Just curious, no size restrictions as long as it’s hatchery marked ?

I just looked up the regs as I didn’t even know Beecher bay was open, thus I have been focused on yard work and being patient. I may have to try and get out !!
As stated above, minimum size is 45 cm, but no max size on hatchery marked.

Here is the variation order from the Fisheries and Ocean website. No note of Max size for area 20-5.

Subarea 20-5 (portions of Beecher Bay):

That portion of Subarea 20-5 northerly of a line drawn from 48°19.554'N, 123°37.768'W to 48°19.589'N, 123°36.533'W, then following the shoreline of Frazer Island east to the RCA boundary at 48°19.700'N, 123°36.267'W, then to 48°19.633'N, 123°35.681'W; and

Effective immediately to 23:59 hours July 31, 2021, one (1) Chinook per day hatchery-marked only. The minimum size in Area 20 is 45 cm.

Variation Order: 2021-RFQ-279

As stated above, minimum size is 45 cm, but no max size on hatchery marked.

Here is the variation order from the Fisheries and Ocean website. No note of Max size for area 20-5.

Subarea 20-5 (portions of Beecher Bay):

That portion of Subarea 20-5 northerly of a line drawn from 48°19.554'N, 123°37.768'W to 48°19.589'N, 123°36.533'W, then following the shoreline of Frazer Island east to the RCA boundary at 48°19.700'N, 123°36.267'W, then to 48°19.633'N, 123°35.681'W; and

Effective immediately to 23:59 hours July 31, 2021, one (1) Chinook per day hatchery-marked only. The minimum size in Area 20 is 45 cm.

Variation Order: 2021-RFQ-279

Awesome thanks. I should have clarified I meant no max size.

Anchored from 6-10am off of Pedder today in 330ft of water. We picked up a chicken at 9:30 and also had a few dogfish.. Talked to a guy on the way in that had picked up a couple of chickens as well.

Beauty of a day on the water and to top things off, after cleaning things up, I had plenty of time to watch the Habs beat the Leafs in game 7. How could a day "possibly" be any better than that.

Ii
Anchored from 6-10am off of Pedder today in 330ft of water. We picked up a chicken at 9:30 and also had a few dogfish.. Talked to a guy on the way in that had picked up a couple of chickens as well.

Beauty of a day on the water and to top things off, after cleaning things up, I had plenty of time to watch the Habs beat the Leafs in game 7. How could a day "possibly" be any better than that.
i tried the same late morning TIL early afternoon but couldn’t keep my bait on bottom with biggest weight allowed. Arghhh

Ii

i tried the same late morning TIL early afternoon but couldn’t keep my bait on bottom with biggest weight allowed. Arghhh
When we pulled up at 10am the current was picking up pretty good. Good currents again tomorrow morning and a couple of hours mid-afternoon on.

When we pulled up at 10am the current was picking up pretty good. Good currents again tomorrow morning and a couple of hours mid-afternoon on.
Yes I’m going to pay closer attention to current tables when planning my Hali trips. Still learning the Hali game. Congrats on getting the chicken

Out again yesterday as the current and winds were too good to pass up. Lots of boats out on a beautiful day.
6:30 to 11:30 and mixed it up with a few dogfish, a skate, a ratfish and at 11:30, on my last piece of bait, got a hali at 112cm. Biggest one in the boat this year.

On the days with to fast current to keep lines on bottom I will plug into the riggers with the old school red pin Scotty release pins....I tie the green clip in to the leader end of the spreader bar...put the rod end of the spreader bar on the end of the rigger , then use a 12 inch blue rubber snubber on the bottom of the spreader bar to the 15 pound ball....keeps the bait off the bottom. When the current slows down enough I switch back to weights on the rods. Just have to have enough cable on the riggers for the depth you are fishing. Nice thing with the rigger set up is no weight or spreader bar on the rod when playing a hali.

Last edited:
On the days with to fast current to keep lines on bottom I will plug into the riggers with the old school red pin Scotty release pins....I tie the red pin to the leader end of the spreader bar...put the rod end of the spreader bar on the end of the rigger , then use a 12 inch blue rubber snubber on the bottom of the spreader bar to the 15 pound ball....keeps the bait off the bottom. When the current slows down enough I switch back to weights on the rods. Just have to have enough cable on the riggers for the depth you are fishing. Nice thing with the rigger set up is no weight or spreader bar on the rod when playing a hali.

Interesting. Can you post a picture or diagram? I’m having a hard time visualizing it.

Saxe...where you normally tie spreader bar to rod that connection goes to weight clip on downrigger...where you normally clip on your 2 pound ball with 2 ft leader that is where the rubber snubber goes with your 15 pound ball...then on the long end where your bait hangs from tie on the green part of the old Scotty release clip...could use a piece of wire for this or heavier mono. (I think above I said the red pin, my mistake) the red pin is on your rod line. Plug it into the green clip and lower the rigger. Hali will pull the red pin...I jam it in really tight for hali.

I use the spreader because it helps prevent wraps around the cable and allows faster descents because the bait/hooks stay further away from the rigger cable...the spreader is also stiff and allows cranking down on the rod more (especially with the heavier hali rods) to take out line slack to the clip....loose less fish.

I use the spreader because it helps prevent wraps around the cable and allows faster descents because the bait/hooks stay further away from the rigger cable...the spreader is also stiff and allows cranking down on the rod more (especially with the heavier hali rods) to take out line slack to the clip....loose less fish.
Thanks Rollie, this is really helpful. Two more questions. Is there any reason you use a pin style release rather than the regular Scotty pinch style? Could the regular release clip work?

Second question. When you fish with this, do you troll or anchor up? Or both?

You could fish both slow troll or anchor but mostly on anchor when current keeps lifting the 2 pound ball off bottom. I have disconnected from my anchor right at slack and done a slow troll around other the boats that were anchored up waiting for the other boats to swing on their anchors before hooking back up to the anchor again. Only do that if I know there is going to be an hour or more of total slack current. I use the red pin because it doesn't slip if you need to pop it free but just my personal preference.

Back