Status
Not open for further replies.
I was already considering a new top anyways. This just lights a fire under my a$$.
A couple hundred in lost gear is a drop in the bucket compared to a day in the life of a commander 30 owner
Oh man is that a burn? Lol.
I’ve only lost one cannonball in the last 5 years and that was due to a Scotty that would not stop retrieving. Bad reed switch.
now I’m probably cursed for saying that.

Oh man is that a burn? Lol.
I’ve only lost one cannonball in the last 5 years and that was due to a Scotty that would not stop retrieving. Bad reed switch.
now I’m probably cursed for saying that.
Not a burn to your commander 30. Just one specific commander 30.
By the way, they are spectacular boats!

Fished Friday 7 to 1 or so. Mostly off secretary. Had over 50 fish to the boat, unbelievable day for a boat with a 12 year old and an albertan on board. Literally could not keep lines in the water at times. Took a few clipped fish home with us. Coho killer behind a green uv flasher caught fish continually all day from surface down to 130 as we tried for some bigger fish. Multiple times we were hitting fish before we could clip the line on the rigger and double headers all day. Thanks for whomever gave the tip about running smaller hooks, we were able to release almost every fish cleanly. Not a fishery for listening to the reel scream on anything with weight but not everyone needs that either.

Last edited:
Well,

Headed out to the Head from Esquilmalt again today, but this time I had my wife’s cousin and his son on board. They have never been salmon fishing before. Pretty slow for us on the Coho side, only a couple, no clipped for us though.

But we did manage a nice monster, pretty happy guy, considering this is his first ever salmon caught. played him for about 20-25 minutes, 3 big runs. We snapped a quick picture, and back in the water, and he swam away like a torpedo.

pick up the crab traps in front of Sax point, we had 50 crab between 2 traps, 11 keepers

Attachments

• 5DBF5B49-3803-4AA3-9D92-3617D064B459.jpeg
    5DBF5B49-3803-4AA3-9D92-3617D064B459.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 7848CF55-A1C0-4F64-8E77-BFBA9A95837F.jpeg
    7848CF55-A1C0-4F64-8E77-BFBA9A95837F.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 180
Well,

Headed out to the Head from Esquilmalt again today, but this time I had my wife’s cousin and his son on board. They have never been salmon fishing before. Pretty slow for us on the Coho side, only a couple, no clipped for us though.

But we did manage a nice monster, pretty happy guy, considering this is his first ever salmon caught. played him for about 20-25 minutes, 3 big runs. We snapped a quick picture, and back in the water, and he swam away like a torpedo.

pick up the crab traps in front of Sax point, we had 50 crab between 2 traps, 11 keepers
Now that’s a haul of crab good work

Im back from Knight inlet did my first trip in sooke today didnt take us long to get our limit of hatch coho then trolled past secretary for some nice spring action, biggest Id say was 20 ish and a hatch (of course) .
Sad thing passed pretige in am not one boat trailer on road and only 14 boats from sec to otter point, thought id never say that on a weekend in july in sooke...

Fished 730-1ish today wasn’t super hot but steady mainly doing catch and release for springs ended up with this tank what an epic battle, 2 more springs in the 12-18lb mark overall pretty sweet day, also caught a sockeye which was pretty interesting didn’t really bother for coho but ended up hooking one as we were packing up all safely released.

Attachments

• 6C18B1B4-8410-4C8E-9F2B-CAAAA4FDEFBA.jpeg
    6C18B1B4-8410-4C8E-9F2B-CAAAA4FDEFBA.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 191
Fished 730-1ish today wasn’t super hot but steady mainly doing catch and release for springs ended up with this tank what an epic battle, 2 more springs in the 12-18lb mark overall pretty sweet day, also caught a sockeye which was pretty interesting didn’t really bother for coho but ended up hooking one as we were packing up all safely released.
You know it’s ok to smile when holding a fish? Especially one like that.

Yowza!! What do you guess that sucker weighs? Looks like a tyee but it’s hard to say from the diagonal angle.

Yowza!! What do you guess that sucker weighs? Looks like a tyee but it’s hard to say from the diagonal angle.
I’m thinking 30lbs I didn’t wanna keep her outta the water to long but it maxed out my measuring board on the boat that’s 92cm I’m 6’1 and 250lbs for reference.

Out from 8 till 10 fishing coho from Beachy head towards Sooke. My 11 year old was tuckered right out from all the action; had a ton of double headers and all sorts of acrobatics. 90% wilds for us; it took a while to get our keepers. 450-525' of water and 25' to 40' on the riggers with smaller spoons.

Put in an hour trying for a spring on the way home but only caught one smaller guy. Imagine things picked up closer to the flood.

Saw some whales, a seal catching a fish (that wasn't already hooked!) Great day on the water!!

Fished from 1:30-4:15. Fished in 350’ water only two bites For the first 2 hours. we had a tangle and when we were clearing the tangle we drifted into 180’. We left flasher and spoon in the back floating on surface and it got bit. Ended up getting over 15 cohos and had our limit of hatcheries. All caught on the surface or near surface.

Fished from 1:30-4:15. Fished in 350’ water only two bites For the first 2 hours. we had a tangle and when we were clearing the tangle we drifted into 180’. We left flasher and spoon in the back floating on surface and it got bit. Ended up getting over 15 cohos and had our limit of hatcheries. All caught on the surface or near surface.
Bait or hardware?

Fished Friday 7 to 1 or so. Mostly off secretary. Had over 50 fish to the boat, unbelievable day for a boat with a 12 year old and an albertan on board. Literally could not keep lines in the water at times. Took a few clipped fish home with us. Coho killer behind a green uv flasher caught fish continually all day from surface down to 130 as we tried for some bigger fish. Multiple times we were hitting fish before we could clip the line on the rigger and double headers all day. Thanks for whomever gave the tip about running smaller hooks, we were able to release almost every fish cleanly. Not a fishery for listening to the reel scream on anything with weight but not everyone needs that either.
Thanks for the report Decks

I wasnt on the head at that time. I wandered near possession and saw a huge kelp bed and wanted to get close to it to look for a big guy hiding. next thing I know there was a 30’ pinnacle. I took my eye off the chart for a minute :(

You didn't do the wrong thing. There are sometimes fish stacked in there but you can't get too close. Comes up very quick. Now you know too look out for it!

How was the wind today (Monday) out Sooke way? I'm planning on running out there tomorrow from Vic. for some Coho action. First time in years to use all my trolling gear,downriggers.I will toss a few jigs their way too.

How was the wind today (Monday) out Sooke way?

Wasnt bad in am but did see BWD was like 24 kts this am but sooke was flat till about 10 ish then you could see that storm from come in.
Im out for a 6 am trip Ray shoot me a text in am if you want and ill let you know 250 704-9653

Fishing was a bit slower today only got 6 hatch and about 20 wilds and only 7 boats out front ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back