2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

great day on the water yesterday.. tried to hide from the wind so we trolled the north side of bowen, then over to Hitw. The girls suntanned on the bow of the boat, trying to rid themselves of those pesky bikini tan lines. hope you guys got to enjoy the view too

edit; no fish caught

Coho off West Van??

If anyone's wondering why we have a lack of reports off West Van it's because of the "temporary" closure of the Ambleside boat launch late last fall. This has limited safe passage and launching for trailered vessels heading out particularly from the North Shore and Burnaby residents. But really people from all over the GVRD use this launch
West Van is calling the closure temporary but we need to make sure they act and spend on a new launch replacing the existing launch which was there for over 60 years!

If you'd like to join the cause in making sure the District or West Van relocates the ramp to a new location and would like more info please either send me a PM with your email address or send an email to Phil and Andrew @ amblesiderampclosure@gmail.com. These guys have done an amazing job and spent countless hours working on the cause and we need your help and your voice at the upcoming W.V. Council meeting and beyond! (Date of this meeting yet to be determined)

On the report side of things I launched from Lions gate Marina last Sunday ($40??!!!) and braved the first narrows on an outgoing tide with incoming swell for a rough ride. Toured from the pink appts up to just before Lighthouse park with only one hit, saw a decent amount of bait and a porpoise frolicking around in our prop wash which was awesome to see

great day on the water yesterday.. tried to hide from the wind so we trolled the north side of bowen, then over to Hitw. The girls suntanned on the bow of the boat, trying to rid themselves of those pesky bikini tan lines. hope you guys got to enjoy the view too

edit; no fish caught
Don't think it mattered that day, lol.

Fished south side of Bowen from 3-7. Lost 3, pretty sure they were all unders. Heard of a few keepers caught.

Anyone heard of coho being caught off west van yet? Apparently there is fish up cap river already. I think the river water level might be a bit high still. I might try my luck this Friday.

There are a few around, but haven't boated one yet and still pretty scratchy. Spent a few hours this evening at the Cap and West Van. Couple hits that didn't stick and saw a couple jumpers (decent size too). Hopefully with the dry weather the river will drop and they'll start to stack up.

Headed over to the Bell to finish off the evening and one undersize spring.

Also stopped by the Cap yesterday on our way back from the Grande (skunked), no coho and one undersize spring.

Noticed a lot of seals while cruising from cates park to Bidwell bay. Dropped crab trap in Bidwell and anchored for lunch. Much to my surprise a seal popped up with a salmon in its mouth. Wow that is 3 weeks early if it was a pink, or was it a coho.. no way to tell but a good sign.
Can't remember getting full skunked on crab in years, not even undersied.

Last edited:
Decent action on a quick fish off Cowan from 2-4pm today. Released a wild coho and an undersize spring, then ended up with a 13lb red spring thanks to the wife's skillful netting!!

Anyone heard of coho being caught off west van yet? Apparently there is fish up cap river already. I think the river water level might be a bit high still. I might try my luck this Friday.
saw a small coho caught off West Van on Sunday, but it was extremely slow... no bites for us.

The banana is "non-retention" for all salmon except pinks.

I guess "off Sandheads" could also mean out in 29-3 or 29-4.

When I moored in canoe pass I used to fish out in 29-3 right along the line in front of Roberts Bank, and I was always amazed at how many people I'd see fishing where they shouldn't be.

They caught that fish outside the banana. Just off T10 I believe.

They caught that fish outside the banana. Just off T10 I believe.

The comment that I saw on a pic was "Sandheads". If we're talking about the same pic....

I would say if we want them to close 29-3 and 29-4 and make that non retention too that we fish these areas and post pics of our catches. Given how thing have been going so far with overall returns on the Fraser....this information is not our friend.

Back