van or wherever hosts next year. I think they too will run into obstacles such as I when picking a date that doesn't conflict with already scheduled events.
My 2 bits? ...I think the SFBC Braggarts Derby should have a said date. Same weekend every year. This is OUR derby date. If a "group" from some town/city would like to host, then they have a year to prepare and submit a proposal to SFBC Admin.
As it is, there is just too many variables. This would also have saved us a few weeks (especially thru Xmas) of me grinding for info to ultimately find out that, at best, it will be quite difficult to host a successful, fund raising derby in Nanaimo. The facilities just aren't readily available.
Newcastle Island is the only option and from some of the messages sent in, it isn't an idea well received, especially in August.
We can't have a pissing contest between us over this. Let's just learn from this and continue to take the high ground.
Protecting this resource thru awareness and conservation and raising funds for worthy causes is the high ground. Let's put our heads together and figure it out.

One other suggestion was the satellite derbies. Have the Braggart's Derby at Pedder Bay every year then have a town (satellite) challenge on the same weekend for biggest fish, smallest fish, ugliest fish, best decorated boat, whatever... Have a specific trophy that goes to the winning town/city for Bragging Rights! Hence, the SFBC Braggart's Derby. Otherwise the trophy stays at Pedder Bay Marina. And let's face it, the Banana Challenge is a brilliant name. It's the "Challenge" part that works with the satellite idea. Who dares challenge??
Same thing tho, a group submits a proposal to Admin.

No matter what, I'm still in... let's figure it out boys :)

Back