2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One good under sized at the bell on the first pass. Slow since. Weather looks lumpy so staying local. Don’t need a cold shower that bad
What depth contours are you following? I was a bit shallow than usual yesterday and had no luck, but someone else from our group was out in the 190 to 200‘ contours and had a good day.

What depth contours are you following? I was a bit shallow than usual yesterday and had no luck, but someone else from our group was out in the 190 to 200‘ contours and had a good day.

120-160’ but only 2 unders and a flounder

Managed to get one yesterday right off Cowan Point in tight 65 cm 140 on the rigger white hoochie
Damn that doesn’t look like a feeder. Could be the lighting but that looks like a late Fraser fish based on the color. Interesting!

Anyone brave that 20 knot Howe Sound outflow today? As soon as we were west of Pt. Atkinson it got super sh*tty immediately

I’ve been keeping these flounder recently , gut em , scale them out , score both sides flesh , dust in seasoned flour and drop in the hot grease . Absolutely fantastic , alittle ponzu and some scallions and bobs your uncle
They’re for sure tasty, but I didn’t feel like keeping just one measly flounder that day lol. They make great fish tacos too!

Seals were the story today. Sealed 3 times in two different spots which were all good fish. A few ushers in the mix but just could get away from the whiskers. Hope others had some better luck!
They know a victim when they see one

I pre soak prawn pellets is the secret sauce(prawn oil). Then freeze them. That way the oil doesn't get all over your boat and doesn't wash away during the drop. I go for 240ft. There are tons of spots out by passage. The tricky thing about passage is the weather changes fast and retrieval can look different then the drop. Also if youre to far out towards the middle between Passage and pt Atkinson a log boom might relocate your trap. Easier prawning is up the sound around Lions bay.
Waterfall is a good spot, but Tunstall is shallower, so Easier to bottom fish in my opinion.
Oh it’s ok to ask about specific prawn spots, you probably won’t get a specific answer though 🙃 best spot I have locally is only 200’ deep. Study the charts & look for the valleys on the ocean floor. Pre soak your pellets in water (and some herring oil ideally) for a couple hours before you drop traps so they start sending off a scent trail as soon as you drop them. I throw in a cage of chopped up herring & fish guts in each trap also.
Funny I wasn’t sure where waterfall was until last time out but I just kinda found it based on same description as Blue Hewes described. All part of the fun, figuring it all out. Good luck
The presoak is a great idea, I was surprised how long pellets last (thankfully as they aren’t cheap) and that it seemed the traps got better after a few days when I was out in the summer.
How’s this pre-soak with prawn oil and feeeze work- just fill bait bucket half to 2/3, mix around with prawn or herring oil and maybe add a bit of water - then into a ziplock and the freezer?

What actually happens, is I put my kid to bed at 7:30. But I end up falling asleep with her. Then I'm up from 2-6 and I eventually fall asleep on the couch watching bbq shows. Then my wife smacks me in the head at 8 and tells me to get the hell up and be productive. It's really not as cool as a night at the Roxy. That place still exists???
I’m impressed that the mother of your children is keeping you productive 😂

Seen big old sea lion move into grace today so watch out... if he decides to snack, as he'll empty a reel in no time ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back