I’m still a rookie but trying to read the water movements of tides and currents in this area off esq between the Inner harbour and Esq harbour. Just because the tide and currents are ebbing to the West doesn’t mean the water is moving that direction. We got our bites heading East with the moving water as it swirls around in this area. We’re still fishing the bottom and in the early am around the 100ft depth then as the day goes we’ll move to 120 then 135 etc. looking for the bait and fish. I have a beaten up 2inch herring aid spoon that just keeps catching them, I call it m French fry. That fat guy had 2 big smelts in its full belly but room for one more little fry. The hootchie and an old school plastic spoon kinda like an Apex lure worked as well.
Get yer butt over here and let’s go for a float
I'm hoping to get down there for the Galiano derby. Fished close by last year and it's such a cool area. Can't wait

When you look at the Current Tables you will see that the ebb and flood tides mean nothing in certain areas. With all the islands and points around the south coast huge back eddies are greated, often times that is where the bait and fish are.
are you doing any fishing?

Fished 3 hours on Saturday, mid morning, on OB flats. Landed a fiesty 13 lb hatchery spring. 4 other boats out and saw one other fish caught.

= Kings = Blackmouth…. Why so many names lol

Apparently it doesn't stop there:
The Chinook salmon /ʃɪˈnʊk/ (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) is the largest and most valuable species of Pacific salmon.[2] Its common name is derived from the Chinookan peoples. Other vernacular names for the species include king salmon, Quinnat salmon, Tsumen, spring salmon, chrome hog, Blackmouth, and Tyee salmon.

I have to admit - "Chrome Hog" sounds pretty bad a$$

= Kings = Blackmouth…. Why so many names lol
King is the nickname for a mature Chinook Salmon. Blackmouth is the nickname for an immature chinook . Spring is a nickname for a Chinook but can be confusing because not all Chinook are "Springers" ... simple right? (but spring isn't always a springer)

Tyee is a native word for chief, but is used for a chinook over 30 lbs. "Smiley" is a commercial fisherman's term for chinook over a certain weight grade bring more money for pound. . . . and fishing has been decent for chinooks in Victoria to Oak Bay area's for those lucky enough to get out in the windows of fair weather.

Depending if you have aluminum or Fibreglass? and how big your boat and draft is. I would say for a fibreglass boat 1m under 18ft to be safe. Cattle point is really bad less than 0.8m. Anything over 18ft. I would say at least 0.8m if you have Aluminum at cattle. Cattle is the worst on low tides. Sidney and Fleming has docks and ramps. Sidney is the best for low tides, Fleming is good as well. but its gets muddy when its really low.

Back