Out off bluffs and secretary today from 9 TIL 12:30 arrived at prestige for 8 but tide too low to launch until 9. Lots of action and lots of long distance spits on pink grand slam with two hooks. Remembered reading post about switching that to one j hook on swivel but opted for switch to spoons instead of relying on water and hook ups improved big time. Ended up releasing 4 smaller springs and a wild coho but took home 3 pinks and one hatch coho. A few spit it at me beside boat, the old solo netting needs improvement . Everyone seemed to be getting their nets out lots. Spent most my time in 350-400+ FOW with DR at 38 to 56 ‘. Pink coho killer took a beating today and a few bites also on AP spoon with pink on it.

Hi, sorry as off topic but I’m headed over to Sooke next weekend to visit and brining the boat. What is a good marina to launch and park the truck and trailer. Also fuel up the boat. I have a 2425 Kingfisher.
Thanks, Rob

Hi, sorry as off topic but I’m headed over to Sooke next weekend to visit and brining the boat. What is a good marina to launch and park the truck and trailer. Also fuel up the boat. I have a 2425 Kingfisher.
Thanks, Rob
Cheanauh marina in east sooke got fuel

Thanks, Rob
Cheanauha or Pedder bay both have fuel and a marina

I would say Pedder is a slightly nicer launch but depending on where you want to fish Cheanauha is closer to fishing

Thanks, Rob
Don’t think Cheanuh allows overnight parking though.

in the basin only game in play is sunny shores for fuel. and they do indeed have parking

Out today and started by getting our 8 pinks out of the way first. 25-35 ft and once the ebb slowed down they were biting and we got our 8 after loosing way to many. Last half of the trip we trolled Otter for springs. We released 2 16-17 pound fish from 2 different runs...one long and skinny and one fat and shorter. Released 1 wild coho and then at the end of the trip we finished with a double. 21-22 pounds and a 14...had to leave a hook in the 22...had it way down in the bottom of the gills. Hopefully it drops out or it shakes it out. Small anchovies 45 and 50 ft.

Back to fishing, pinks and more pinks!!
They can well and if iced and bled quickly they are tasty.

I am grateful to be able and catch some and not have to let it go !

Good luck in the am all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was out yesterday coming down from Victoria I was hoping to hit the pinks just past race rocks. Trolled for 30 min and no bite. Fog was there and beachy head was covered.

Then fog moved off beachy and as we had no luck (or any boats around us) I picked up gear and blasted over it beachy. Once there we started getting bites. Still not hot fishing but we managed over 2 hours to get our limits in pinks and even 2 clipped coho.

Seemed like spotty fishing for a lot of people by what was in the radio.

Pink squirt on an old orange flasher was the big producer at 68ft on the rigger.

Coho hit on a green apTackleworks sandlance.

Arrived around 9 and left before 12. Fog in race passage on the way back. Glad I put a radar on the boat this winter. I've been using it a lot lately.

Called out on the radio the area and rig that worked for me on 68 to help anyone else who hadn't had luck with the pinks before left

Got out yesterday for our second trip this month and I counted 35 boats just out of Sooke and most targeting pinks. Like us.
Fraser River Pink returns average 11.5 mil, this year the estimated returns are 3 mil and then they have to make it past the Big Bar slide to spawn.
I hope they are wrong about the returns estimates and Pinks are not on the C&R list next..

Had a good day out with my cousin from Manitoba Saturday. Caught a teenager that was clipped on a medium Herring and another Chinook about 8 pounds on a Glo White Hoochy. Both released at the boat to swim another day at the Trap. Focused on Coho for most of the day. Kept 3 clipped out of about 10 landed with the white Hoochy doing most of the catching. Most of the Coho came off Bechy in about 180 feet of water and between 53 and 63 on the DR. Little foggy to kick off the day but turned into a beauty morning after it burned off.IMG_6226.jpg
IMG_6221.jpg
20210724_085850.jpg

Out around Secretary this morning, released a low teenager before 9 then played with pinks some in the boat and a lot stayed out of the boat, lol.
Great morning.

Out again today from 6 to 2 pm. Started on pinks and got 4 in the big ebb and stiff westerlies. Crap conditions for early morning and had a 9 year old parting with breakfast a couple hours in. Decided to run to Otter and fish Chinook in the back eddy where it was much calmer. Released 5 springs 17,15, 10, 7 and 5 pounds. By noon the water at Otter was getting ugly so we angled back out into deeper water and finished off our 12 pinks on a one way tack home with the wind on our tail. Pinks were 20-30 ft and springs were 45-50 again today.

I didn’t hear much about the incident when the guide fell from the boat is he alright? And also his guest?
I am sure stupid to have disabled my kill switch and don’t have a boarding ladder and I often fish solo I do wear my pfd

I didn’t hear much about the incident when the guide fell from the boat is he alright? And also his guest?
I am sure stupid to have disabled my kill switch and don’t have a boarding ladder and I often fish solo I do wear my pfd
It's hard to move about the boat with the kill switch attached to you. If it's at all rough and I am by myself, which I often am. In addition to my pfd, I will tie a rope around my waist. It's long enough that I can get to the back of the boat on both sides, but the boat can't go anywhere without me. I guess some day I should do a trial of my system with another person on board just in case I can't actually get back in.

It's hard to move about the boat with the kill switch attached to you. If it's at all rough and I am by myself, which I often am. In addition to my pfd, I will tie a rope around my waist. It's long enough that I can get to the back of the boat on both sides, but the boat can't go anywhere without me. I guess some day I should do a trial of my system with another person on board just in case I can't actually get back in.
I'd like to watch that test run. Make sure the rope is long enough that you aren't the same distance as your motors ;). In all seriousness, there are some proximity kill switches that I looked at a while back but never bought. They were about $500 back then.

You guys are nervous nellies this is the first time ive heard of this in 30 years. I really wouldn't worry too much from what I heard the guys was hip checked into the drink by the client rushing to the rod.
Think to your self how many time you have seen a guy fishing fall in??
ive seen more guys slip and take a drink at boat launch or boats slipping off the roller etc..
I will add Most of guides who have been in the field a long time do a pre safety check list and tell people where certain thing are in boat ex .
first aid kits, flares, channel 16 , lifejackets , and fire extinguishers. i go on about toilet use and if your feeling sick, a long list i have a whole sheet that I have printed out on dash I go by and its all on there so they can read it.
From what ive heard they are as green as the ocean in chartering so take it as it is.
Just glad that all is ok and everyone is safe it could have turned out WAY worse.

On another note fishing has slowed a bit for pink not red hot like last week but these HUGE tides and full moon do not help , still getting fish , Spring on other hand are insane can hardly wait till sunday!!!!!
One thing that is very concerning lately almost everyday I see guys either being towed in or coming in on kicker , please guys for safety sake replace the fuel filters in your boat and check you engines over and fix things do some preventive matenance if you havent put new plugs,filters,cps etc etc etc . do it before you head out yes maybe the boat ran GREAT last year but sitting all year gremlins may happening. with these weird winds were are getting and not alot of people out your kinda by yourself out there. last thing we want is a boat crashing up on shore...

Yeah slow trolled behind a run away boat sounds fun !

Did a little catch and release for springs this morning. Stayed between 100-150’ rigger at 63’ safely released 2 in the low 20#. Both fell for the big eye spoon derby winner behind a madi flasher. Numerous small springs and some pinks. Beechy head to the trap. Back in by noon

Back