2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Went out today after work. About 4 pm. It was rough in the Harbour and my brother in law isn't the most comfortable on a boat. So we fished the Indian arm for 4 hours over a couple spots, tracked a little bait but got nothing.. had diner and some beers. Great evening. Has anyone ever caught anything up the arm other then the pinks during the run.
Indian arm is dead water - https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/oceans/bc-inlets-mer-de-bras-cb/water-prop-eau-eng.html. Attempts at hatcheries have all failed. Just full of jellyfish.

Here they tried many moons ago with coho - https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/69957.pdf. I think this was before they could measure oxygen levels in the water.

Last edited:
Indian arm is dead water - https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/oceans/bc-inlets-mer-de-bras-cb/water-prop-eau-eng.html. Attempts at hatcheries have all failed. Just full of jellyfish.

Here they tried many moons ago with coho - https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/69957.pdf. I think this was before they could measure oxygen levels in the water.
Years ago when I used to own Whistler Fishing Guides we would go over to the Indian to fish Pinks. Caught a couple Chinook over there in the river. That was back in the late 90's early 2000's though.

Had an incredible day at HITW today. Fished 9-3 and caught the tide change. Calm water and only light rain. Caught only 1 pollock but many more other fish. 6 over min and biggest touching 80. 4/6 were hatchery and all were still released gently. Iimits would have been reached even if only for hatchery. Very frustrating trying to understand logic when hatchery for any other species would have been acceptable. So sad

Attachments

• 20210424_130300.jpg
    20210424_130300.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 123
Had an incredible day at HITW today. Fished 9-3 and caught the tide change. Calm water and only light rain. Caught only 1 pollock but many more other fish. 6 over min and biggest touching 80. 4/6 were hatchery and all were still released gently. Iimits would have been reached even if only for hatchery. Very frustrating trying to understand logic when hatchery for any other species would have been acceptable. So sad
thats awesome how deep and what on were u getting your fish?

Our First fish for the season today after getting the boat in earlier this month. Dropped a couple of traps in the harbour and headed for Gabriola. Smooth crossing no wind and barely any rain. Fished mid island , 1000-600ft range following Pacific Anglers guidance like a good boy.
We had a great day with about 18 fish to the boat. 107-167 on the rigger Probably 6 over 62cm. Biggest approx 17lb. Of the 3 we netted and released all were clipped.
Smooth return trip and we had low expectations for the crab traps.
But behold! We struck the motherload.
18 keepers in two traps.

Attachments

• B3C2AB46-4BAA-4175-889E-ECCF9D768C47.jpeg
    B3C2AB46-4BAA-4175-889E-ECCF9D768C47.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 195
Our First fish for the season today after getting the boat in earlier this month. Dropped a couple of traps in the harbour and headed for Gabriola. Smooth crossing no wind and barely any rain. Fished mid island , 1000-600ft range following Pacific Anglers guidance like a good boy.
We had a great day with about 18 fish to the boat. 107-167 on the rigger Probably 6 over 62cm. Biggest approx 17lb. Of the 3 we netted and released all were clipped.
Smooth return trip and we had low expectations for the crab traps.
But behold! We struck the motherload.
18 keepers in two traps.
Don’t panic we only kept 8

Fished Indian Arm years ago and at times productive for Chinook around the B.C. Hydro Power Plant. Coho never caught one, Indian River pink run if that's your fancy we're abundant. Pollock were and still maybe abundant as well at Bedwell Bay. Dropped the crab traps in the bay with good success until commercially wiped out. Last time in the bay the water was absolutely stagnant so not worth the effort but you can have pleasant seas if conditions elsewhere are miserable.

Fished Indian Arm years ago and at times productive for Chinook around the B.C. Hydro Power Plant. Coho never caught one, Indian River pink run if that's your fancy we're abundant. Pollock were and still maybe abundant as well at Bedwell Bay. Dropped the crab traps in the bay with good success until commercially wiped out. Last time in the bay the water was absolutely stagnant so not worth the effort but you can have pleasant seas if conditions elsewhere are miserable.
Has anyone tried the Indian Arm for anything other than Salmon? I know it's closed for Rockfish. What about Pacific Perch / Sole / Flounder? Is that eve a thing? Asking because I will be in the water tomorrow and Tuesday, mostly crabbing, so wondering how I can kill some time.

Last edited:
Hi, anyone recommend Prawning in the Indian Arm? I know it's not prime spot, but worth at least to get one dinner? Will be spending a couple days in the water. Cheers

Hi, anyone recommend Prawning in the Indian Arm? I know it's not prime spot, but worth at least to get one dinner? Will be spending a couple days in the water. Cheers
takes time to know/learn where to catch them.. start trying! look for buoys is a start.

About six years ago I was building a house up the arm, one of the guys was getting loads of prawns. I never saw where he dropped, but fairly close to the end.

Dropped the traps for a quick soak on sunday night in howe sound.. got 12 enormous spot prawns in about an hour or so.

On a side note I haven't managed to get a single (keeper) crab in howe sound this year..

Dropped the traps for a quick soak on sunday night in howe sound.. got 12 enormous spot prawns in about an hour or so.

On a side note I haven't managed to get a single (keeper) crab in howe sound this year..

Same here on the crab. I live in the sound and no crab for me this year that’s worth writing about.

What depths you doing crab at I found in the Howe area I have dropped to 150 and get nice ones and 70 has been the shallowest.

Back