2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boys had a day off school so took them out into the beautiful weather for some outdoors education.

Fished Tunstall and got one just under at 180’. Didn’t see a ton of bait except out deep and it felt like the current of the rising tide was ripping through pretty strong.

Crossed Collingwood Channel to the NW and did a tack on the 180’ contour off Mickey and Ragged islands and got a double just outside the Fishing Restricted zone. One we got to the boat, one we lost our gear to a seal. Descended a rock fish.

Nipped over to Waterfall and lost a nice fish. Headed for home and baseball / hockey practice. Pretty great winter day.

IMG_7435.jpeg

In at the cabin near roberts creek and it is a stunning day flat calm out on the straits. Go get em!

Just home from the coast and saw probably 8 boats off graceI and a bunch more off towards Tunstall and the waterfall. What I'd like to know is if the guy trolling the channel between Gambier and Boyer in the red was nailing them? Cool spot if so!

Last edited:
This (I’m thinking lamprey) was attached to a nice 62.5 cm spring I got in tunstall yesterday. I’ve never seen this before. It was 12” long and as big as my index finger round. Has anyone else had this on there fish. I let them both go.

Attachments

• IMG_5807.jpeg
    IMG_5807.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 92
I got out today. It was really foggy leaving the Harbour. I made it to defense islands/Puerto. A couple small salmon. About 40-50 cm. On koho killers. The good news was, I got the haul of my lifetime of prawns. Bad news was i was solo. So tossed back over 100. Probably 250-300 in two traps. Last year same spot didn't provide nearly as many.

Amazing day in howe sound today!
After navigating through the pea soup at 10knots from port moody to english bay, the fog finally lifted and we were able to motor to our destination. Lines down at 930, and after reviewing my gopro footage, we had 6 fish in the boat in less than 10 mins, with 2 keeper in the mix. The sun came out and it became warm, and the water was glassy. Beauty winter day!
Fished a total of 3 hours, 4 keepers, a lot of unders. Herring aid spoon was our ticket today as it was outfishing the white hootchie about 3:1.
160-190 on the downrigger in about 200-230ft of water.fish1.jpg

After navigating through the pea soup at 10knots from port moody to english bay, the fog finally lifted and we were able to motor to our destination. Lines down at 930, and after reviewing my gopro footage, we had 6 fish in the boat in less than 10 mins, with 2 keeper in the mix. The sun came out and it became warm, and the water was glassy. Beauty winter day!
Fished a total of 3 hours, 4 keepers, a lot of unders. Herring aid spoon was our ticket today as it was outfishing the white hootchie about 3:1.
160-190 on the downrigger in about 200-230ft of water.View attachment 100101
Lots of reports of great fishing today. Love it.

Awesome fish. Where did you guys drop? We tried Hutt but no bites. Then a rip over to Grace and finally some action. Two nice springs in about 220 FOW and 195 on the rigger. White hootchie and flasher was the ticket today. No bites on the anchovy line. Saw a bunch of boats off south Bowen today but not sure if anyone is catching out there. Maybe 5 boats at Tunstall as well. Great day out.

We dropped prawns traps off bowen and headed straight to tunstall saturday afternoon. No action so moved up to Hutt. Eventually hooked into 2 unders and that was it. Camped out for the night and dropped the lines again in the morning off south Bowen. Just one under to show for the efforts.

All action was on the irish cream spoon and scraping the bottom.

Okay haul of prawns but our crab traps had fresh sign of poaching :(

We dropped prawns traps off bowen and headed straight to tunstall saturday afternoon. No action so moved up to Hutt. Eventually hooked into 2 unders and that was it. Camped out for the night and dropped the lines again in the morning off south Bowen. Just one under to show for the efforts.

All action was on the irish cream spoon and scraping the bottom.

Okay haul of prawns but our crab traps had fresh sign of poaching :(
Sounds like a good fishing trip. Slept on the boat? Or camped out on land? Either way. Some extra adventure!

Looks like a couple of clipped ones in the mix. Nice work!

Fished the North arm to the bell yesterday out deeper, 150-250 on the riggers with a variety of gear without any hits even though I was marking bait and fish. Tried again today from 10 to 1pm and landed two unders and an 8lb hatchery red. All the action was at 140 on the riggers near bottom on a hoochie.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 113
Can anyone see out on the water? Had a buddy have to turn around on the way across this morning. Jericho cam doesn't look too bad closer to shore, but can't really tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back