Is Esq Anglers always this big of gongshow in the afternoons with dog walkers and lookie-loos?

Is Esq Anglers always this big of gongshow in the afternoons with dog walkers and lookie-loos?
Saturday and Sundays are the busiest.

. . . and inconsiderate big rigs that block that block access to a big chunk of the parking lot. Most people with boats are pretty good though, I just find it challenging to back my trailer when I there's all those meat pylons moving in and out of my mirrors. Better than certain free boat launches where the yakkers treat the ramp like a beach.

Couple of good fishermen I know rubbed Constance down pretty well yesterday. Decent action, but all 5 pounders.
Who knows what today might bring. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Quick fish late morning out of Flemming beach for salmon. Such a difference from yesterdays monsoon. Trolled out towards and past the anchored freighter and just past got a powerful strike. Great scrap out of a 77cm clipped chinook. Bonk! I'm not throwing groceries away. Last line on my dance card.
Enjoyed the cruise back in. Cleaned the fish and tucked it into the bow area of the boat. Through a jacket over it, an anchor and chain and went to get the trailer walking my old dog. Felt like a nice little excursion. . . . . . and then came along the little thief. Can be viewed at 12:29 on the Esquimalt webcam. Strong little buggers.
Is there a way to check the web cam footage from a week ago?

Dead sea out there for me today. Hoping to get my brother into a fish but no salmon, just a flounder and a couple of small lings. Started out near Albert head then gave the Harbour mouth an hour. No nothing.

Got Stizzla outa bed this am and put him to work on the back deck. He did good. Fish bite was early then pretty quiet but we got a couple hatch keepers released a nice wild and a tub of crabs. Downrigger failed so we stacked one side.

Attachments

• BA04EE95-A3DA-4D45-B013-91AB7A9A9BAD.jpeg
    BA04EE95-A3DA-4D45-B013-91AB7A9A9BAD.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 3745D3D9-44EA-4A03-AAFD-6EA80E927DD1.jpeg
    3745D3D9-44EA-4A03-AAFD-6EA80E927DD1.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 4FEA038B-294F-4498-8F99-2DD9AC8D22E5.jpeg
    4FEA038B-294F-4498-8F99-2DD9AC8D22E5.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 146
Went out 8:30 this AM, turned right after clearing Esquimalt Anglers and then left toward the ever present crab trap part way toward Albert Head. Pretty quiet, changed lures several times with no effect, About halfway toward Albert Head my fishing buddy got a nice bite and we landed a long but not heavy hatchery doe. A couple of hours later I picked up a small one and that was it for the day. Back at the dock there was a nice catch of Halibut being butchered, apparently caught at the beginning of the change in the 'mud hole' area west of Constance

Got Stizzla outa bed this am and put him to work on the back deck. He did good. Fish bite was early then pretty quiet but we got a couple hatch keepers released a nice wild and a tub of crabs. Downrigger failed so we stacked one side.
How many downrigger leads were sacrificed ?

Ha, the lead balls were spared but not from lack of trying.
Example: 140 ft of water 200ft on the rigger. JK.
With only one rigger working our chances of losing a ball were reduced but I’m thinking so we’re our chances of catching fish. The upper rod of the stack never got a hit.
We were mostly in sandy bottom areas so bump and up a few ft. It was good to see him on a rod again
and hopefully he’ll get another DE soon.

This looks like a solid report.
In reality, it was so much more to me…

Now that I have been boatless for so long, I have been losing my passion for fishing. Having a bud like @Original, who takes me out and doesn’t ask for a thing, lets me fight all the fish, gives me all the catch and even some of his stash of the best freaking smoked salmon and halibut from his freezer, on an amazingly flat calm, sunny day, while cracking jokes, listening to great tunes, and learning a lot by a true student of fishing has completely rekindled that fire! The tug is the drug and there were a couple of beautifully stubborn fish in the mix.

Thanks buddy!
The fish were caught near the esquimalt launch in 110-140’ with derby winner flasher and chartreuse phat e.
The crab spot shall remain a secret for the rest of my life. There were over 8 keepers in the one trap we set.

IMG_2052.jpeg

Did the lazy Oak Bay thing today. Headed out NE of Chatham Isl. to the pinnacles. Dropped a Fairways Sardine down to the bottom, put my feet up and relaxed in the calm and sunshine. Drifted Southwest along the Discovery Group and managed to pick up a nice little chicken halibut. Motored around S. Discovery and the Chain Islands stopping for a few jigs, but was unable to find any salmon, just a few greenling and baby lingcod.

Crab traps at Willows were loaded, unfortunately not a decent sized crap out of two dozen. Maybe big crabs don't appreciate my wife's cooking. At least I got rid of last nights turkey carcass.

Did the lazy Oak Bay thing today. Headed out NE of Chatham Isl. to the pinnacles. Dropped a Fairways Sardine down to the bottom, put my feet up and relaxed in the calm and sunshine. Drifted Southwest along the Discovery Group and managed to pick up a nice little chicken halibut. Motored around S. Discovery and the Chain Islands stopping for a few jigs, but was unable to find any salmon, just a few greenling and baby lingcod.

Crab traps at Willows were loaded, unfortunately not a decent sized crap out of two dozen. Maybe big crabs don't appreciate my wife's cooking. At least I got rid of last nights turkey carcass.
That's amazing! I never thought of measuring the size of their crap.

Anchored for halibut this morning prior to the wind coming up. Only managed to get one small halibut that I was going to release . My brand new Gibbs Spreader bar did it for me when the clip snapped. First time in the water and lesson learned, replace the clip on the leader side. Good thing it was only a small fish or I would be really choked. Anyone else finding the spreader coast lock style clips are crap? What are you replacing them with.

Anchored for halibut this morning prior to the wind coming up. Only managed to get one small halibut that I was going to release . My brand new Gibbs Spreader bar did it for me when the clip snapped. First time in the water and lesson learned, replace the clip on the leader side. Good thing it was only a small fish or I would be really choked. Anyone else finding the spreader coast lock style clips are crap? What are you replacing them with.
Just don’t run spreaders , swivel with clip slider on main line, way better

Back