2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

No offense Admin, but the fishery is closed in Vancouver, so we don't have much to report! We need our Forum members to hammer Minister Jordan. This is a political decision!
That's why we are fine with you posting reminders about the campaign here and other places in the forum. But if people simply want to rant about the subject, which I get, there are other threads for that.

So seeing that the Chinook fishery is closed, I would like to specifically target for pollock, while not catching Chinook as a "by-catch". Is it possible to jig these pollock up just drifting at all? I've never in my life caught Salmon while jigging so I'm thinking if the pollock can be caught this way, I can avoid any drama out on the water if people are gonna get mad at me for trolling. If anyone knows the way please share if you don't mind! I want to get out on the water and catch some dinner without breaking any rules! Also when does pollock usually run til?

So seeing that the Chinook fishery is closed, I would like to specifically target for pollock, while not catching Chinook as a "by-catch". Is it possible to jig these pollock up just drifting at all? I've never in my life caught Salmon while jigging so I'm thinking if the pollock can be caught this way, I can avoid any drama out on the water if people are gonna get mad at me for trolling. If anyone knows the way please share if you don't mind! I want to get out on the water and catch some dinner without breaking any rules! Also when does pollock usually run til?

you may then be hassled by someone or dfo if they think you are jigging for bottomfish which is closed all year long around the waters of the lower mainland...its like every damn reef and rockpile is depleted ...dont know why they wont allow areas that may be plentiful or have rebounded.

you may then be hassled by someone or dfo if they think you are jigging for bottomfish which is closed all year long around the waters of the lower mainland...its like every damn reef and rockpile is depleted ...dont know why they wont allow areas that may be plentiful or have rebounded.
Totally true. I was thinking if pollock are being caught while trolling they may be more of a mid-water species compared to rockfish and lingcod which are closed. I could be wrong, and it would for sure be frustrating if you had to descend 10 rockfish for every pollock you caught.

Totally true. I was thinking if pollock are being caught while trolling they may be more of a mid-water species compared to rockfish and lingcod which are closed. I could be wrong, and it would for sure be frustrating if you had to descend 10 rockfish for every pollock you caught.
pollock range from 100 - 250 it seems , we targeted them for ling bait on the hump a few years ago , just chunks of anchovy drifted in that zone , they were THICK that spring though

on that note , has anyone had any steady luck in the lower strait fishing for grey cod ? ( pacific cod ) . used to get the odd one mooching deep off thormaby , but small 3 - 4 lbers, not the mid to high teeners we get up north, they are fantastic table fare

Fished HITW 9-3. No luck with pollock for me. But a beautiful day and was blessed with a screaming 78cm wild! What a fight. And another that came in at 65. Both gently released.
beauty how deep and what on u get those hits

Did some prawning off Gambier today. Not great numbers but huge size. Anchored in center bay for some barbecue and a gear tying session. Beautiful day out there.
I was wondering about something though. My wife thinks I'm overreacting (typical... me overreacting and her being right). I set 4 sets of gear in a tight grouping in a location that was kind of out there. As far as I know, not a busy spot. I set at 1PM and was back at 4PM to get them. Sure as **** some asshat set his gear dead center of all my gear. Like he took out a f***ing compas and protractor and mapped it out. He would have had a difficult time avoiding my traps to set his. Is this normal? While I was pulling my gear he came and pulled his and we damn near collided while drifting. Ugh! I need to fish.
On a positive note! My Ace crapped out for a third time a couple months back. That's not the positive part. The guys at Ace finally just sent me a brand new model. No questions asked, no receipt and I bought it used. The new model is faster and just feels tougher. Great customer service.

Last edited:
Did some prawning off Gambier today. Not great numbers but huge size. Anchored in center bay for some barbecue and a gear tying session. Beautiful day out there.
I was wondering about something though. My wife thinks I'm overreacting (typical... me overreacting and her being right). I set 4 sets of gear in a tight grouping in a location that was kind of out there. As far as I know, not a busy spot. I set at 1PM and was back at 4PM to get them. Sure as **** some asshat set his gear dead center of all my gear. Like he took out a f***ing compas and protractor and mapped it out. He would have had a difficult time avoiding my traps to set his. Is this normal? While I was pulling my gear he came and pulled his and we damn near collided while drifting. Ugh! I need to fish.
On a positive note! My Ace crapped out for a third time a couple months back. That's not the positive part. The guys at Ace finally just sent me a brand new model. No questions asked, no receipt and I bought it used. The new model is faster and just feels tougher. Great customer service.
Was around gambier today too. No love for me on the crabbing . But kids and dog had fun swimming .

It sounds like typical behavior if you dropped your traps exactly in the center of that bay haha, given the nature of some of the folks who regularly transit that area.

It sounds like typical behavior if you dropped your traps exactly in the center of that bay haha, given the nature of some of the folks who regularly transit that area.
It wasn't in the middle of the bay but it sure was en route from West Van to the RVYC and my god what a bunch of winners going through there. I think it's just 20 degree syndrome to be honest. I've always loved winter boating for that reason. Far less idiots on the water.

It wasn't in the middle of the bay but it sure was en route from West Van to the RVYC and my god what a bunch of winners going through there. I think it's just 20 degree syndrome to be honest. I've always loved winter boating for that reason. Far less idiots on the water.
Stupidity is the real pandemic in world today, I stay on shore weekends to avoid the winners

Back