2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Lol..... Was at stevston boat launch couple weeks ago..... While waiting for the movie boat to load. Guy asks where I going, I return the question. His reply sandheads..... Lmao just no clue sometimes

Coming from Mike, sandheads means the light. In an area DFO deliberately leaves open. It's not a secret and we don't need to hide it

Please explain...I would like to know what you believe and I got texts about your post too....they want to know what you're thinking.

I know how to close 29-3 and 29-4...DFO can deliberately close it right now if they want to as well....all Saltwater participants in Lower Mainland just have to go fish it right now and post pictures of their catches and I'll show you a closure PDQ.

I know why 29-3 and 29-4 are open....and those who know are all VERY thankful....at least for those of us who know WHY it's open...

The Fraser River Guides aren't happy at all about the Salt remaining open...some of whom have turned it down to about 1/4 volume on Social Media...and many many local tackle shops aren't happy either....so define deliberately leaving it open?

The assertion that you seem to be making is that dfo is confused and doesn't understand what is and isn't the banana, and if they find out that 29-3 is so close to the Fraser, they'll close it.
I'm saying that they aren't necessarily that incompetent, and they've knowingly left 29-3 open, it's a large area, and comes close to many areas, including the banana.
29-3 seems to be wide open water to me, and I've never heard of dfo caring that much about it.

Now I'm not saying there isn't a case for redrawing the boundary in the area directly North of sandheads light and creating a more consistent buffer in front of the river, I'd even personally be in favor of it if it was well thought out by biologists, and not just pressure from special interest groups

Last edited:
Please explain...I would like to know what you believe and I got texts about your post too....they want to know what you're thinking.

I know how to close 29-3 and 29-4...DFO can deliberately close it right now if they want to as well....all Saltwater participants in Lower Mainland just have to go fish it right now and post pictures of their catches and I'll show you a closure PDQ.

I know why 29-3 and 29-4 are open....and those who know are all VERY thankful....at least for those of us who know WHY it's open...

The Fraser River Guides aren't happy at all about the Salt remaining open...some of whom have turned it down to about 1/4 volume on Social Media...and many many local tackle shops aren't happy either....so define deliberately leaving it open?
Think the difference in regs between fresh and salt has more to do with the location of FN historical fisheries in rivers and at the mouth of the Fraser vs. In open water than any thing else,but I'm no expert as you seem to be...

Any reports? I m going for the night bite tomorrow. Roger curtis or HITW? What do you guys suggest?

Any reports? I m going for the night bite tomorrow. Roger curtis or HITW? What do you guys suggest?

There may be some coho starting to show up along west van shoreline. Hopefully with this dry spell, the river level has dropped and the fish will start stacking up.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how far east are 29-3/29-4 in relation to the Sandheads light station?

Let's be honest here. Rarely guys post live reports on here, it's usually at the end of the day or next day. So really that's just good for nothing bragging to people you don't even know.

Just post a location and whether you got on a fish, nothing more needs to be said.

I know of private groups where guys are religiously posting live reports on the water, that means no ammo for the anti rec fish people.

The assertion that you seem to be making is that dfo is confused and doesn't understand what is and isn't the banana, and if they find out that 29-3 is so close to the Fraser, they'll close it.
I'm saying that they aren't necessarily that incompetent, and they've knowingly left 29-3 open, it's a large area, and comes close to many areas, including the banana.
29-3 seems to be wide open water to me, and I've never heard of dfo caring that much about it.

Now I'm not saying there isn't a case for redrawing the boundary in the area directly North of sandheads light and creating a more consistent buffer in front of the river, I'd even personally be in favor of it if it was well thought out by biologists, and not just pressure from special interest groups

The point I'm making is.... don't fish the boundary while the other areas are closed. I never suggested anything else of the sort.

Without getting into the history of the current state of affairs and letters written by various stakeholders, meetings, boards, etc going back the last 15 years and the fundamentals going back 25 years....that's what you should know.....the reality that 29-3 and 29-4 IS open in recent years is serendipity.

If anyone sincerely wants no Chinook retention in all of 29-3 and 29-4, or slot limits only---the by all means have at it....fish the boundaries right at the river mouth just because "it's legal" while the other areas are closed. DFO won't bargain....and they won't redraw thr map to suit people who should have known better.

If you want to arm FN and DFO with reasonable cause to invoke further management measures reaching and lasting further than current...then fish the boundaries.

I sincerely advise against arming other interest groups, including DFO, stakeholders et al. with any fodder, cause, rationale or otherwise which could be utilized haphazardly in a policy or management decision or shift. Don't feed or poke the bear.

FM Out.

Last edited:
TL221.JPG TL222.JPG IMG_2721.JPG IMG_2719.JPG
Ok gotta brighten up the reports. Here's a few pics of my past few days between Thrasher and French Creek. If someone can help rotate the first pics please go ahead.
Landed quite a few Springs 8-16 lbs and hatch Cohos all on spoons and hootchies between 80' - 180'

Last edited by a moderator:
We were crabbing yesterday in belcarra, and surprised by the # of crabs in our pots. Had to throw a lot back because of our limits. Only saw 1 fem amongst them. Almost all were legal size. 2 Pots were full with crab. Had them down for about 2.5 hrs and I anchored the boat in close proximity of them (just in case). Made for a nice day out.

Very quiet at west van right now and the westerly wind is picking up too. Not a lot of boats around.

Extremely slow day at Thrasher today: the crossing both ways was excellent (zero wind) and absolutely no wind throughout the day. Trolled a variety of depths and presentations but just one bite that didn't stick. Saw 20ish boats at one point today but didn't see any fish hooked or landed. Was a great day to BBQ and enjoy the weather with some good friends though.

Back