I was walking up the dock at Pedder Bay yesterday around 11am and saw I nice 23lb Chinook hanging on the scale. His Wife was taking photos and the guy was all smiles, seemed pretty happy with his poached catch , my guess would be around 90cm+/-. I had to go check if the slot size had changed ? Nope ! As he has a boat moored there one would assume he’s an avid fisher…I guess my question is , as I am not DFO would you say something ? Report it? What does one do?
I don't much give a damn at this point when there are gill nets in the Fraser currently with restrictions on us. Rules should be followed. A reminder maybe in order. Not sure I would call it in. Waste of time.

Day 1 of one of the best clients a guy could have been with me now for 12 seasons!!!!!! had a blast catching alot of salmon and a beauty hatch coho. we lost a few nice ones at boat had one in very shallow water do the figure 8 on water zipping around at Mach 10 . Must admit this year these springs are spicy!!! great fighters. hard to believe only a few weeks left of this great fun fishery this year.
1629372731405.png

I agree, we already have a diminished fishery.
weeding through big Springs to get an 80cm slot puts those
bigger fish at risk.
make it "one and done" if it's truly a conservation issue.
The problem with the one and done theory is there is no way to enforce the one and done rule. A lot of guys will just keep fishing until they get the big one they are looking for. 4 or more guys in a boat all looking for big ones. I am very concerned about more total closures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went out again today. It was a bit foggy but at the harbour mouth we could see Otter so we ran down to Muir.

Lines in the water about 7:30am and as we did so visibility declined considerably. Stayed like that all morning, with visibility limited to about 200 meters. Flat calm though. At 8:00am we had a good solid hit and we played a feisty fish which sounded hard at the boat. Eventually we brought a nice 77cm/16lb fish to the net. :)

As the much vaunted tide change began it all slowed down. We were kept interested by little jigging bites which stripped the bait or left just a chewed mess behind. I suspected little guys and we did eventually bring up a couple of baby chinook and one sockeye. In this way 3 hours passed in the fog, with the odd wave to the boats looming out of the mist to pass the time.

At 11:15am we were thinking of calling it, but my wife said let’s do one more loop here. (I know! They don’t make them like that any more!! ;):)). At 11:30am we had another good solid hit and this time he was a runner not a sounder. When netted he was smaller at 73cm and 14lb. :)

Both fish came to the green/gold t.h. little herring combo on the same side, once again.

Fishing sure is great right now and it made for a relaxing morning having to wait 3 hours for the second chinook without constant pinks or sockeye!
Twomorefish.jpg

Late report from Tuesday out of cheanuh. Fished from the crack of 9 til 2 ish mostly off Beechy with the rest. People catching all around me and notta for me til 1130 ish then constant frantic action. Got some pinks kept 1 then releasing rest and bunch small springs. Then pin popper at 55’ on DR with white coho killer. It did whole bunch of runs and 15 or so later got him in net. 79 cm with 18 in girth which by online salmon weight calculator would be 13 ish pounds. Nice red/orange flesh for future sushi and bbq eats. Also released a couple wild coho and kept one of the next bigger pinks. A good day with lots of action, now that’s fishing

Attachments

• 13325FE7-77DE-47A8-937D-62C3FF0B51F1.jpeg
    13325FE7-77DE-47A8-937D-62C3FF0B51F1.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 11819622-616A-4E57-8005-8F05513BB538.jpeg
    11819622-616A-4E57-8005-8F05513BB538.jpeg
    490.1 KB · Views: 149
Took a day trip from Pedder to Church Rock beginning around Noon stayed out until 6 PM. Very big tides yesterday and Race passage was moving at a very good clip. Looked for a lee on the flood around the islands, No salmon and I wanted to be at Bechey head for tide change @ 2. Trolled past the head and got into the pinks pretty good on the Purple coho killer and a nice purple haze looking flasher. Around 70-80 feet on the Downrigger, No springs for me but what a day on the water the fog lifted around 1 or so and it was a great night.

Has anyone had any success with a medium herring in the larger teaser head? I have always used anchovies in the smaller heads but with the shortage I have been using the medium herrings with no success at all. The pink I cleaned at the table last night all had bait fish around the same size of the coho killer lures.

Late report from Tuesday out of cheanuh. Fished from the crack of 9 til 2 ish mostly off Beechy with the rest. People catching all around me and notta for me til 1130 ish then constant frantic action. Got some pinks kept 1 then releasing rest and bunch small springs. Then pin popper at 55’ on DR with white coho killer. It did whole bunch of runs and 15 or so later got him in net. 79 cm with 18 in girth which by online salmon weight calculator would be 13 ish pounds. Nice red/orange flesh for future sushi and bbq eats. Also released a couple wild coho and kept one of the next bigger pinks. A good day with lots of action, now that’s fishing
You should buy a scale, you’re short changing yourself by 5lbs there

A bit slower today than the last 2 Saturdays (Chinook), fished Otter, Muir and out front of Sooke harbor. A 12lb spring, 3 hatchery coho and 2 Pinks. Released 2 nice Sockeye. Off the water at 11:30am to get stuck in the Prestige boat ramp gong show

Attachments

• 20210821_114320_HDR.jpg
    20210821_114320_HDR.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 98
Sooke has been absolutely on Fire the last couple of weeks but has slowed in the past couple of days for Springs. It was unbelievable some mornings. Crazy fishing and all springs. Slow meaning 3-6 springs, as opposed to 12-16 springs per fishing trip. Obviously there is a huge number of Pinks which I don't care for much and Coho are starting to show off Secretary Island in ok numbers. Released a beauty 10 lb Wild Coho off Otter. A few good weeks left until the springs are gone. Hopefully the Coho fishing will be insane like last year. Hears to hoping.

Yes still good but have to work a bit harder for them the full moon and big morning ebb tides makes it a bit harder, yesterday late morning bite time came on hard after the am was very slow, got a TRIPLE header on springs landed them all with a lot of scrambling!! LOL let the one go as we only needed 2 to fill the box , GREAT couple of days with these guys..even got 1 for me to take home, AP spoon is still hammering for me it has been nicknamed the " spoon of death" there isnt much tape left on it and its been bent a few times but ill keep fishing it!!!
1629635056887.png
1629635104571.png

Very slow morning yesterday. Started at Muir and lost a spring at the boat early. Then nothing but a couple of pinks fir a couple hours. Moved down to otter and not much was going on till my son decided we should fish the shallows with gear up high so we moved in to 50ft of water with gear at 25 and 30. We hit 3 springs in 4 passes. Then there seemed to be a bit of bite around noon-1:00. So in the end we kept 2 springs, 1 coho and pink. Lost 3 springs. 1 spring was 80cm on the nose and fat. Heaviest slot fish I’ve had I’d say. Wish we got him last week in derby.
So could have slept in and started at 11 and would have done just as well or better.

Back