2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went up to Defence islands today. We got into a few unders. Released one right at the 60-62 cm mark. I got a massive hit, popped off the clip and started dumping line. I set the hook, a little back and forth then all of sudden bang. The hook broke,.. left me with just a spoon and no hook. The spoon was a stocking stuffer. This was the second use. It was a little disappointing. Prawning was also disappointing I couldn't find any good spots that weren't taken.

We went up to Defence islands today. We got into a few unders. Released one right at the 60-62 cm mark. I got a massive hit, popped off the clip and started dumping line. I set the hook, a little back and forth then all of sudden bang. The hook broke,.. left me with just a spoon and no hook. The spoon was a stocking stuffer. This was the second use. It was a little disappointing. Prawning was also disappointing I couldn't find any good spots that weren't taken.
Sucks about the spoon most new spoons now a days the hooks are throw aways, besides ap spoons I switch them!
Also kudos for not dumping your traps all over crowded areas!

Good morning I am a new member and would like to share my first post.

Yesterday I launched at McDonald beach, fished Tunstall for a four hour shift with nothing to show for it.
I did see one good size fish landed and a couple small ones released. There were around ten boats there. Prawn fishing was good. We did manage to rope into a big one on the way back to the boat launch and released it at Milltown Marina.
the dog (twig) figured it was too big to keep. Lol
Stand up guy for taking the time to help!

Fished a few hours on Thursday in Howe Sound, from 10:30-1:30. Two passes at Tunstall Bay produced a good-sized pollock (a first!) that I proceeded to release and a solid winter chinook (~70 cm) that I proceeded to lose beside the boat when I forgot how the solo net operation works.

Moved on to Grace and got sweet nothing in two more passes, anywhere between 140'-220'. Didn't mark much bait either. 4 other boats came and went in my two passes so my sense is that folks were looking to find the fish.

Saw 6+ boats at the Bowen SW marker on my way back to port and they all seemed pretty tightly grouped so perhaps that was a better option?

Don't know, and that's the mystery that'll keep me coming back. Beauty day on the water.

Anyone notice that are a lot of prawn traps in the newly closed areas? It's hard to ignore them, but I don't want to ruin my limited time on the water driving around being a fish cop.

Anyone notice that are a lot of prawn traps in the newly closed areas? It's hard to ignore them, but I don't want to ruin my limited time on the water driving around being a fish cop.
Last weekend we saw three in the newly closed area. One purple ball. One blue ball and one with a tiny float. No labels on the purple and blue. We were going to drop in 29-3 just outside of 28-2. But then we noticed one site said they closed 28-2 due to heath reasons. We didn't want to risk it. But does anybody know the actual reason it's closed

The new float identification regs start soon, I believe the purple, blue ball etc. are still fine in that regard.

Last weekend we saw three in the newly closed area. One purple ball. One blue ball and one with a tiny float. No labels on the purple and blue. We were going to drop in 29-3 just outside of 28-2. But then we noticed one site said they closed 28-2 due to heath reasons. We didn't want to risk it. But does anybody know the actual reason it's closed
I dropped in 29-3. Didn't see any closure in the regs. Maybe it was specific to a harbor area?

Wed 2022-11-30 2:26 PM

Subject: FN1356-RECREATIONAL - Shellfish - Prawn and Shrimp - Areas 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 23, 25, 28 closures

Recreational prawn and shrimp harvesters are advised that the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from 00:01 January 1, 2023, to 23:59 March 31, 2023, in the following Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations:

Subareas 13-1, 13-12 to 13-17 (Quadra/Cortes Islands);
Subareas 15-1 to 15-3 (Powell River / Lund);
Subareas 16-1, 16-2, 16-5 to 16-10, 16-11, 16-16 to 16-18 (Malaspina Strait / lower Jervis Inlet and Sechelt / Salmon Inlets);
Subareas 17-5, 17-10 to 17-13, 17-15, 17-16, 17-18 (Nanaimo and portion Stuart Channel);
Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet);
Subareas 23-1 to 23-4 (Alberni Inlet / Barkley Sound);
Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-8, 25-16 (Tahsis/Muchalat Inlets); and
Subarea 28-1, 28-2, and 28-5 (portion Howe Sound).

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period to complete. These areas re-open 00:01 hours April 1, 2023.

Subareas 17-6 and 17-9 (Stuart Channel) will continue “pulse fishing” (closed in the first half of the month and open in the second half of the month). These Subareas will close to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving from:

00:01 hours January 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours January 15, 2023;
00:01 hours February 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours February 15, 2023; and
00:01 hours March 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours March 15, 2023.

These areas re-open 00:01 hours March 16, 2023.

All prawns carrying eggs externally on the underside of the tail must be returned to the water immediately and in the manner that causes the least harm.

All other coastal areas remain open to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving until further notice, except the following protected areas which are closed year round:

Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound Glass sponge Reef Marine Refuges;
Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area Reserve and Haida Heritage Site Strict Protection Zones;
Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs Marine Protected Area;
Offshore Seamounts and Vents;
Race Rocks Ecological Reserve and Area of Interest;
Cadboro Point Navigation Light (10 Mile Point);
Whytecliffe Park;
Porteau Cove;
Point Atkinson; and
Vancouver Harbour between Lions Gate Bridge and Ironworkers Memorial Bridge (also known as Second Narrows Bridge).

Discovery Passage, southeastern shoreline of Hornby Island, Strait of Georgia Dive Closures (Area 15), Ogden Point, and Pacific Rim National Park are closed year round to spear while diving.

Variation Order Number 2022-RCT-534.

Refer to the BC Sport Fishing Guide for further information href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html
Refer to the following website to Plan Ahead: seasonal prawn closures href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period to complete. These areas re-open 00:01 hours April 1, 2023.

Anyone notice that are a lot of prawn traps in the newly closed areas? It's hard to ignore them, but I don't want to ruin my limited time on the water driving around being a fish
They close areas where test sets have shown low spawner index. Often see the DFO seiner Neocaligus around Howe Sound in October and November, doing test sets.

Pretty bleh day on the water for us today. Did a couple passes each in Tunstall and Waterfall with nothing to show for it. We didn’t see much bait. Half hour of beautiful sunrise had us thinking the forecast might not pan out as predicted, boy were we wrong in the end though.

Attachments

• 2B9EF589-BBF4-4921-8587-F7CF5AFFEA40.png
    2B9EF589-BBF4-4921-8587-F7CF5AFFEA40.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
I heard they closed it down this year because the commies refused to volunteer to do the test sets. I have no idea if that's true or not. But seems like a no brainer for them to NOT do the tests if they want to keep rec guys off the water.

Wed 2022-11-30 2:26 PM

Subject: FN1356-RECREATIONAL - Shellfish - Prawn and Shrimp - Areas 13, 15, 16, 17, 19, 23, 25, 28 closures

Recreational prawn and shrimp harvesters are advised that the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from 00:01 January 1, 2023, to 23:59 March 31, 2023, in the following Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations:

Subareas 13-1, 13-12 to 13-17 (Quadra/Cortes Islands);
Subareas 15-1 to 15-3 (Powell River / Lund);
Subareas 16-1, 16-2, 16-5 to 16-10, 16-11, 16-16 to 16-18 (Malaspina Strait / lower Jervis Inlet and Sechelt / Salmon Inlets);
Subareas 17-5, 17-10 to 17-13, 17-15, 17-16, 17-18 (Nanaimo and portion Stuart Channel);
Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet);
Subareas 23-1 to 23-4 (Alberni Inlet / Barkley Sound);
Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-8, 25-16 (Tahsis/Muchalat Inlets); and
Subarea 28-1, 28-2, and 28-5 (portion Howe Sound).

Subareas 17-6 and 17-9 (Stuart Channel) will continue “pulse fishing” (closed in the first half of the month and open in the second half of the month). These Subareas will close to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving from:

00:01 hours January 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours January 15, 2023;
00:01 hours February 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours February 15, 2023; and
00:01 hours March 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours March 15, 2023.

These areas re-open 00:01 hours March 16, 2023.

All prawns carrying eggs externally on the underside of the tail must be returned to the water immediately and in the manner that causes the least harm.

All other coastal areas remain open to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving until further notice, except the following protected areas which are closed year round:

Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound Glass sponge Reef Marine Refuges;
Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area Reserve and Haida Heritage Site Strict Protection Zones;
Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs Marine Protected Area;
Offshore Seamounts and Vents;
Race Rocks Ecological Reserve and Area of Interest;
Cadboro Point Navigation Light (10 Mile Point);
Whytecliffe Park;
Porteau Cove;
Point Atkinson; and
Vancouver Harbour between Lions Gate Bridge and Ironworkers Memorial Bridge (also known as Second Narrows Bridge).

Discovery Passage, southeastern shoreline of Hornby Island, Strait of Georgia Dive Closures (Area 15), Ogden Point, and Pacific Rim National Park are closed year round to spear while diving.

Variation Order Number 2022-RCT-534.

Refer to the BC Sport Fishing Guide for further information href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html
Refer to the following website to Plan Ahead: seasonal prawn closures href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html
Can someone explain to me what areas they mean by Whytecliff park and Point Atkinson being closed to prawns year round? In front of Whytecliff and Point Atkinson? Inside Whytecliff where they dive? I regularly see traps all around Whyte Islet, Batchelor Bay, Garrow Bay, etc… red marks are places I’ve seen traps on a regular basis.

Attachments

• 5FF85765-9FDA-4AB0-B4C5-FCDE7AD63565.jpeg
    5FF85765-9FDA-4AB0-B4C5-FCDE7AD63565.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 28
We are diving into the conservation and fisheries politics conversations again in the reports section. I know it is difficult not to go down that road when someone asks information about openings and specific areas, but please keep this forum on topic for fishing reports. If you want to have a discussion about closures and expand on the why's, please do so in the Conservation area.

Thanks,

Brian

Going out this morning for the day , are there any suggestions on where to go. Thinking of running up to defence. Tia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back