Status
Not open for further replies.
Same song, different day. Coho off beachy head. 30ft and 60ft on the rigger with skinny G and AP spoons (but not sure it even matters). Lots of double headers and quick limits.
Ditto for us today. Non stop coho for the entire time. Mark rate for us was 20%. Springs in the mix as well. All on skinny G’s at 50 and 70ft. Left the dock at 10 am and back by 2pm. Bankers hours are so nice 6 keeper crabs as a bonus.

Ditto for us today. Non stop coho for the entire time. Mark rate for us was 20%. Springs in the mix as well. All on skinny G’s at 50 and 70ft. Left the dock at 10 am and back by 2pm. Bankers hours are so nice 6 keeper crabs as a bonus.
Another important note relative to the mark rate. Based on the target species (3-8lb coho) we reduced the hook size to 2/0 and never used the net. All of the fish we released were hooked on the outside of the mouth and suffered no deep hook (ie eye) injury. Something to think about. All the fish we released were gaff released. Felt good to do it right!

Just for fun, tried mooching cut plug around the head. After feeding the local undersized lings and rockfish, finally got a small spring on my second to last piece of bait.
Preceded to go after some coho. Only got 4 and lost a couple. 2oz.rudder weight, pink krippled k, 20 pulls behind the boat. Didn't see anyone slaying them today.

Just for fun, tried mooching cut plug around the head. After feeding the local undersized lings and rockfish, finally got a small spring on my second to last piece of bait.
Preceded to go after some coho. Only got 4 and lost a couple. 2oz.rudder weight, pink krippled k, 20 pulls behind the boat. Didn't see anyone slaying them today.
They were liking the cut plugs at the shack around 3pm today!....dropped into 4 teeners in the first hour after fishing otter before that. Otter only one 10 lber and a couple missed chances. Going to try it tomorrow again less wind

Motored out from Esquilmalt this am, I’m not sure where the predicted wind was today, but it was smooth sailing out there today, arrived around 8am inside the Bay, and after about 15 minutes, the tone was set with a double header, both wilds. It was good action all day, made my way out to the head and played with the other boats in the 200-350’ depths.

After it was all said-and-done I probably landed a dozen fish on my own, a few small springs, and all the coho today were under 6-7lbs. Ducked out about noon and headed back to Esquilmalt.

Fresh coho cajun salmon with pasta was amazing dinner tonight

Dead slow fishing out of beachey today. Didnt see many fish on or nets out. Fleet was scattered from 6-230. Saw no chinook on and few coho kept. We had a few coho bites and kept on small hatch and a rockfish.

Fished from 1:30 to 7:00 in 250 to 400’ water. Fishing depth 45-90’. No continuous action only picked up one here and there. We did get our limit of hatch coho. The ratio is about 1:3

Fished beachy hd and bay area 7-1. Got one hatch right away but action was sporadic and died off after 11am. Had 7 coho to boat, kept 2 hatch
Definitely slowed down from reports earlier in week.

Took my son and his friend out yesterday morning 8- noon. Beautiful calm day. Dropped gear in at Muir creek and had non stop action of small springs and coho for a while. Kept a couple hatch coho then moved down to Otter after the flood got going. Released 4 nice springs up to about 22lb.

You can make me release the fish but the smiles and memories are keepers!

Attachments

• E790998C-1C07-4DB9-992A-0114BA44E5AC.jpeg
    E790998C-1C07-4DB9-992A-0114BA44E5AC.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 17812CCB-8D65-45C3-BB59-069FD6D66A3C.jpeg
    17812CCB-8D65-45C3-BB59-069FD6D66A3C.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 158
  • C1E327F6-A250-4851-B616-2BA3350174D3.jpeg
    C1E327F6-A250-4851-B616-2BA3350174D3.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 160
Fished Sunday afternoon. South of Secretary. Fishing was spotty except for one crazy half hour around 3:30 when I got multiple doubles. Mostly 3-4 lbs coho. 1 in 3 clipped, but was also surprised by a mid teen spring. Had to hold the rod between my legs for that one as I cleared the rest of the gear. Fished from 0 to 60 feet. No preference. Outfitter skinny G with dummy flasher worked best. Had about a dozen salmon total in 3 hrs.

Late post:

Made my way out to Sooke from Esquilmalt at 7:15, arrived at the gap by Secretary, and i was fishing by 7:45, within 25 minutes and in the middle of the gap, hooked on to a nice spring, skinny G, 55’ on the rigger. I got my quick satisfaction of a big fish and went out and tried for some coho, quick double header, and then a few sporadic fish here and there, all wilds, no clipped for me. Caught a total of 8, some undersize, but averaged 3-6lbs. Packed it in by 12:30 and headed home, great ride back beautiful calm water

Attachments

• C484C6B5-29D1-4EB2-A309-D9EA9659BC6C.jpeg
    C484C6B5-29D1-4EB2-A309-D9EA9659BC6C.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 108
Fished Sunday afternoon. South of Secretary. Fishing was spotty except for one crazy half hour around 3:30 when I got multiple doubles. Mostly 3-4 lbs coho. 1 in 3 clipped, but was also surprised by a mid teen spring. Had to hold the rod between my legs for that one as I cleared the rest of the gear. Fished from 0 to 60 feet. No preference. Outfitter skinny G with dummy flasher worked best. Had about a dozen salmon total in 3 hrs.
When I am fishing solo, I place the rod with the fish on, back in the holder and clear the other rod like a mad man.

Was out yesterday for a troll. Non-stop action for cohos, lost as many as I landed, about 20 or so. Did get a hatchery coho and opened its stomach. Also had a slamming hit, I mean half the rod in the water dancing before and after leaving the clip, just to lose it on a second long run. Cohos are hungry even though their stomachs are full. Will try again Thursday when the wind behaves.

Was out yesterday for a troll. Non-stop action for cohos, lost as many as I landed, about 20 or so. Did get a hatchery coho and opened its stomach. Also had a slamming hit, I mean half the rod in the water dancing before and after leaving the clip, just to lose it on a second long run. Cohos are hungry even though their stomachs are full. Will try again Thursday when the wind behaves.
What kind and size of bait did you find?

How deep were u on the downriggers

What a hell of a weekend. Incredible Weather to start. Flat calm days. But more importantly the fishing was off the charts. Probably the best 3 days of fishing I have ever experienced in Sooke along with Pacific White Side Dolphin show, Grey Whale show. Friday July 8 probably caught 12 springs and 18 Coho. Fished all over Sooke. Most Coho were Wild. But we managed 3 Clipped fish 8, 6, 3. Fished Beechy Bay for a couple hours and were rewarded with a 16 lb Beautiful Chrome fish. My buddy couldn't go Saturday. So I ventured out by myself. Not as crazy but still good. 10 Springs and 12 coho. Springs were all Wild. Kept 2 Hatchery coho 6 and 4 lbs. But Sunday was Epic probably mine and my buddies number 1 day in Sooke in 25 years. We had over 35+ Fish, 20 springs avg size about 15 lbs. Biggest 24 and 26 pounds and lots between 13-18 lbs. Double headers was absolutely crazy, fun and beautiful. All Spring were Wild no hatchery. Had over 17 Coho to the boat. Tons of Wild. Kept 2 hatchery coho 7 and 4 lbs. Hardly any boats fishing for springs when we got out there about 7am. Most had gone coho fishing by 8am. I could not believe it. I can't believe on this 12 out of 10 day, how many boats were tied to the dock. I mean if you had a boat and were not fishing on Sunday or this weekend for that matter man you need to think how incredible it was and why you weren't fishing Lol. I for one just love fishing. Forget gas prices, Forget regulations get out there an enjoy this beautiful place for what it is. We live in the best Province, town, City in all of Canada and are blessed with this natural resource right in front of us. Remember the TUG is the DRUG, that keeps you coming back. Its not about how many fish you take home etc. I understand for Guides this is a detriment to their business bottom line and DFO should change regulations for Guides that have a legitimate business as this drives so much business to other sectors other than just fishing.

Anyway enjoy the next couple of weeks while I am off the water. I will be enjoying Cider and Wine in the Okanagan and the epic weather the interior has this year minus the forest fires for the first time in a while. Will be back for opening weekend of course and can hardly wait to see that HUGE TUG on the Downrigger again. Cheers to all. Get out there.

Last edited:
What a hell of a weekend. Incredible Weather to start. Flat calm days. But more importantly the fishing was off the charts. Probably the best 3 days of fishing I have ever experienced in Sooke along with Pacific White Side Dolphin show, Grey Whale show. Friday July 8 probably caught 12 springs and 18 Coho. Fished all over Sooke. Most Coho were Wild. But we managed 3 Clipped fish 8, 6, 3. Fished Beechy Bay for a couple hours and were rewarded with a 16 lb Beautiful Chrome fish. My buddy couldn't go Saturday. So I ventured out by myself. Not as crazy but still good. 10 Springs and 12 coho. Springs were all Wild. Kept 2 Hatchery coho 6 and 4 lbs. But Sunday was Epic probably mine and my buddies number 1 day in Sooke in 25 years. We had over 35+ Fish, 20 springs avg size about 15 lbs. Biggest 24 and 26 pounds and lots between 13-18 lbs. Double headers was absolutely crazy, fun and beautiful. All Spring were Wild no hatchery. Had over 17 Coho to the boat. Tons of Wild. Kept 2 hatchery coho 7 and 4 lbs. Hardly any boats fishing for springs when we got out there about 7am. Most had gone coho fishing by 8am. I could not believe it. I can't believe on this 12 out of 10 day, how many boats were tied to the dock. I mean if you had a boat and were not fishing on Sunday or this weekend for that matter man you need to think how incredible it was and why you weren't fishing Lol. I for one just love fishing. Forget gas prices, Forget regulations get out there an enjoy this beautiful place for what it is. We live in the best Province, town, City in all of Canada and are blessed with this natural resource right in front of us. Remember the TUG is the DRUG, that keeps you coming back. Its not about how many fish you take home etc. I understand for Guides this is a detriment to their business bottom line and DFO should change regulations for Guides that have a legitimate business as this drives so much business to other sectors other than just fishing.

Anyway enjoy the next couple of weeks while I am off the water. I will be enjoying Cider and Wine in the Okanagan and the epic weather the interior has this year minus the forest fires for the first time in a while. Will be back for opening weekend of course and can hardly wait to see that HUGE TUG on the Downrigger again. Cheers to all. Get out there.
Epic weather? Our summer only started this past week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back