2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Howe Sound today from 10 to 12:30, Prawning was not great only got 90 total in 8 traps.
Winter spring fishing was great until 11:30 they seemed to die down.
4 keeper, 3 unders size. the biggest was 15 lbs. Blackflasher was top rod with white hoochie off the bottom 160 to 200ft water. Guide was out fishing us with a green flasher and a red one. did not see his lure,

Attachments

• 20231113_125304.jpg
    20231113_125304.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 182
Really helpful information. Sounds like Hutt or Grace is the place to be if you are looking for a keeper. Heading out tomorrow (conditions too good to pass up) and will send an update.

Just wondering though if anyone has had any action around Tunstall Bay. Last report I heard didn’t sound particularly fishy.

Just wondering though if anyone has had any action around Tunstall Bay. Last report I heard didn’t sound particularly fishy.
You could troll Tunstall, hit the waterfall and on to Hutt, 3 places that usually produce in the winter. I will be at Hutt tomorrow, weather and fishing apps suggest a great day, tide change not too early. Leaving from False Creek, will head to Hutt first.

ps...I have been at Tunstall on winter days where the protection from the elements makes it a warm day when the sun is out.

Last edited:
Fished Howe Sound today from 10 to 12:30, Prawning was not great only got 90 total in 8 traps.
Winter spring fishing was great until 11:30 they seemed to die down.
4 keeper, 3 unders size. the biggest was 15 lbs. Blackflasher was top rod with white hoochie off the bottom 160 to 200ft water. Guide was out fishing us with a green flasher and a red one. did not see his lure,
nice where did u fish?

Took the day off work for a troll. The weather report looked good so we were surprised when we ran into 3-4 rollers when we hit Point Atkinson. Dropped the prawns traps anyway And then headed into Howe Sound from around the bottom of Bowen. Rollers settled down by the time we hit Seymour Bay. Got to Cowans and thought about dropping lines but saw a huge sea lion so we kept the throttle down and made the turn to Roger Curtis And it was flat calm. Saw 1 guide boat at Tunstal and kept going until the mile markers. Dropped lines at the western side with 4 other boats. We worked 6 inch anchovies on 1 side and gear on the other. Started with 3 hits that didn’t stay on very long. All of a sudden there were 8 boats working the west end so we decided to move away from the pack and worked the eastern end. Slow steady action of shakers and unders for a few hours staying close to bottom in all depths of 72 to 200. Finally at 1:00 big hit off the clip in 140 FOW. 15 runs later a 80x44cm jackpot came over the rail. We dropped the lines again and hook up again. Unfortunately a seal grabbed this one and we fought it for 15 minutes until we got our gear back. We were out of bait so we pulled lines to grab our traps. On the way we saw a huge humpback and her calf. Traps came up with 100 prawns. 70 were males. Overall gear got hits but bait was more productive. Most active combo was an army truck big shooter flasher with a Krippled K ocean talker teaser head. The hatchery keeper hit a lemon lime flasher with a chartreuse green tiger JDF teaser. Excellent day on the water.
IMG_0683.jpegIMG_0711.jpegIMG_0710.jpeg

Took advantage of the light winds and sunny skies and got out for the first time in a bit. Started 9:30am at Hutt, circled around it once and hit a little flurry between Hutt & Bowen: a couple unders, couple misses, and landed a barely keeper. Died down after that. White hoochie and black flasher was the ticket for the action. No love on spoons. Headed to south Bowen for a couple hours, didn’t mark much and no hits. Back to the prawns for my solo limit and 3 keeper Dungy to boot. Nice little early winter hat trick, I’ll take it. IMG_4085.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4086.jpeg
    IMG_4086.jpeg
    833 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4087.jpeg
    IMG_4087.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4088.jpeg
    IMG_4088.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 133
Took the day off work for a troll. The weather report looked good so we were surprised when we ran into 3-4 rollers when we hit Point Atkinson. Dropped the prawns traps anyway And then headed into Howe Sound from around the bottom of Bowen. Rollers settled down by the time we hit Seymour Bay. Got to Cowans and thought about dropping lines but saw a huge sea lion so we kept the throttle down and made the turn to Roger Curtis And it was flat calm. Saw 1 guide boat at Tunstal and kept going until the mile markers. Dropped lines at the western side with 4 other boats. We worked 6 inch anchovies on 1 side and gear on the other. Started with 3 hits that didn’t stay on very long. All of a sudden there were 8 boats working the west end so we decided to move away from the pack and worked the eastern end. Slow steady action of shakers and unders for a few hours staying close to bottom in all depths of 72 to 200. Finally at 1:00 big hit off the clip in 140 FOW. 15 runs later a 80x44cm jackpot came over the rail. We dropped the lines again and hook up again. Unfortunately a seal grabbed this one and we fought it for 15 minutes until we got our gear back. We were out of bait so we pulled lines to grab our traps. On the way we saw a huge humpback and her calf. Traps came up with 100 prawns. 70 were males. Overall gear got hits but bait was more productive. Most active combo was an army truck big shooter flasher with a Krippled K ocean talker teaser head. The hatchery keeper hit a lemon lime flasher with a chartreuse green tiger JDF teaser. Excellent day on the water.
View attachment 99816View attachment 99817View attachment 99818
thats awesome was your spring a red spring?

You could troll Tunstall, hit the waterfall and on to Hutt, 3 places that usually produce in the winter. I will be at Hutt tomorrow, weather and fishing apps suggest a great day, tide change not too early. Leaving from False Creek, will head to Hutt first.

ps...I have been at Tunstall on winter days where the protection from the elements makes it a warm day when the sun is out.
Tunstall is awesome during winter! Other than a pesky seal that loves to lurk the area lol

We fought a seal on Friday for a nice salmon. He won the battle for the salmon but we got our tackle back and someone else’s flasher somehow. Was a 20 minute fight. Quite the experience.
Nice. My last tackle redemption battle was in weather conditions I probably shouldn’t have been in. Had to sit most of the battle but I prevailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back