Status
Not open for further replies.
I DO support the local sports fishing industry.

Something that you might consider about bonking fish.... I fish from the shore and am lucky if I catch one or two salmon per year. THESE are food fish for me and my family. I do not do catch and release and do not own a boat. so the only real chance for me to catch a salmon is now JUST the month of August. I used to fish from May to August for a few salmon......... not anymore
I fish from a boat and I’m lucky to catch one or two fish per year.

I did the 5:30-7:30 pre work fish this morning. Started at Trap Shack had a spring first pass and then it turned into the Coho show. They were stacked in there from the trap to Becher Bay. Lost count of how many, couldn't keep a rod down at times. Ended the day with 3 springs total to the boat, released for the whales to eat or something like that.

Any
I did the 5:30-7:30 pre work fish this morning. Started at Trap Shack had a spring first pass and then it turned into the Coho show. They were stacked in there from the trap to Becher Bay. Lost count of how many, couldn't keep a rod down at times. Ended the day with 3 springs total to the boat, released for the whales to eat or something like that.

Any size to the coho ? I would like to take some friends out and send them with some smoked fish home

THESE CLOSURES SUCKS !!!!!! thinking of yourself is the biggest reason we will never get away from these closures. Divide and concur
So clubbing every fish you catch will make the fishery better? I would like to catch salmon for years to come so you won't see me complaining. I'd also release any tyee I would get anyways so it doesn't really change anything for me

People that don't get out and support the local sportsfishing industry suck. If it's all about bonking fish for you, your type has gone by the way of the dinosaur. C & R has become pretty common place world wide.
Exactly... people need to realize clubbing is not what makes it fun. At the end of the day all you have is a picture so just enjoy it!!

This is becoming a common refrain in the fishing reports threads. If you want to discuss conservation and fisheries issues, there is a specific forum for that purpose...USE IT. This thread is a place to file a report...good or bad and share your fishing experience.

Last edited:
How many hatchery coho or rough percentage?

Thanks for the report, I miss the Trap Shack

Went out today for coho. Started about 930 at Church and trolled with the fast ebb current. Fish were hitting at first at 30 to 60ft on the rigger. Past beachy lots of fish on the surface so set riggers to 15ft and 35ft and hit on both. Limited out for 3 people quickly. done around noon and headed back home. Got 7 keeper crab to end the day.

Any reflective prism flasher worked. AP lures were the ticket today. It was a lot of fun so get out there if you can

Hi, I’m new to the area and wondering if sockeye opens, is it open in the Sooke area? I have fished the Fraser mouth in 2010, 2014, 2018. Is it worth fishing local or do guys run over to the Fraser. Thanks.

Hi, I’m new to the area and wondering if sockeye opens, is it open in the Sooke area? I have fished the Fraser mouth in 2010, 2014, 2018. Is it worth fishing local or do guys run over to the Fraser. Thanks.

Sometimes there is opening in JDF. Not sure this year.

Out yesterday. 3 nice springs in Becher bay. 15-20lb all wild. Went out to the head after the fog cleared. 470' of water. 1/30 coho was hatchery. Double header after double header. All in the 3-6lb range.
IMG_20220705_122721.jpg

Fishing has been off the charts good. The last 2 afternoons so many coho on the gear, doubles, triples that I couldn't ou t how many...probably north of 40 in 3 hours. Both days kept our 8 hatch. Yesterday 8 Chinook in the morning and today 18 all 8-17 pounds and the only boat fishing where I found bait. Skinny'G's on all 3 riggers and easy releases with single hooks in the lip or nose. Also countless under size springs all morning and we got our 4 hatch coho without having to leave the beach.

Same song, different day. Coho off beachy head. 30ft and 60ft on the rigger with skinny G and AP spoons (but not sure it even matters). Lots of double headers and quick limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back