2022 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
We always have Hawkins Cheezies on the boat and always when starting the day throw a few over each side of the boat.......a dumb little tradition we started in Kyuquot about 12 years ago. ;) I hadn't thrown any out on Monday and soon as I did......boom, multiple tuna all at once. :cool::p
I was going to ask. Buddy brought bananas on my boat to renfrew a few weeks ago. I told him to huck them all overboard. We limited out. Always give a gift to the sea gods, usually it's blood cause I always forget.

I was going to ask. Buddy brought bananas on my boat to renfrew a few weeks ago. I told him to huck them all overboard. We limited out. Always give a gift to the sea gods, usually it's blood cause I always forget.
You going out Friday? I’ll send you a pm. Does anyone know the dates of the Bamfield derby?

Last edited:
We always have Hawkins Cheezies on the boat and always when starting the day throw a few over each side of the boat.......a dumb little tradition we started in Kyuquot about 12 years ago. ;) I hadn't thrown any out on Monday and soon as I did......boom, multiple tuna all at once. :cool::p
Here is a funny for you...
Tuna fishing out of Westport.. We couldn't get a bait stop going.. I had a pet idea that maybe splashing birds would help draw tuna to the boat.
So besides throwing anchovies.. We had a huge bag of costco puffed wheat cereal. I was throwing handfuls of puffed wheat along w anch.. Nada.. 1 troll fish and no bait hookups. Eventually I got fed up.. Tossed the whole bag in behind the boat and we decided to move 5 miles farther south.
Birds went nuts over the puffed wheat.. Whatever.
We get about 1 mile south and see 3 boats heading EXACTLY our way??
Then we hear on vhf.. One guy has stabilizer binos.. He saw us and all the birds and figured we were on a school and leaving bec we plugged the bote
Hahahaha

Apparently throwing popcorn when you see birds is supposed get them feeding on top which in turn moves the tuna up top and creates a bite. Either that or it is the equivalent of a snipe hunt for newby tuna fishermen?

Apparently throwing popcorn when you see birds is supposed get them feeding on top which in turn moves the tuna up top and creates a bite. Either that or it is the equivalent of a snipe hunt for newby tuna fishermen?
Not the first time I’ve heard that. I used to chum a few leftover anchovies when we find a batch of tuna when they were cheap and I had lots

Not the first time I’ve heard that. I used to chum a few leftover anchovies when we find a batch of tuna when they were cheap and I had lots
We were having a slow afternoon the other day with about twenty minutes left to fish and we hooked a single right when it hooked up I dumped a bag of Doritos and a bag of lays over the side circled back and hooked up all 9 lines then called it a day

Hawkins are fish whistles

There are a ton of tuna nice and close to the beach.
Unreal day for our crew and all the others over the last few days.

We were plugged by lunch.
Loudon Canyon.

Attachments

• 42DF3399-283B-4A48-8DD4-01136AC14F36.jpeg
    42DF3399-283B-4A48-8DD4-01136AC14F36.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 187
Amazing day yesterday getting 3 cherries popped. Ran out of Ucuelet on @zloy amazing boat, following @ryanb and @Thunder21 out of the harbour. Totally props to @ryanb went way out of his way to help us the night before, embarrassing to say but he tied up most of my hand lines and it was a good thing too, when I had my own idea out there on the water I snapped a ***** off after a nice hit. If anyone gets a tuna dragging one and a nice zuke I would love to buy you a six pack and trade it.

@Pippen was the report that brought it all together and the rest of your posts for the last 5 years. I searched out for a bag of Hawkins and they had them at islands west resort where we launched and I parked the camper for a few hours of shut eye after getting salt ice at Neptune? Cash only.

@zloy was awesome running the boat getting us into the fish w/in 2 hours of pushing off. Can’t say enough about what a difference having a captain running the boat allowing me to rig up more gear on the go and manage lines. Three of us ran 8-9 lines the whole time with no significant tangles primarily thanks to the captain driving and no triples.

@zloy crew man spotted the blue water first and the temp change had us looking for sign at about 30-35 miles out at Loudon Canyon and I saw a small jumper. Line in and I don’t know if we even managed to get a second out and we were in.

Jumpers, surfacing and sunning pectoral fins all day. Throwing the Hawkins in helped, getting us back into a couple doubles end of the day.

What a learning curve! Top moment was after discussing the night before not trusting Scotty rod holders on downriggers one busted clean off and I managed to grab my rod before it went in the drink. @zloy said something like he had never seen anyone move so fast in their life.

We did extremely well for rookies thanks to the guys in this forum. Hands hurt and my caves are cramping and I need to find someone to help me get my cooler out of my truck.

The 5 of us on the two boats all have young children so getting out before school started was an achievement. We may have to do an annual dad derby for 1 or 2 days at the start of September, I don’t know how guys can do a long shootout! I drove home like a zombie last night, thankful to not be towing a boat with my camper.

Every zuke worked for us it seemed. Had one cedar plug but it was on my outer hand lines that under performed.

What can I say, ever the moon! @zloy and @ryanb class acts, two of the best guys with the best boats on the water. Hope to get my butt on the editing and drop a video soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back