I launched my kayak from Cheanuh again yesterday (March 16) and after losing several fish while trying to get some video I finally left the camera alone and landed one. My fishing partner picked up a couple of keepers as well as releasing some and losing a number of other ones. There was lots of action and it was a beautiful day to be out on the water.

I launched my kayak from Cheanuh again yesterday (March 16) and after losing several fish while trying to get some video I finally left the camera alone and landed one. My fishing partner picked up a couple of keepers as well as releasing some and losing a number of other ones. There was lots of action and it was a beautiful day to be out on the water.

Nicely done thank you for sharing

Awesome, thanks for capturing that, Cliff! That's the biggest one I've caught this winter and I'm counting down the days until I can pull it out of the freezer for sashimi.
It's too bad I wasn't close enough to get those wild jumps on camera; it's always a blast to see a spring get airborne that many times.

Thanks for getting out early to bird-dog those fish before I even got on the water. Ha!

It's too bad I wasn't close enough to get those wild jumps on camera; it's always a blast to see a spring get airborne that many times.

Thanks for getting out early to bird-dog those fish before I even got on the water. Ha!
Haha, my pleasure! It was a great morning out there, and the least I've had to paddle to find them... ever, I think. And yeah, that fish was seriously acrobatic.

Rest of the report: released a number of legal but small (45-50cm) fish before finding this 64cm and a 55. All jigging on the bottom in 110ft. All of the fish I caught were clipped.

Out from Pedder yesterday. 7AM-2PM. One little chicken, a few dogfish and a ratfish for my efforts. Great day and good currents with quite a few boats around. Spoke to a couple of guys at the dock that had a couple of 12-15lb chickens as well. One other guy had one around 25-30lbs.

I launched my kayak from Cheanuh Marina yesterday, March 23; once again about mid-morning. Grant from the marina told me the fish were moving out of the bay, past Aldridge and down toward Beechy Head. There was noticeably less action than has been the case for the past month or so, but I did hook into four springs, none of which I got to the kayak. I put two losses down to playing around with a new Smart Remote for my camera that is intended to cut down on the number of fish I lose trying to get video; the other two just beat me with wild head shakes. The only fish I actually got to the kayak were a couple of small cod.

A number of power boaters I talked to were travelling farther and getting less action, too, so it wasn't just me. Hopefully things will pick up for the derby on Saturday--not that I'll be there.

The wind picked up in the afternoon, but it was still a splendid day to be on the water.

Cod 1.jpgCod 2.jpg

Little update for those in the derby. Ran west today am for a change. Muir to Sheringham, no bait, no hits. Tried Otter, no bait, couple rats, found an unmarked trap but got my gear back. Then hit up the Bluffs, no bait, more rats. Back on land till May 1st for me.

Last day before the closure was a beauty in the sunshine out of Cheanuh. We managed 3 salmon: a 9, an 8 and a little guy at 3.5, as well as 6 Dungies. Time to try my luck with halibut.
T2

Attachments

• F072E7EC-9786-424D-BD41-9FA044303CC4.jpeg
    F072E7EC-9786-424D-BD41-9FA044303CC4.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 86
I launched my kayak from Cheanuh marina again on March 31 and managed to hook into three springs, landed two and kept an end-of-the-licence-year spring and a couple of juvenile sablefish.

There was a veritable flotilla of kayak fishermen out for the final day--Mike, Steve, Keene, Adrian (thanks for snapping a photo)--as well as frequent kayaker David who was out in a canoe with his friend Trevor. I believe Steve, Keene and Trevor all landed keeper springs.

I launched my kayak from Cheanuh marina again on March 31 and managed to hook into three springs, landed two and kept an end-of-the-licence-year spring and a couple of juvenile sablefish.

There was a veritable flotilla of kayak fishermen out for the final day--Mike, Steve, Keene, Adrian (thanks for snapping a photo)--as well as frequent kayaker David who was out in a canoe with his friend Trevor. I believe Steve, Keene and Trevor all landed keeper springs.

Yep, Trevor brought a 55cm home and had a few others on (released one undersize). Keene caught his limit pretty early in the day. Great last day for a few months. I'm impressed by how well that beat up old canoe handled in the breeze and chop. Sportspal for the win.

I haven been out in the Basin fishing shrimps lately. Unfortunately, thieves stole my both traps today. Not sure, if I'm the only lucky one or if others got stolen too. I've been fishing there a few seasons and it is the first time I've got this type of trouble. Really sad.
Here a pic of one of my traps a few days ago. Notice that I tied stainless steel rings in the openings to reduce them in size. This makes my traps a bit unique in appearance.
20210410_090419.jpg

Out to Jordan River today and managed a low 20's chicken about 20 minutes before quitting time. Cool and some drizzle but nice flat water all morning and afternoon.

Fished the retention area inside Becher Bay today. Had a pin popper that didn't stick and lost one at the boat that looked to be 7 or 8 pounds. Saw 4 other fish hooked inside the zone and talked to someone on the dock who had an 18 and 8 pound clipped on Saturday. Was a great reminder of what a beautiful place we live in!

IMG_20210530_143616_182.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully this thread will get some legs come June 1st

Fished the bay for a few hours this morning got one just big enough to keep.

FOMO got to me and I had to troll out and see what was going on with all the boats off Aldridge. Lots of coho action going on, released a few hatchery fish I will be back for next weekend.

Fished the retention area inside Becher Bay today. Had a pin popper that didn't stick and lost one at the boat that looked to be 7 or 8 pounds. Saw 4 other fish hooked inside the zone and talked to someone on the dock who had an 18 and 8 pound clipped on Saturday. Was a great reminder of what a beautiful place we live in!

View attachment 66431

Just curious, no size restrictions as long as it’s hatchery marked ?

I just looked up the regs as I didn’t even know Beecher bay was open, thus I have been focused on yard work and being patient. I may have to try and get out !!

Back