Herring aide spoon
How have the flats been for salmon lately? I guess the Springs have moved on and Coho are out a little further? First year I’ve fished there and it was sure good last month. Fun learning a new area.

How have the flats been for salmon lately? I guess the Springs have moved on and Coho are out a little further? First year I’ve fished there and it was sure good last month. Fun learning a new area.
It has been quite slow. There have been a few caught but not as good as a month ago. I know quite a few good fishers who have been skunked for a few trips out. Waterfront has been slow also.

It has been quite slow. There have been a few caught but not as good as a month ago. I know quite a few good fishers who have been skunked for a few trips out. Waterfront has been slow also.
It’s to bad they got rid of that net pen September waterfront fishing usto be unreal right until mid October

Caught 2 old boots on flats this morning, released to reproduce. Got 4 coho 2 hatch kept 1 and 2 wilds

not a soul on this board believe what you brag about.....
It's not bragging, it's just an update, I have never once bragged about any fish I have caught. Probably the most sportsman like person on here, we don't keep many fish unless they are bleeding. We were way out on the flats today, almost at the shipping lanes

745am out of Esquimalt. Flat calm so it was out to Constance Bank. 150 ft water 75' on the riggger. Had not even got the net together and fish on. Played the fish as my son worked on get the net together. Lost it at the boat. One other hit and that was it. Couple other boats out there and I didn't see any nets in the air. Tried for coho for about 1 hr in the tide lines close to the yellow can. No love there. One run from brotchie to flemming and nada. Picked up the 2 traps and kept a few nice ones for dinner. Odd, flat out on the bank and as we came in close to Victoria it got really choppy. Off shore breeze. The salt chuck has a mind of it own. Fingers croosed for bigger coho runs over the next few weeks.

745am out of Esquimalt. Flat calm so it was out to Constance Bank. 150 ft water 75' on the riggger. Had not even got the net together and fish on. Played the fish as my son worked on get the net together. Lost it at the boat. One other hit and that was it. Couple other boats out there and I didn't see any nets in the air. Tried for coho for about 1 hr in the tide lines close to the yellow can. No love there. One run from brotchie to flemming and nada. Picked up the 2 traps and kept a few nice ones for dinner. Odd, flat out on the bank and as we came in close to Victoria it got really choppy. Off shore breeze. The salt chuck has a mind of it own. Fingers croosed for bigger coho runs over the next few weeks.
Hey Slack-tider, thanks for the great report. How do you see the tide lines at the yellow can? I keep hearing about them but I was out yesterday and couldn't see anything that would let me know there is a tide line there. Please help! We trolled 60' on the downrigger from constance to vic harbour. When we pulled up our gear we had an undersized lingcod on one of the lines. We probably dragged him the whole way.

Left the Esquilmalt launch about 9:45 and headed out to my halibut hole. Tide was kinda weird today so it took a bit to for the bait to sit on the bottom, finally at 12:00 it started to settle down. About 20-25 minutes later, fish on! Brought up a 88cm. Caught it on herring, 285’. The other rod had salmon head with a bit of salmon belly with a hoochie, but no takers. Rain came in about 2:00, packed it in about 2:30.

Attachments

• 05B28165-6EEF-4396-BAC2-D24B92D59F38.jpeg
    05B28165-6EEF-4396-BAC2-D24B92D59F38.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 45
Out from Pedder over to Constance, from about 9:30 to 2:30. Don't have a Hali anchor system yet, thought we would give it a go on the drift. The winds and tide calmed down, and aside from the whale watching boats and a couple boats on the troll, we had the bank to ourselves (west side). At 1:00, my wife's rod had a gentle tap, we thought it was probably a dog fish, but sure enough, 30 seconds into reeling it realized it was hooked and showed us a bit more weight. Beauty 28# hali, first one on the boat. Only bite of the day.PXL_20210926_192750101.jpg

Hey Slack-tider, thanks for the great report. How do you see the tide lines at the yellow can? I keep hearing about them but I was out yesterday and couldn't see anything that would let me know there is a tide line there. Please help! We trolled 60' on the downrigger from constance to vic harbour. When we pulled up our gear we had an undersized lingcod on one of the lines. We probably dragged him the whole way.
Hi ThatswhatSEAsaid. On a calm day you can see the tide lines on the water surface. During a tide change and slack it is harder to see. Normally there is a line of kelp, wood and other things collected on the tide lines. You'll know when you see them and at times you can feel the boat slip as you go through them. I try to stay on one side or the other to avoid picking up stuff on you gear or rigger.

Good luck out there.

Back