Another rough one this morning. Had 2 young kids so tucked in front of Wells O'weary for awhile where it was calmer so the kids wouldn't get sick right away...but no fish in there onna flood. So after awhile I made a pass along the west side of Otter and quickly got 6 pinks but no springs...never seen one caught. The 2 kids and dad were all over the side after that one pass and dad wanted to take them home so that was it....check the crab traps and back at the dock at 10am...first trip since July without a spring on the gear.

Another fantastic morning of fishing with a buddy at Beechey Head. Couldn’t keep the pinks off but found our spring in the mix. it was a washing machine morning for sure and hard to see debris in the water, But worth the trip.
These 70 to 80cm cookies cutters are a perfect size for us sport fishers .
Btw another hatchery head today
REMEMBER TO TURN IN THE HATCHERY HEADS
I hope you guides that run out of Sooke do the same . Disgraceful

I think if it is that obvious you should say something. It’s likely they are not aware of the rules. If you are able to educate them, then next time they will release the big ones. Just my 2 cents.

i am a rules geek and i can’t make heads or tails of the DFO website anymore. it is so convoluted and makes you jump all over the place with multiple lines that contradict. not cutting the guy slack but maybe he just screwed up. i dunno …

Another fantastic morning of fishing with a buddy at Beechey Head. Couldn’t keep the pinks off but found our spring in the mix. it was a washing machine morning for sure and hard to see debris in the water, But worth the trip.
These 70 to 80cm cookies cutters are a perfect size for us sport fishers .
Btw another hatchery head today
REMEMBER TO TURN IN THE HATCHERY HEADS
I hope you guides that run out of Sooke do the same . Disgraceful
I do hope that the charter guys chip in an extra share on the volunteer front at the hatcheries.. assuming this is the norm?

Fished in that washing machine loaded with kelp yesterday. Challenging but productive.
Started at the head with too many pinks and too much kelp so ran down to trap. Not much better there. Caught a 10lb spring it front of trap reef. By the time we released it we were almost back at the head with current. Kept a 12lb and went through a bunch more pinks off the head then trolled to Aldridge for a break from the weather. It was too much work. Lol.
nothing happening at Aldridge and we were in derby so my son said let’s go back to the head. We promptly caught another 10 lb spring there and called it a day.
My son won second place for kids with a 14.2lb from Saturday. 1st for kid was 14.4lb. I was super proud of how he handled the 2 days of rough water and hard fishing conditions. It’s challenging and a lot of work for 2 guys to run a 17ft boat in that weather. He’s a great fishing partner and handles the boat and gear like a pro. On the rod or on the net, I trust him more than anyone I fish with. Not bad for 11 years old. Good weekend of fishing…great weekend with son.

I do hope that the charter guys chip in an extra share on the volunteer front at the hatcheries.. assuming this is the norm?
WHO DO YOU THINK has been doing most of the work?? sorry dumbest thing ive ever read out of 300 boats and there is only about 15 guides left in sooke (do the math) on water. The handful of sooke charter assoc, guides have been doing most of the work we have asked countless times for help no one shows up...You do realize this is its 6th year too right??

There are charter guys helping out, weekend warriors too and some that don't fish. The late April/May timing allows for lending a hand because they aren't fishing everyday like we are now. The people doing the day to day work just expect those who can't help out with their time to just turn in their heads and help justify the project by getting maximum counts of returning fish which proves the pen works and is doing what it was intended to do.

Getting sick of all the wind and big water for AUGUST???? Makes for long days. The mass of Chinook that have been holding in Sooke for awhile now have either mover along or just moved. Maybe resident whales came through and chased them around? Got two 10 pounders this morning with a couple of hatch coho and a bunch of pinks..also released at least a half dozen sox. Otter was a washing machine again early so passed it and went to Muir where it was much better. The afternoon trip was a bit better with 4 smaller springs up to 10 pounds and some pinks. Lost a couple of other springs which we never saw. Sloppy again so fished the east side of the point in the lee and found bait and fish there on the ebb. Skinny g's again today.

Last edited:
The mass of Chinook that have been holding in Sooke for awhile now have either mover along or just moved. Maybe resident whales came through and chased them around?
Just think it was an off day bud I was still able to find some nice slot ,. heard trap and possesion had some nice ones as well , RE whales last I heard they were on the American side off neah bay heading south but who knows where.
As for my earlier post I was tired and it annoyed me as I hear it all the time that guides take all the fish etc blah blah blah we as guides are the minority when there is 300 boats and 10 of us we are defiantly not, we are all in the same bag we are sportfishermen period I see guys out there EVERY single day fishing right along side me. I sure hope when SVIAC posts they need some help finacially and physivally you will look back at how great sooke fishing has been and contribute both ways ...
Now everyone get out fishing and have some fun!!!!

Good luck wolf

Just think it was an off day bud I was still able to find some nice slot ,. heard trap and possesion had some nice ones as well , RE whales last I heard they were on the American side off neah bay heading south but who knows where.
As for my earlier post I was tired and it annoyed me as I hear it all the time that guides take all the fish etc blah blah blah we as guides are the minority when there is 300 boats and 10 of us we are defiantly not, we are all in the same bag we are sportfishermen period I see guys out there EVERY single day fishing right along side me. I sure hope when SVIAC posts they need some help finacially and physivally you will look back at how great sooke fishing has been and contribute both ways ...
Now everyone get out fishing and have some fun!!!!

Good luck wolf
Interesting point about all the guides taking all the fish, the times I have been out this season I see a few sport boats out there every day catching there limits. They continue to fish and I never see them helping out or donating to the hatchery/ net pen project.
we always forget when a low pressure moves in the fish react to it as well just like the tides.
REMEMBER TO TURN IN THE HATCHERY HEADS FROM YOUR CHINOOKS.
FIVE GUIDES IN PARTICULAR FROM SOOKE

He’s a great fishing partner and handles the boat and gear like a pro. On the rod or on the net, I trust him more than anyone I fish with. Not bad for 11 years old. Good weekend of fishing…great weekend with son.

This sounds like my relationship with my dad as a kid fishing Barkley Sound. He would let me do anything required to operate the boat and gear. By the time I was 12, I was a trained killer. LOL

One thing I learned from my dad that I applied to my own kids. They’re only limited in what they can learn by what you’re willing to teach them.

At 12 years old, I could very competently operate a 17’6” boat and gear, solo.

You sound like a great dad!

Fished 8-11 today between the Head and Trap. Started out with a few pinks and then released a 90cm Spring around 20lbs. There didn't seem to be as many springs around but there was a mix of pinks, coho and sockeye. No spring limit today but a great day on the water. Kept 6 pinks for the smoker.

Glen I dont know what 5 guides your talking but ive been putting them in along with many others i have talked to maybe contact them personally??
Today was a bit harder got the limit of springs hatch coho and pinks that current if defiantly getting stronger in am and man WEEDS were a bit tough to take today very frustrating but hey thats all part of it

Great day for us, picked up a 78 and and 80 on a double header in the first 30 minutes.fun stuff. Tried for Coho after that, picked up a few wild and only managed one Hatch, then a couple of pinks , wrapped up by noon.

Great day for us, picked up a 78 and and 80 on a double header in the first 30 minutes.fun stuff. Tried for Coho after that, picked up a few wild and only managed one Hatch, then a couple of pinks , wrapped up by noon.
Sounds great. Was that near Trap or the Head?
Can you let me know how deep I should fish.
Thanks

Can you let me know how deep I should fish.
I vary from 28 to 90 feet
If you see me out there say Hi and ill tell yeah as that fish is gone anyways LOL... last week everything was shallow my deepest rod was 55 feet these past days have been harder but went down to 90 feet, I always especially in am start shallow FYI

Back