2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be old news now, but the west boat ramp at Vanier Park appears to have been open for awhile. The dock is barricaded off though, you have to scoot around to the east ramp's dock for loading passengers etc. It appears the dock safety/engineering wise was the hold up, looks like they finally thought of opening up the ramp but blocking off the dock. They really could have done this years ago now.
20230521_090459[1].jpg

Last week had my prawn traps messed up by commercial ( I assume) people at Howe sound. Was able to retrieve two traps out of six, had to cut two lines for the four traps as they weren't retrievable.

Missed a few calls and then got some impolite text messages on my phone (including "stay away") to only later realize that it may have been about the traps. Called back to hear "wrong number" from a guy named "Tony".

On the positive side - at least those people aren't plain thieves.

Any advice on whether there is a good way to deal with situations like this? (Other than avoiding soaking the traps without supervision)

Last week had my prawn traps messed up by commercial ( I assume) people at Howe sound. Was able to retrieve two traps out of six, had to cut two lines for the four traps as they weren't retrievable.

Missed a few calls and then got some impolite text messages on my phone (including "stay away") to only later realize that it may have been about the traps. Called back to hear "wrong number" from a guy named "Tony".

Any advice on whether there is a good way to deal with situations like this? (Other than avoiding soaking the traps without supervision)
My traps go back into storage May 15th

Call fisheries on them if you want to and can prove anything or the rcmp and explain the situation. Otherwise put the traps away like the rest of us and let them make their living.

Nice. Great arm extension in the photo, well trained. Without giving away specifics, how close to Van and what general area (Bowen, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast)? Trolling bottom I presume?
Years of practice. Weighed in at 17 pounds though so I can’t complain.

Oh ya know some where in area 29…….

Kidding …. Trolling bottom near Bowen. But that’s All the info I’m giving ;)

not that it probably matters I think this is a once in a lifetime occurrence given where I was. Never heard of a hali caught anywhere nearer than gulf islands.

Years of practice. Weighed in at 17 pounds though so I can’t complain.

Oh ya know some where in area 29…….

Kidding …. Trolling bottom near Bowen. But that’s All the info I’m giving ;)

not that it probably matters I think this is a once in a lifetime occurrence given where I was. Never heard of a hali caught anywhere nearer than gulf islands.
Good sign nonetheless. Once upon a time there was a ton of halibut in English Bay and I'm sure Halibut Bank came by its name honestly. If we continue to have lots of bait around, the hali could come back. Have heard of the occasional hali caught near the Trail islands near Sechelt.

Good sign nonetheless. Once upon a time there was a ton of halibut in English Bay and I'm sure Halibut Bank came by its name honestly. If we continue to have lots of bait around, the hali could come back. Have heard of the occasional hali caught near the Trail islands near Sechelt.
Isn't it funny how that one clearly rare Halibut (locally) is legal to retain, yet the vast multitude of chinook are not?! No hate on the guy, its a legal fish I would have kept it also & I'm super jealous... but it's really silly when you look at it that way

Isn't it funny how that one clearly rare Halibut (locally) is legal to retain, yet the vast multitude of chinook are not?! No hate on the guy, its a legal fish I would have kept it also & I'm super jealous... but it's really silly when you look at it that way
That's because Halibut don't travel up river. Also doesn't have the money-making potential for some NGOs - at least not yet.

Coho update for June 1st is out.

29-1 thru 29-5, 2 clipped per day.

Chapman Creek gets clipped or wild.

Subject: FN0474-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Coho - Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 - Coho Management Measures - Effective June 1, 2023

Continuing conservation concerns for Interior Fraser Coho require that 2023
Coho management measures remain precautionary.

Unless otherwise specified below, the daily limit for Coho is two (2) per day, hatchery marked only, effective 00:01 hours June 1 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2023, in Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5. These measures exclude finfish closed areas, Rockfish Conservation Areas (RCAs), and areas closed to salmon fishing to protect Southern Resident Killer Whales. Please check the DFO website referenced at the bottom of this notice for more information.

Portion of Subarea 29-1 (Chapman Creek):

Effective 00:01 hours June 1, 2023, until 23:59 hours December 31, 2023, in that portion of Subarea 29-1 in front of Chapman Creek of Davis Bay and Trail Bay, inside a half mile ribbon boundary (1/2 mile offshore), commencing from one half mile true South of the Western boundary of Snickett Park (49 degrees 27.625'N and 123 degrees 45.903'W to one half mile true South of the marker at the entrance to the Port Stalashin Marina (49 degrees 25.875'N and 123 degrees 42.824'W), you may retain two (2) Coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked).

Correct?

Last edited:
That's because Halibut don't travel up river. Also doesn't have the money-making potential for some NGOs - at least not yet.
Halibut have a significantly smaller impact on their surrounding ecosystem. It’s odd we can retain here, but I would agree that salmon are of a greater concern

Agreed. We caught about 6 Chinook that day and hooked into another 4 or so yet couldn't keep one. 2 or 3 probably died anyways as they were bleeders. Its tragic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back