2022 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is looking for some crew for tuna....i have 2 or 3 of us

I've had 2 semi planned trips blow up.

I also have all the gear from my guiding days

I forgot one funny story at the end of the day. As you saw in my pics our slurry bucket was chock full and when the tooners were flipping their tails there was blood going everywhere including all over us......it was on the hardtop, up by the helm...just mayhem. Being knackered at the end of the day we went into the bar at 1909 Kitchen for a drink forgetting to wash our faces. The bartender looked at us with blood all over our faces with this look of "what the f*** have you guys done?" Needless to say 3 of us wandered into the bathroom to look partially presentable.

Last edited:
I forgot one funny story at the end of the day. As you saw in my pics our slurry bucket was chock full and when the tooners were flipping their tails there was blood going everywhere including all over us......it was on the hardtop, up by the helm...just mayhem. Being knackered at the end of the day we went into the bar at 1909 Kitchen for a drink forgetting to wash our faces. The bartender looked at us with blood all over our faces with this look of "what the f*** have you guys done?" Needless to say 3 of us wandered into the bathroom to look partially presentable.
It's truly a blood sport

Amazing day yesterday getting 3 cherries popped. Ran out of Ucuelet on @zloy amazing boat, following @ryanb and @Thunder21 out of the harbour. Totally props to @ryanb went way out of his way to help us the night before, embarrassing to say but he tied up most of my hand lines and it was a good thing too, when I had my own idea out there on the water I snapped a ***** off after a nice hit. If anyone gets a tuna dragging one and a nice zuke I would love to buy you a six pack and trade it.

@Pippen was the report that brought it all together and the rest of your posts for the last 5 years. I searched out for a bag of Hawkins and they had them at islands west resort where we launched and I parked the camper for a few hours of shut eye after getting salt ice at Neptune? Cash only.

@zloy was awesome running the boat getting us into the fish w/in 2 hours of pushing off. Can’t say enough about what a difference having a captain running the boat allowing me to rig up more gear on the go and manage lines. Three of us ran 8-9 lines the whole time with no significant tangles primarily thanks to the captain driving and no triples.

@zloy crew man spotted the blue water first and the temp change had us looking for sign at about 30-35 miles out at Loudon Canyon and I saw a small jumper. Line in and I don’t know if we even managed to get a second out and we were in.

Jumpers, surfacing and sunning pectoral fins all day. Throwing the Hawkins in helped, getting us back into a couple doubles end of the day.

What a learning curve! Top moment was after discussing the night before not trusting Scotty rod holders on downriggers one busted clean off and I managed to grab my rod before it went in the drink. @zloy said something like he had never seen anyone move so fast in their life.

We did extremely well for rookies thanks to the guys in this forum. Hands hurt and my caves are cramping and I need to find someone to help me get my cooler out of my truck.

The 5 of us on the two boats all have young children so getting out before school started was an achievement. We may have to do an annual dad derby for 1 or 2 days at the start of September, I don’t know how guys can do a long shootout! I drove home like a zombie last night, thankful to not be towing a boat with my camper.

Every zuke worked for us it seemed. Had one cedar plug but it was on my outer hand lines that under performed.

What can I say, ever the moon! @zloy and @ryanb class acts, two of the best guys with the best boats on the water. Hope to get my butt on the editing and drop a video soon.
Can't believe we were able to pulled it all off so spontaneously and catch lots of fish! Thanks Kael and Ryan, that was the best fishing trip I ever had!

Amazing day yesterday getting 3 cherries popped. Ran out of Ucuelet on @zloy amazing boat, following @ryanb and @Thunder21 out of the harbour. Totally props to @ryanb went way out of his way to help us the night before, embarrassing to say but he tied up most of my hand lines and it was a good thing too, when I had my own idea out there on the water I snapped a ***** off after a nice hit. If anyone gets a tuna dragging one and a nice zuke I would love to buy you a six pack and trade it.

@Pippen was the report that brought it all together and the rest of your posts for the last 5 years. I searched out for a bag of Hawkins and they had them at islands west resort where we launched and I parked the camper for a few hours of shut eye after getting salt ice at Neptune? Cash only.

@zloy was awesome running the boat getting us into the fish w/in 2 hours of pushing off. Can’t say enough about what a difference having a captain running the boat allowing me to rig up more gear on the go and manage lines. Three of us ran 8-9 lines the whole time with no significant tangles primarily thanks to the captain driving and no triples.

@zloy crew man spotted the blue water first and the temp change had us looking for sign at about 30-35 miles out at Loudon Canyon and I saw a small jumper. Line in and I don’t know if we even managed to get a second out and we were in.

Jumpers, surfacing and sunning pectoral fins all day. Throwing the Hawkins in helped, getting us back into a couple doubles end of the day.

What a learning curve! Top moment was after discussing the night before not trusting Scotty rod holders on downriggers one busted clean off and I managed to grab my rod before it went in the drink. @zloy said something like he had never seen anyone move so fast in their life.

We did extremely well for rookies thanks to the guys in this forum. Hands hurt and my caves are cramping and I need to find someone to help me get my cooler out of my truck.

The 5 of us on the two boats all have young children so getting out before school started was an achievement. We may have to do an annual dad derby for 1 or 2 days at the start of September, I don’t know how guys can do a long shootout! I drove home like a zombie last night, thankful to not be towing a boat with my camper.

Every zuke worked for us it seemed. Had one cedar plug but it was on my outer hand lines that under performed.

What can I say, ever the moon! @zloy and @ryanb class acts, two of the best guys with the best boats on the water. Hope to get my butt on the editing and drop a video soon.
How many did ya get?
What an amazing first experience..... Good job

How many did ya get?
What an amazing first experience..... Good job
Final count was 22. I think we could have gotten to 25 pretty easily but we tried to pop the halibut cherry too, without any luck. Got mine fillet and vacuum packed last night and hope to smoke the bellies in the next day or two. I had to take out a ton of crab bait to make room for the loins in the freezers. Between tuna bait and old salmon and halibut carcasses I have lots of crabbing to do this week!

Final count was 22. I think we could have gotten to 25 pretty easily but we tried to pop the halibut cherry too, without any luck. Got mine fillet and vacuum packed last night and hope to smoke the bellies in the next day or two. I had to take out a ton of crab bait to make room for the loins in the freezers. Between tuna bait and old salmon and halibut carcasses I have lots of crabbing to do this week!
The bellies hot smoked are by far my favorite part.

Need a separate freezer for bait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back