2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

There's a checkpoint halfway across the straight. They'll turn you back for suuuure.
Oh yeah, totally! They were setting it up at Halibut Bank yesterday. It’s all legit now.

Anyway, as for the Vancouver fishing reports, I heard the polluck run off the hump is super hot - first come, first serve and with a limit of 8/license.

I have not seen any new DFO stuff, this was just where I found it on their website. I would hate to be wrong but it does look pretty straight forward.

This is not a true fishing report but,

I stopped by MacDonald beach launch to just do a quick in and out off the trailer to fix a bunk. The tide was low but still going out, too low on either side to float my boat. I ended up measuring depth at the end of the dock, about 18"
While I was looking over the situation some City of Richmond come over and asks if I bought the $27 launch fee. I told him no because the boat can't be launched.
Well he proceeds to take pictures of my boat and licence plates
Seeing as he appears to be someone of influence I asked him about the conditions of the ramps and waterway.
As most know now getting in and out of the cove is perilous due to silt build up
So I ask him about dredging and he tells me they do it all the time.
I ask what maintenance as the one dock is closed off and there are logs all over the place and tires on the good dock are so old they are turning into powder and about the giant pot holes at the entrance.
Well that got him upset so he pointed to the concrete slabs and said they ALL were changed and nobody saw because they are done at night at low tide.
I don't know how long those slabs last but there was only one half that looked changed on the whole dock, but there were several placed around grassy areas.
Then he tells me about how they are getting ripped off all the time and if they had 80% of the park full then they would do more maintenance.

Ya I am old and grumpy but I really hate it when someone tries to blow smoke up my as$,

At any rate I didn't use up their over used launch and I think the three people who did may get a ticket for abusing the public dock.

The gentleman drove away in his little white car.

Do they ever dredge MacDonald launch?

It is becoming my idea that they want to eliminate the boat launch and go full doggy park.
ive been launching there for over 6 years there now they have never dredged the entrance to the launch via the water yesterday was a low tide we had to wait a hour and a half just to get into the entrance way of the launch if they changed the slabs of the launch they missed one theres still a big hole where your trailer tires are best time for them to be dredging it would be in the winter when the launch isnt used as much

Today we managed to get over to Thrasher Rock. We really have no idea how to fish it, so we just followed the contour lines around 150 feet. It was really good catch and release on the Chinook. We would have had three nice fish to come home with. Few others released that where around 45-60 cm. We got a small Ling that we could have kept but didn't. Two of the keepers size were on the brads bait box (10-12lbs) the fat guy was on an ap sandlance spoon (maybe 13-15 lbs hatch). Flat calm on the way home. Left thrasher at 300pm arrived in my slip at mosquito creek at 352pm. Must be our record time. All in all, a perfect day. Also used my new rod for the first time and loved it.

Today we managed to get over to Thrasher Rock. We really have no idea how to fish it, so we just followed the contour lines around 150 feet. It was really good catch and release on the Chinook. We would have had three nice fish to come home with. Few others released that where around 45-60 cm. We got a small Ling that we could have kept but didn't. Two of the keepers size were on the brads bait box (10-12lbs) the fat guy was on an ap sandlance spoon (maybe 13-15 lbs hatch). Flat calm on the way home. Left thrasher at 300pm arrived in my slip at mosquito creek at 352pm. Must be our record time. All in all, a perfect day. Also used my new rod for the first time and loved it.
Were you going to Thrasher just to fish Salmon? This time of year the Hump can be just as productive.

Were you going to Thrasher just to fish Salmon? This time of year the Hump can be just as productive.
I was going to target salmon. It was thrasher or defense today. But the sound seemed lumpy. Next weekend I want to try defense.. to be quite honest if I didn't forget my phone today I would have kept the Ling. I didn't know the minimum size. So thrasher you can legit target salmon and pick up a Ling on the brads bait box at the same time.

Managed to evade the mid straight no travel checkpoints to promptly get our limit of bottom dwellers. Then “legally” trolled for Chinook Northwest of Thrasher. Had 5 next to the boat. 3 would have been legal size. ALL 5 WERE HATCHERY FISH. F@$K YOU BERNADETTE AND JUSTIN.

Managed to evade the mid straight no travel checkpoints to promptly get our limit of bottom dwellers. Then “legally” trolled for Chinook Northwest of Thrasher. Had 5 next to the boat. 3 would have been legal size. ALL 5 WERE HATCHERY FISH. F@$K YOU BERNADETTE AND JUSTIN.

does anyone know of any farmers who live in ottawa? if we all pitched in a small fee we can pay them to load up a dump truck with horse and cow crap...and dump a fresh load or two on the front steps to the parliament building. If i cant enjoy the smile i would get from bringing home a hatchery fish, I would settle for the smile I would get seeing either one of the two clowns plugging their nose as they walked past the piles of crap on their way to a meeting.

gonna fish tmro afternoon and then stay on the pick and fish weds aswell , anyone have any trouble from the bull for crossing over?

gonna fish tmro afternoon and then stay on the pick and fish weds aswell , anyone have any trouble from the bull for crossing over?
We actually cruised to Thrasher side by side with the rcmp boat until they stepped on the gas and left us. They saw us and didn't seem to care.

I was going to target salmon. It was thrasher or defense today. But the sound seemed lumpy. Next weekend I want to try defense.. to be quite honest if I didn't forget my phone today I would have kept the Ling. I didn't know the minimum size. So thrasher you can legit target salmon and pick up a Ling on the brads bait box at the same time.
LINGS ARE 65 CM MIN

Back