2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolled the harbor 9-1 today. One hit on a white hoochie at 140 in 300' but lost it almost immediately. Some bait around pt Atkinson but pretty dead all around. We did see quite a few porpoises and they were just hanging out at the surface at times not moving, like they were sunbathing or something, seemed strange.

Just a quick question , probably a stupid one but I moved in August 2022 and was always wondering if they open the Sockeye fishing to you guys in area 29 , at any time in 2022 ?

Just a quick question , probably a stupid one but I moved in August 2022 and was always wondering if they open the Sockeye fishing to you guys in area 29 , at any time in 2022 ?
They did. They opened it maybe 3-5 days earlier for the commercial boats. There were lots around the day they started. We were catching them on chinook gear. Lots jumping. A couple days later they were gone. Then they opened for Rec fishermen the next day. I didn’t go out but based on the change in the previous 2 days it didn’t look promising. They were mostly gone up the river or into the commercial holds.

I was wondering where you went. I remember passing sand heads a few times and tons of jumpers, but wasn’t open for rec yet. Then we got a good couple days to have at them, I think I ended up with 4 in a couple outings. Pretty sad.

Tried some new prawn spots today and got 1 for my effort and sent the single soul back to where it came from . And 1 crab for about a 5 hour soak. Was a good day otherwise got the family out to gambier to see grandpa and cook some hot dogs over a fire . Beer time now

Caught bait off pt grey then Crossed this AM for the opener , 6 man limit in fairly short order , live sand dabs . One really nice fish that puked up a 6 lb ling . Rockfish were scarce , one big quillback. Crossing home was pretty damn snotty even in our 33 express. Saw one other boat fishing there briefly this morning .

Attachments

• 14E66B3B-555A-4B33-9B31-C7CBC3FFE8AC.jpeg
    14E66B3B-555A-4B33-9B31-C7CBC3FFE8AC.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 320
Caught bait off pt grey then Crossed this AM for the opener , 6 man limit in fairly short order , live sand dabs . One really nice fish that puked up a 6 lb ling . Rockfish were scarce , one big quillback. Crossing home was pretty damn snotty even in our 33 express. Saw one other boat fishing there briefly this morning .
She's preggers bro👍

We had one puke up something that big once, only it was way more decomposed. The most disgusting smell I've ever experienced. A few good headshakes sprayed it all over the place 🤮

It had a 6 lb ling sticking out of its gullet that it vomited up shortly after …. Lings spawn February /March , hence why our season opens up in may
Well that's a story to remember right there. 👍🎣

We filled some freezers today. I heard there was a sale on Lind cod today

Going out tomorrow with wife and son to try our luck at Lingcod fishing. Never targeted Lings before, I have some lures for jigging. Probably start with Polier pass area east side. If anyone wants to share other areas to try that would be much appreciated. What water depth should I be looking for, 50’ to 150’?

I was wondering where you went. I remember passing sand heads a few times and tons of jumpers, but wasn’t open for rec yet. Then we got a good couple days to have at them, I think I ended up with 4 in a couple outings. Pretty sad.
Hey Bud, Ya had to go where the fishing is hahaha, Sorry to hear you guys didn't get the opening you sporties deserve but you end up with a few for the canner and thats way better then a kick in the arse haha. Good Luck , Tight Lines and Stay Safe !!

Headed over to Gabriola / Entrance Isl. today. A little lumpy this morning and flattened out during the day.
Weather was awesome and the Ling fishing very good, including a triple header. Kept our 3 and released another 7 most of them over 65cm. Our biggest keeper was 88cm in great condition. Flat fall jigs and 6oz Lighthouse lures swim tails.

Dropped one prawn trap for 70 prawns and released some good salmon up to @ 16lbs? 130-250’ green plugs and hootchies.

Crab traps in English bay full of crabs. 16 keepers in two traps! Kept 12.

Weather catch and company made it one of those days you remember for sure!

Attachments

• 7DB1D9C7-87BA-4A69-BCE8-C6CC8632D7D0.jpeg
    7DB1D9C7-87BA-4A69-BCE8-C6CC8632D7D0.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 212
  • A1FF8251-261C-4593-8B4A-FD84AAB38AE5.jpeg
    A1FF8251-261C-4593-8B4A-FD84AAB38AE5.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Just got barbed by DFO at 28-6, Point Atkinson, luckily I’m a persistent pincher. All good. They asked me what I was fishing for, I repeated the regulations, three species are open, chinook are non-retention. That was all they wanted, and they left.

They did sneak out of Caulfield Cove, maybe tied to the dock.

Last edited:
Just got barbed by DFO at 28-6, Point Atkinson, luckily I’m a persistent pincher. All good. They asked me what I was fishing for, I repeated the regulations, three species are open, chinook are non-retention. That was all they wanted, and they left.

They did sneak out of Caulfield Cove, maybe tied to the dock.
strike is over so those fishery boys will be out there now my buddy got checked by dfo yesterday at porlier pass he was all good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back