2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Rain City, I don't think we can get a better report than this. Thank you! You mentioned you've spooled your reel with braided line and mono top shot. That's exactly what I want to do with my reels this season. May I ask what brand and how heavy your braid and the top shot are? I was thinking to replace my mono with a 70lb braided line and 30lb top shot. Not sure if that is the right combo.
The guys at Pacific Angler did the braid when I got the reels serviced. I believe it's 60. My topshot is 40lb. Make sure your knot is tight and slim to avoid the dreaded chatter and hangup in the guides. Needs maintenence if you don't replace your mono a couple times a season. It makes a night and day difference when fishing deep. Clip pops no problemo

Last edited:
The guys at Pacific Angler did the braid when I got the reels serviced. I believe it's 60. My topshot is 40lb. Make sure your knot is tight and slim to avoid the dreaded chatter and hangup in the guides. Needs maintenence if you don't replace your mono a couple times a season. It's makes a night and day difference when fishing deep. Clip pops no problemo

Agreed. Mine were done by PNT, I think the same braid weight but 30 lb top shot. I had mine done as multi colored braid and although great (and looks sexy ;) ) when fishing deep with great sensitivity especially off WCVI the transition from braid to mono 'bump' is something you have to get used to.

Last edited:
Agreed. Mine was done by PNT, I think the same braid weight but 30 lb top shot. I had mine done as multi colored braid and although great (and looks sexy ;) ) when fishing deep with great sensitivity especially off WCVI the transition from braid to mono 'bump' is something you have to get used to.
Have you tried using a little roller at the tip end so the splice comes down the barrels smoothly? Would a small roller stand the action and load of a chinook?

Last edited:
Agreed. Mine was done by PNT, I think the same braid weight but 30 lb top shot. I had mine done as multi colored braid and although great (and looks sexy ;) ) when fishing deep with great sensitivity especially off WCVI the transition from braid to mono 'bump' is something you have to get used to.
I use the Albright knot & don't seem to have any "bump" (and I have tiny eyes at the end of my rods). I believe my braid is 50lb and I use 40' of 30lb top shot. Whoever mentioned changing the top shot twice a year--spot on. I lost a nice "take" last summer when I went to release and the mono snapped at the scotty release. Moving to 40lb would certainly help this issue (but may cause the "bump"! I fought moving to braid for years until I fished below 200 ft last season....mono just doesn't work at that depth. I've used the double uni with poor success...no issue with the Albright knot so far.

The guys at Pacific Angler did the braid when I got the reels serviced. I believe it's 60. My topshot is 40lb. Make sure your knot is tight and slim to avoid the dreaded chatter and hangup in the guides. Needs maintenence if you don't replace your mono a couple times a season. It makes a night and day difference when fishing deep. Clip pops no problemo
Sounds good, thanks so much!

Have you tried using a little roller at the tip end so the splice comes down the barrels smoothly? Would a small roller stand the action and load of a chinook?

Sorry to derail.....I know this is a reports thread but what is a "roller"?

I am just used to the bump (very small bump but noticeable) when you hit the braid to mono knot.

Sorry to derail.....I know this is a reports thread but what is a "roller"?

I am just used to the bump (very small bump but noticeable) when you hit the braid to mono knot.

One of numerous types of rollers for a rod tip. I wondered if this would lessen the knot transition.

B3A9E3A1-8555-4127-91BE-8B26C85206EB.jpeg

One of numerous types of rollers for a rod tip. I wondered if this would lessen the knot transition.

View attachment 88499
Be very careful with rollers and braid. As braid is very thin and can or may slip off the roller and get jammed up between the roller and bracket. If you add a roller ensure the clearance is zero.

Hey Rain City, I don't think we can get a better report than this. Thank you! You mentioned you've spooled your reel with braided line and mono top shot. That's exactly what I want to do with my reels this season. May I ask what brand and how heavy your braid and the top shot are? I was thinking to replace my mono with a 70lb braided line and 30lb top shot. Not sure if that is the right combo.
you can go with 50lb 8 strand and 25-30lb mono to shot i only use about 20-30' but others go longer personal choice ....

been running china brand braid for last 10 odd years no issues just use a good joining knot you know how to tie proper

Anyone who launches and retrieves from the west Vanier launch, please be advised that the fabulous Parks Board have put back the western concrete barricade - thus you can’t sneak your trailer by anymore and on to the ramp.

Whoever pulled the barricade away in the first place, we could use your help again!

Attachments

• Vanier.jpg
    Vanier.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 131
Anyone who launches and retrieves from the west Vanier launch, please be advised that the fabulous Parks Board have put back the western concrete barricade - thus you can’t sneak your trailer by anymore and on to the ramp.

Whoever pulled the barricade away in the first place, we could use your help again!
Why did they do that?

Any decent truck can move those for ya

x2 ... the braid and mono combo and the FG Knot has been flawless but tying the knot drives me to drink.
X3 - Love the FG knot, and agree, it's a PITA to tie. After a mishap on the boat, I'll just use a Modified Albright to get the gear back in the water quickly, then retie at the dock or home. For my preferred FG method, C/O the YouTube that shows holding the end of the braid in your mouth.

FD

X3 - Love the FG knot, and agree, it's a PITA to tie. After a mishap on the boat, I'll just use a Modified Albright to get the gear back in the water quickly, then retie at the dock or home. For my preferred FG method, C/O the YouTube that shows holding the end of the braid in your mouth.

FD
Same technique on the FG for me. I can almost now tie it with my eyes clear. I tried the pinky technique but found it hard to keep equal tension on the line.

Same technique on the FG for me. I can almost now tie it with my eyes clear. I tried the pinky technique but found it hard to keep equal tension on the line.
The one I tie requires no tension like that. I'll find the video. I just find with this one you absolutely HAVE to sinch down hard on both sides or it'll slip. I test them all now with a full force pull from the line wrapped around my foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back