First time on the flats this year figuring if the mature fish in Sooke have slowed down , maybe some feeders in oak bay. Out at the crack of 9:30. Mature dark looking 14lb in first 10 min then not another bite all day. Gave up and jigged for cod for bit. One near keeper ling and couple rockfish.

Last edited:
Went out Saturday from 9-5. Started at clover point and had basically zero action. Saw one other boat catch a fish but that was it. At 12 we got a 15lb spring, didn’t fight at all. Fished for the rest of the day at clover and in front of esquimalt but had very few bites. Had a small one on in the afternoon but it came off. Other than the fish it was a very slow day.

Sunday PM launched at Flemming and Trolled east around Trial Island and back with the tides. Pretty much Deadsville from what I saw. Dragged along 3 baby lings, a small rockfish and a sand dab for who knows how long. That might of been part of the problem. The only significant bait cloud I saw was East of trial just outside the RCA. Creel survey guy said it had been pretty slow.

I found time to get out to the mud flats today. Great day on the water, lots of big hump backs cruising through. Anchored up at 8:00, caught a 65 pound 128 cm halibut within 20 minutes – not much of a fighter, I was expecting a 20 pounder. Full of prawns.

IMG_1043.JPG

I was thinking one last time, and try for a HO or two with my son. If I was launching out of Esquimalt, where would be a good area. If the conditions allow I would run the 16.5 double eagle out anywhere between Discovery and Whirl Bay. Even out to Constance Bank if the tides are favorable. Fishology 101 is telling me out deep 300-400 ft and somewhere between 50' and 150'. Run plastic or lurers.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for your secret spot, just looking to improve my chances. I am traditional a nook or halibut guy.

Cheers, Slack-Tider

I was thinking one last time, and try for a HO or two with my son. If I was launching out of Esquimalt, where would be a good area. If the conditions allow I would run the 16.5 double eagle out anywhere between Discovery and Whirl Bay. Even out to Constance Bank if the tides are favorable. Fishology 101 is telling me out deep 300-400 ft and somewhere between 50' and 150'. Run plastic or lurers.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for your secret spot, just looking to improve my chances. I am traditional a nook or halibut guy.

Cheers, Slack-Tider
Your best chance would be sooke, whirl bay has been holding some nice coho, mostly wilds a few hatchery just be pstient

Thanks OB Master. I assume out of the bay, offshore in deeper water. Or can coho be fished similar to chinook, in tight?

Some big fat mature springs at constance this morning, they all looked like old gum boots, sent them free to spawn
And people keep them fishing in the rivers?? Good for you for releasing them! I was out at Constance on Saturday afternoon looking for coho, but not even a sniff!

And people keep them fishing in the rivers?? Good for you for releasing them! I was out at Constance on Saturday afternoon looking for coho, but not even a sniff!
Monday around noon at OB flats, got one 5 lb hatchery coho and one 55 cm spring. Lost one big lunker half way to the boat. Using small spoons. had 3 other boats for company.

Gave the waterfront a shot this afternoon.130-5pm. Two scrappy wilds to the side of the boat , a couple hit n runs that disappeared. 2 keeper big dark meaty dungees. One off Brochie the rest out further on spoons herring aid and the green *******, sunny with a few fog blobs rolling by. Love fishing this area, the only boat and mins from home.

Attachments

• 805A70E5-4440-44C8-BD4B-B90310512C59.jpeg
    805A70E5-4440-44C8-BD4B-B90310512C59.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 92
  • 2C8D9568-89B8-47BC-9B85-9A11CC051483.jpeg
    2C8D9568-89B8-47BC-9B85-9A11CC051483.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 89
Back