Gave beecher bay a go yeasterday in the wind about 40 boats out. Seemed to be a morning bite then another about noon when the tide/current change got a big tide line going off aldridge. Kept 4 pinks, let go about 4 coho, let go a nice 12 lb chinook hatchy after some reel screamming runs, lost some pinks and a big coho. Great action.

Out today from 4-7 at the navy can. Lost 1 coho at the surface, not sure if hatch or wild. Landed (released without net) a small wild spring. Fishing in 200, DRs at 68 and 45. Wind was wicked but seas were very tolerable surprisingly. Coho on white hootchie with pink highlights. Spring was on skinny g no bananas.

Well, after:-
  • One pandemic third wave
  • Two mRNA jabs,
  • One total knee replacement surgery
  • The arrival of grandchild #2
  • A world attention getting record heat wave
  • And endless wind and fog subsequently
we finally got out on the water again at 6:45am today after an absence of 9 months!

New BWD website said it would be “Okish” so we gave it a go. Fished at 50-65’, in 130-250’ of water with pink and pink striped hootchies and squirts. Still turned out lumpier and foggier than we expected, but we limited on pinks in under two hours and called it a day. Released one unclipped coho only. May have been more coho further out but got even lumpier past 250’ so did not try.

Anyone know what the big cream coloured can buoy with the orange flashing light on top is all about, just off Possession?? Weird….?
You have been missed I haven’t been out your way in a very long time but I haven’t forgot about the oil for your Etec I have also jabs and new hips. I will be in touch when the wind and fog abates.

Out of Beecher yesterday for the first time this year. A bit bumpy and foggy at the head that eventually cleared up. My buddy released a nice 14-15lb spring at the boat and one nice unclipped Coho. He kept one small clipped coho and had many hook ups that didn't stick. Kept my limit of pinks, released a few and a few more that didn't stick. No coho or springs for me. Best depth was 40-50ft on the DR and 380-400ft straight out from the head. Best time was 8:30 to 9am and 1-2:30PM . Skinny G for me and coho killers for my buddy.

Went out today with my wife, her dad (absolute gem in every way) my 5 yr old and my 1 yr old (birthday today July 14th). My youngest brought all the luck. Started out near the navy can and did ok released a few small coho.
Decided to try come in to protected water and fish bait near the kelp in 40 of water and 37 and 32 on the DR.... the fishing was unbelievable. Probably 12 hooked at least around 8 "landed" in 2 hours.
I didn't realize tyees were around but today we landed a fish to remember... no less than 35lb ive hosted a fishing derby with 20+ guys for many many years so I believe I have a decent eye for fish weight. This was a rare July tree. Released but had to take a picture.

Attachments

• IMG-20210714-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210714-WA0003.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 346
Went out today with my wife, her dad (absolute gem in every way) my 5 yr old and my 1 yr old (birthday today July 14th). My youngest brought all the luck. Started out near the navy can and did ok released a few small coho.
Decided to try come in to protected water and fish bait near the kelp in 40 of water and 37 and 32 on the DR.... the fishing was unbelievable. Probably 12 hooked at least around 8 "landed" in 2 hours.
I didn't realize tyees were around but today we landed a fish to remember... no less than 35lb ive hosted a fishing derby with 20+ guys for many many years so I believe I have a decent eye for fish weight. This was a rare July tree. Released but had to take a picture.
About 27lbs...

28# max. That if you are tall.

High 20's for sure , sounds like you had a great day on the water !

PLEASE no hero shots as it makes us look bad, YES im happy you got a fish YES im proud you got a fish!!!!!
Take a pic of it in water and say let it go beside boat makes a way more respectful manner. NOT mauling it to death taking off slime.
It was put it to me this way a VERY long time ago go run up and down a hill as fast as you can till your winded NOW try and chug back a liter of water, that is essentially what you have done to the fish exhausted it out and now taken away his oxygen supply to take to net it lay in boat take picture,hug it, kiss it, pose with it, lay down beside it and then toss it over sometimes its too late , just take a photo of it. The less handling the better WHY not for the sake of THE fish!!!! Hopefully make it to the river, and for the people oh it swam away just fine . YUP to the bottom or flopped over dead, ive seen it when I did hatchery work how fragile they are by being over handled...

Last edited:
The debate over the handling of fish and guessing of weights from a photo have been had many times over. We are going to put stop to this latest version right here. Hope you all have a great time on the water and the fish cooperate for

The debate over the handling of fish and guessing of weights from a photo have been had many times over. We are going to put stop to this latest version right here. Hope you all have a great time on the water and the fish cooperate for you!
Noted

Beauty! :)

28# max. That if you are tall.

:cool:
6ft 3' 260

He was fat with big shoulders and long enough to be wider than us side by side. I couldn't come close to wrapping my hand around his tail without a 3 inch gap between my fingers.

Note the treble hook in his mouth. Probably a good thing we didn't release him beside the boat and have him not be able to feed or worse if he swallowed that hook and leader

IMG-20210716-WA0004.jpg

why take it out of the water and grip it with 4 hands and wipe it with a sweat shirt?
The leader broke and we needed to get the treble out of his mouth. It was back in the water in less than 90 seconds and swam away.

why? serious questions i've seen mixed reviews on this

why? serious questions i've seen mixed reviews on this
Felt like the safe thing to do for the fish. Instinctively i felt that if this fish swallowed that hook or if the leader and hook entered the gills that fish would have zero chance of survival.
I understand some of the backlash and expected it. Its great that people want to educate others about the proper handling procedures but not every situation is the same and shaming someone who is only trying to give back to the forum that I look at quite often is not the answer especially when you don't personally know me. Every hook I get wet is barbless, I don't take what's not open, I don't keep more than my limit, I educate my kids on the importance of keeping the ocean clean. When we see garbage in the water we turn the boat around and pick it up.
In the past 3 days I landed (released beside the boat) 20+ fish. 1 entered the net in those 3 days. It was a fish of a lifetime for my Father in law and I am happy he has a picture. I am very aware that touching a fish is not ideal but I am not so naive to believe a touched fish is a dead fish. If it becomes a problem I can happily keep my reports to myself.

Back